Why do people have to be such jerks

luberhill

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I’ve been to idk easily 1000 accidents over nearly 30 years working for the FD, surface streets and parts of two expressways in Roch .

What I always told our kids, “ you have no idea, who that other driver is, career criminal , drunk , pissed at the world , angered over a break up , job loss, just an ahole , or for the really high achievers a combo of a few ,  don’t engage them and always motion like you’re sorry, even when you’re in the right .”

Then I go on , half the drivers are one or more of the following , drunk , high, have no insurance, no license, no money  ,driving stolen cars and so on . I’ve been to accidents where drivers were shooting up heroin , drunk , burying vodka bottles in the snow bank , fled on foot , and ones who switched drivers . Not everyone out there is like you fellas . 

Never ever agree to let them pay instead of going through insurance,I’ve seen people burned on each side of that .

I taught Defensive driving classes for about 20 years and told my classes about the same.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its not just driving - spend 5 minutes on facebook.  My theory is people in general are just more rude these days, less respect for others and actually we are loosing ground on basic intelligence.  I cant wait to retire and trim my list down to 2 and sit on my porch and tell everyone else to get off my lawn. 

You seem like such a level headed guy,I am surprised you are that disillusioned with people. I am not judging, don't get me wrong. I feel the same,as I get older I find fewer reasonable people in the world. I think we just tend to hear more from the loud and rash folks,which are on both sides of the political spectrum.

I have as few interactions with strangers as possible myself. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt,but cross me and I will remember and usually just disengage. I have to meet people for work being self employed,but i find myself being much more selective in who i work for than I was 10 years ago.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

You seem like such a level headed guy,I am surprised you are that disillusioned with people. I am not judging, don't get me wrong. I feel the same,as I get older I find fewer reasonable people in the world. I think we just tend to hear more from the loud and rash folks,which are on both sides of the political spectrum.

I have as few interactions with strangers as possible myself. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt,but cross me and I will remember and usually just disengage. I have to meet people for work being self employed,but i find myself being much more selective in who i work for than I was 10 years ago.

so many people i run into these days are just well......Dishonest.  Dont get me wrong there are lots of good salt of the earth people but i am so often thinking to myself these days between all the scams, crime, social media mess, carelessness on the road, and then people who are just so self serving i have def become some disillusioned. So many people just out for themselves and think what they do is so important in the world that they are all that matter.  When really it isnt.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Its not just driving - spend 5 minutes on facebook.  My theory is people in general are just more rude these days, less respect for others and actually we are loosing ground on basic intelligence.  I cant wait to retire and trim my list down to 2 and sit on my porch and tell everyone else to get off my lawn. 

I think there was a Clint Eastwood movie like that!

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

HE FORGOT HE WASN'T ON FACEBOOK AND STARTED TALKING SHIT AND I SMACKED HIS  BITCH ASS - )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So heading out to dinner, get off the thruway and some idiot is right on my butt in 35 mph zone …
So I try to make room with the car ahead of me , the dude behind me pulls up next to me rolls his window down, i ignore him and keep driving.
 At the light he pulls over on the shoulder on the right side and again rolls his window down and says “ you got a problem”
I said “ nope” he follows that up with “ good thing or I’ll knock your F’n teeth out”
I said “ don’t threaten me”…he said “ call the cops then tough guy”
Then he said  “ follow me around the corner”
I just kept driving on my way…
I don’t get people having to be such jerks !
Always seems like it’s some low life idiot trying to prove something 

Sorry I was just having a bad day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

After attending a memorial mass for my mother this morning, I was driving a carload of out of town relatives and stopped at a dinner for lunch. I was not pulling out of the dinner parking lot fast enough for the guy who was behind me and that guy started honking his horn and saying something to himself and making hand gestures to me. He must have been going someplace very important and my taking a extra minute to check the road was safely clear before I pulled out with a carload of people was clearly keeping him from getting there. In truth I was a little slow in pulling out but it was a very difficult morning for me and I certainly did not want to be responsible for a accident that may have made the day even worse. I was upset after it happened but no good would have come from it had I shouted back at him. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OldBrian said:

After attending a memorial mass for my mother this morning, I was driving a carload of out of town relatives and stopped at a dinner for lunch. I was not pulling out of the dinner parking lot fast enough for the guy who was behind me and that guy started honking his horn and saying something to himself and making hand gestures to me. He must have been going someplace very important and my taking a extra minute to check the road was safely clear before I pulled out with a carload of people was clearly keeping him from getting there. In truth I was a little slow in pulling out but it was a very difficult morning for me and I certainly did not want to be responsible for a accident that may have made the day even worse. I was upset after it happened but no good would have come from it had I shouted back at him. 

Sorry to hear about you mother Brian and sorry that you had to deal with a road rage ding bat on such a somber occasion.  Prayers sent for you and your family.  

Thinking about you and your tent camp, as I am under a tree umbrella, in the pouring down rain with my ML, up here in the Adirondacks.  Hopefully it lets up before dark, so I can get back to my in-laws house,  without getting soaked.   

E0808740-221F-43E6-BC13-71408523EA97.thumb.jpeg.8044e4b6566345dd3edca0374f45f9ac.jpeg

80173C26-6C25-482E-AEE8-1DC3D8311741.thumb.jpeg.fc14182e35ab602fd71c00d7566347b9.jpeg

I chopped a finger off of one of my gutting gloves to help keep my powder dry. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Be careful, bad decisions made in an instant can ruin your life

Yes I hear you there. I've got everything to lose being disabled veteran. My bad I understand where you're coming from but being threatened comes vengeance. Oh I forgot I'm in NY not Georgia or Florida with stand your ground. I appreciate you looking out for me.

so many people i run into these days are just well......Dishonest.  Dont get me wrong there are lots of good salt of the earth people but i am so often thinking to myself these days between all the scams, crime, social media mess, carelessness on the road, and then people who are just so self serving i have def become some disillusioned. So many people just out for themselves and think what they do is so important in the world that they are all that matter.  When really it isnt.  

I miss accountability. If someone makes a mistake, just own it and make it right. Stop passing the blame or trying to explain it away as something else screwed up.i hate that most among my admins at school. Do your job and I'll do mine. When we mess up, let's figure it out instead of looking to say, not me!"

And yet, When I shot that doe back on Friday, I immediately went to ...must have bumped the sight or hit a branch or she jumped the string or....I F'ED UP AND BLEW A CHIP SHOT!!!!

I miss accountability. If someone makes a mistake, just own it and make it right. Stop passing the blame or trying to explain it away as something else screwed up.i hate that most among my admins at school. Do your job and I'll do mine. When we mess up, let's figure it out instead of looking to say, not me!"

And yet, When I shot that doe back on Friday, I immediately went to ...must have bumped the sight or hit a branch or she jumped the string or....I F'ED UP AND BLEW A CHIP SHOT!!!!

I actually laugh sometimes at meetings etc . People being very fake or making plans that really only make themselves feel good that they think they are important when in reality is just usually a waste of everyone's time. Or that this meeting or task is so very important when really in the big picture it isn't at all.

For instance the term "awareness". I am very leary of this as it's used for all these campaigns for very serious things. A drive to raise "awareness" of breast cancer or something of that sort. Cause no one has heard of it? If youre not aware of something like this by now I'm not sure what else there is to say. So where and what is this money actually going to? Now if it's for research or families battling it I'm all for. But how much of this "awareness" money never goes anywhere it should..

I guess as I get older I've become more suspicious. But on the flip side I've also become very much more tolerant to the lives of other people. I really feel to let people live life as they like and most things are not my business or anything I need to worry about. I can sit down with about anyone even if we disagree and share a good story. But if someone lies to me we are probably done. And people that create or cause their own drama I have no time for.

And I've also learned to appreciate the good folks I have in my life and not give a minute of mine to the yahoos out there. And also learned not to sweat the small stuff, which is most stuff.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I believe everyone has memories of tailgaters, being cut off, driving 10 mph under the speed limit and then they drive 20 mph over the speed limit as you try to pass them, drivers signaling a right turn but then turn left and the list goes on with the completely stupid driving behavior that makes you realize to drive defensively!.

Forget about and certainly do not engage with the crazy drivers.  Sooner or later these “rude” drivers meet up with someone who is a lower form of life then they are.  The encounter is usually not a good one.

Driving requires the skill set to always obey the traffic laws, be aware of your surroundings, accept the fact there are many dangerous people operating a motor vehicle that are suffering from mental illness, substance abuse, sheer stupidity or a quest to feed their ego.  In the ole days going from point A to point B were a journey, now its and obstacle course.

Even on this forum there are some who act out in an uncivilized manner.  Look at the inappropriate remarks that include most notably personal attacks.  Some are provoked by these remarks or “opinions”.  This festers into some to engage one another into uncivil behavior.  Sad, but the proof is all over the computer monitor.  The politicians want to decide your fitness to possess firearms by seeing what you’re writing on social media. 

As mentioned before I see so much stupid and poor driving on the road, more this AM too. Most times I just cave in and let them have their way as we don't need or want to be a statistic to prove right from wrong. But last year when 390 north was getting paved, at about 5am i was driving through the construction zone headed  to work, in these construction zones, the on ramp has to yield the right of way, its law, and its on the sign as you enter the highway.. well I saw this guy coming down the on ramp for the highway, we are in single lane here, so I checked to make sure there was a yield sign he had to abide by, and I knew I'd have to speed up or slow down to accommodate his driving that morning. Well I wasn't having it that day, I was sick of it, I stayed my speed, held my lane, he thought id slow down or what have you, I did not.. my little 4dr civic drove his nearly brand new crew cab Silverado through a pile of cones, because I didn't move over or anything as i did not have to, any contact would have been his fault and not mine. I literally had enough of these people at that point. I held my lane as i legally should have, he plowed idk how many road cones down, they went everywhere, he then got back into the lane and literally road my a$$ with his high beams on beeping, swerving and all sorts of stuff.. And we are also in a single lane here for 14 miles(which sucked) but F that.. these people will learn one way or another.. And people like us do have a breaking point.. that right time on the right day it just happens lol.  

I felt very relieved after seeing him wad up them cones like that, hoping he's playing it through his head how stupid he just looked for not following the law, and yes there were cars behind me and behind him entering the highway. It may have been slightly dangerous or maybe even dumb on my part to be too defensive, but i was still the legal one. 

I try to be courteous and non-confrontational, I never know what anyone has going on. However, the one thing I cannot stand are those who ride my tail and flash their lights at me. If I'm passing on the interstate, and have a car behind me that's moving quicker, I'll speed up and get around the other vehicle so the car behind me can continue on. However, every once in a while there's someone who is so important that they want me to know how much I cam inconveniencing them. At that point, I'll cut back to only going a mile or two an hour faster than who I'm passing and take my time, no need to be unsafe. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I try to be courteous and non-confrontational, I never know what anyone has going on. However, the one thing I cannot stand are those who ride my tail and flash their lights at me. If I'm passing on the interstate, and have a car behind me that's moving quicker, I'll speed up and get around the other vehicle so the car behind me can continue on. However, every once in a while there's someone who is so important that they want me to know how much I cam inconveniencing them. At that point, I'll cut back to only going a mile or two an hour faster than who I'm passing and take my time, no need to be unsafe. 

Tailgating is the one thing that really bothers me when driving. That and driving fast on the backroad I live on.

If they draft me for a bit then pass when given the opportunity I give them a pass , otherwise I just start gradually slowing  down until they finally pass . By being on my bumper they are raising  mine and my passengers risks. There is no way they aren't hitting us if I  have to stop quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nomad said:

I’ve been to idk easily 1000 accidents over nearly 30 years working for the FD, surface streets and parts of two expressways in Roch .

What I always told our kids, “ you have no idea, who that other driver is, career criminal , drunk , pissed at the world , angered over a break up , job loss, just an ahole , or for the really high achievers a combo of a few ,  don’t engage them and always motion like you’re sorry, even when you’re in the right .”

Then I go on , half the drivers are one or more of the following , drunk , high, have no insurance, no license, no money  ,driving stolen cars and so on . I’ve been to accidents where drivers were shooting up heroin , drunk , burying vodka bottles in the snow bank , fled on foot , and ones who switched drivers . Not everyone out there is like you fellas . 

Never ever agree to let them pay instead of going through insurance,I’ve seen people burned on each side of that .

One time on my way to FA made wrong turn at night  in NC, road was not well market. almost crashed into this guy in pickup truck turning  back the way i came. Like this tool stops in middle of road just to yell at me i did not take the bait just said sorry your right im wrong and drove off, bet u he was armed . Im not  Arguing with somebody in the middle of the night  on some back  country road  Especially when there  was no crash And even if he was not armed still would not , nothing good would come of it. And I know the guy was speeding but I did not bother bringing it up like was strange place like you could not tell where the parking lot ends and the road  begins in this place nothing was painted no lines no lights or signs and you got watch they have like these  Drainage ditches in that part of the state u can easily get stuck in or mess up your car at night . Especially when you've been driving all day long for hours on end .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Whenever I'm doing the speed limit and some jerk is running up my a$$ I let off the gas ever so slightly , I'm in no hurry and hopefully they are !

But why? All you are doing is upping the chances that you’re pissing off the wrong person. Just drive and don’t worry about people that want to drive faster than you. 

if someone comes running up on my ass, I just keep driving and don’t worry about it. If they pass me, who cares? I’ve never understood the point behind antagonizing other people. People need to stop acting like a bunch of Karens and mind their own business. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

But why? All you are doing is upping the chances that you’re pissing off the wrong person. Just drive and don’t worry about people that want to drive faster than you. 

if someone comes running up on my ass, I just keep driving and don’t worry about it. If they pass me, who cares? I’ve never understood the point behind antagonizing other people. People need to stop acting like a bunch of Karens and mind their own business. 

wait people are passing you?  lol Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody sedan expected for 2021 - Autoblog

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That’s what I usually try to do.  I maybe shouldn’t have pulled up close behind the guy, who had been tailgating me on my drive up here Friday night.  I am just so sick of being tailgated, over that stretch of route 3, that I felt the need to retaliate.  

All I was doing was putting myself at risk.  He was driving a much newer truck, than my old 3/4 ton Chevy.  No doubt, it had a much shorter stopping distance.  Had he slammed on his brakes, and I piled into the back of him, it would have been all my fault.

Then there’s the fact that If we do nothing, these dip shits just keep on being dip shits.  Maybe my front bumper on his ass, for a mile or so, taught him just a little bit of a lesson and he won’t be so quick to do it again.  It did seem like he backed off a little from the next car he was on when I got up close behind him.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t I guess.  Thankfully, we won’t be dealing with any of this bs in the next world.  As long as I can, I’ll just surround myself with plenty of iron and just keep going.  If those tailgaters in the aluminum trucks give me any trouble they’ll  get more than they bargained for. 

C626D196-F0AA-4F05-8E47-07D3766732E3.thumb.jpeg.6a6356fd4dc3879e2909f5d3db15b14b.jpeg

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sorry John , I see the tailgater as the antagonizing Karen . There’s zero reason for it , none , it’s dangerous and their tough guy driving can be upsetting which is their entire goal .

Im largely a number three lane driver, sometimes like on 590 where there’s on/off ramps every half mile I’ll be in the #2 lane to leave the #3 open for merging . I’ll be going whatever the traffic speed is ,there’s one or two lanes to go around ,so do so .

Speaking of 590 , going south it splits , and if you need to go 490 East you need to be in the #1 ( fast ) lane at the split . What happens is if a “ slow “ driver waits to the split , nobody lets them in , so they get over miles back, and drive their slower speed, which then enrages the “ fast “ drivers who tailgate and take risky chances passing . It’s really quite funny , if you “ fast “ drivers had any  courtesy and let them over at the split this would all be avoided .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Sorry John , I see the tailgater as the antagonizing Karen . There’s zero reason for it , none , it’s dangerous and their tough guy driving can be upsetting which is their entire goal .

Im largely a number three lane driver, sometimes like on 590 where there’s on/off ramps every half mile I’ll be in the #2 lane to leave the #3 open for merging . I’ll be going whatever the traffic speed is ,there’s one or two lanes to go around ,so do so .

Speaking of 590 , going south it splits , and if you need to go 490 East you need to be in the #1 ( fast ) lane at the split . What happens is if a “ slow “ driver waits to the split , nobody lets them in , so they get over miles back, and drive their slower speed, which then enrages the “ fast “ drivers who tailgate and take risky chances passing . It’s really quite funny , if you “ fast “ drivers had any  courtesy and let them over at the split this would all be avoided .

I drive about 50k miles a year and much is on the thruway and 81

Ive have tractor trailers 2” off my ass so many times …

and not when I’m in the passing lane either !!

People drive so stupid. I saw a guy playing a guitar once steering with his knees !

A lady with a small kid standing in her seat between her knees steering the car while the lady was applying makeup in the rear view mirror !! At 70 mph !!!