Shot placement on a deer

skeets716

If it's a clear path and nothing in the way, why is a 75 yard bow shot out question, if the hunter is confident in that shot? That's a common bow shot on mule deer and other animals in the west Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz; you have no clue in this at all.  Quit while you can.....................

It is absolutely not a common shot anywhere.

• Like 1

I didn't say average, I said common. If somebody has a clear shot in NY from the ground and they feel confident taking a 75 broadside shot in no wind, it should be taken without hesitation. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say average EITHER.  WTF...............when you're messing with a live animal that can turn around twice before the damned arrow gets there why the **** would you do that?

• Like 1

Deer and elk are taken at 100 yards out west. 75 is 3/4 of 100 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BS statement. Can you be a little more vague?

Who is shooting deer and elk at 100yds? One or two yahoo's that are under pressure from a TV producer?

That is so damned irresponsible to post it isn't even funny.

Maybe I'm naive and everyone who tells me they do is lying. Many outfitters I have talked to over the years say they shoot mule deer and elk in the 60-100+ yard range with compounds. Either they are all serious or they all have the same lies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out bowsite forums. It is filled with compound hunters who hunt around the world. Many 60+ yard shots are used by many members. Just because it's not commonplace in ny doesn't mean it isn't common elsewhere. It's not easy to sneak to the famous 17 yard NY shot on Coues deer

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I think the thread is drifting from original intent of firearm shots....

To each his own but....about the max I am flinging an arrow @ a deer is 40yds....I am confident in hitting the mark and the energy of the arrow. Personally I feel it's unethical to shoot beyond that distance...a deer can drop 16" in the time it takes for an arrow to travel 20 yds...wounding or taking a cowboy shot @ game is not in my bag of tricks... I have seen "tv hunters" taking 60 yd shots and why they show that is beyond me....now ppl want to emulate them and taking risky shots...granted the technology has improved tenfold over the past 25 yrs but it is far from responsible in my book.... On these out west deals I think the avg shot is 40ish yds with 80lb set ups

• Like 1

Check out bowsite forums. It is filled with compound hunters who hunt around the world. Many 60+ yard shots are used by many members. Just because it's not commonplace in ny doesn't mean it isn't common elsewhere. It's not easy to sneak to the famous 17 yard NY shot on Coues deer Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that do irresponsible things with both gun and bow. But promoting a 75 or 100 yard bow-shot at live game, on a hunting forum probably is not the best thing to be doing. One simple un-expected casual step by the animal while the arrow is in flight can turn a perfect shot into a gut shot or worse at those distances. Unless you are able to read animal minds, I would always recommend against taking those kinds of shots. I have personally experienced, and seen countless video documentations that show exactly what the capabilities of deer are when it comes to moving out of the way of even the most perfect shots. Don't be promoting such nonsense on forums where somebody might actually take you seriously.

I'm not going to fight over this. It's just my opinion that limiting yourself to short distances is silly. I have an xbow and I feel confident to 40 yards and wouldn't take a farther shot. However, if I had a farm or food plot to hunt or was going out west, I would definitely try to become confident at distances much farther. Many animals stand still for a full second and that's about all it takes for an arrow to travel to 75 yards. Again, I'm talking broadside, no wind, the deer is not alert, etc.

Very eloquently put doc.

One thing though, you say "gut shot or worse". What could be worse?

Not much worse than that in my book!

Gut shot deer can be recovered. It's no simple task, but can often be done. However, deer that are shot high above the vital organs, or in the rump with the femoral missed can run you on a merry chase for days without ever recovering the deer. Those kinds of hits I would imagine account for a majority of unrecovered deer.

And then the other wounding that involves errant gusts of wind, or deflections of unseen twigs and limbs (not every twig and limb can be seen over a 75 yard distance) can wind up in forward parts of the deer that often miss vitals and can cause unrecovered deer.

And then there is always the just plain old "bad" shot that can happen to anyone. At 20 or 30 yards, that kind of hiccup may still wind up in lethal areas. At 75 - 100 yards, there is absolutely no allowance for anything other than perfection.

What a dummy .... I talked about the thread on deer anatomy and never put the link in my reply. Anyway, if you all want to see how much sense it makes to be aiming at the smallest lethal parts of the deer, check out the diagrams and photos at : http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/6770-deer-anatomy/

When you get done looking at all that take a look at the massive heart/lung area. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which is the more responsible shot selection.

• Like 1

What a dummy .... I talked about the thread on deer anatomy and never put the link in my reply. Anyway, if you all want to see how much sense it makes to be aiming at the smallest lethal parts of the deer, check out the diagrams and photos at : http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/6770-deer-anatomy/

When you get done looking at all that take a look at the massive heart/lung area. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which is the more responsible shot selection.

Thanks for posting this Doc; reminds me whom not to take archery advice from.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Ever watch those Buckmaster archery indoor shoots. Moving deer at what 60 yards. Standing at 60 plus.   It sure can be done,   but in hunting situations?

Oh it can be done in a hunting situation too ........ once in a while.

Ha-ha, I love the realism of those indoor running deer targets. Moving along straight as a string at a constant speed. Just exactly like a real running deer .... eh?

Oh it can be done in a hunting situation too ........ once in a while.

Ha-ha, I love the realism of those indoor running deer targets. Moving along straight as a string at a constant speed. Just exactly like a real running deer .... eh?

Yeah and i like the sounds...You hear..Thwack as he hits the release and then. 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi then thump, the arrow hits the target.  Alot can go wrong in all that air time.

But anyway, it can be fun to watch. I once had a motorized moving deer target on my range behind the house. Only on mine I had a speed control operated by someone other than the shooter. We also found out that you could get the support wire bouncing up and down a bit. It was fun and broke up the boredom of some of our longer shooting sessions. The distance was limited, and the farthest we could get was about 30 yards because I wanted to use the hill as a back-stop. Yeah it was fun, and also did point up just how silly trying to shoot at running deer would actually be.

Yeah and i like the sounds...You hear..Thwack as he hits the release and then. 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi then thump, the arrow hits the target. Alot can go wrong in all that air time.

How long does it take an average arrow to reach 75 yards in today's standards?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems