Shot placement on a deer

skeets716

How long does it take an average arrow to reach 75 yards in today's standards?

An arrow that travels at an average speed of *300 f/sec for 75 yards takes .75 seconds to travel that distance.

A deer walking at an average **3.5 MPH will advance 46.2 inches in that .75 seconds.

An arrow that travels at an average speed of *300 f/sec for 100 yards takes 1.00 seconds to travel that distance.

A deer walking at an average **3.5 MPH will advance 61.6 inches in that 1.00 second.

*Note that the assumed arrow speed is the average over the specified distance and assumes no deceleration due to air drag.

**the 3.5 - 4 MPH average walking speed of a deer is from "The Deer of North America" Leonard Lee Rue III

An arrow that travels at an average speed of *300 f/sec for 75 yards takes .75 seconds to travel that distance.

A deer walking at an average **3.5 MPH will advance 46.2 inches in that .75 seconds.

An arrow that travels at an average speed of *300 f/sec for 100 yards takes 1.00 seconds to travel that distance.

A deer walking at an average **3.5 MPH will advance 61.6 inches in that 1.00 second.

*Note that the assumed arrow speed is the average over the specified distance and assumes no deceleration due to air drag.

**the 3.5 - 4 MPH average walking speed of a deer is from "The Deer of North America" Leonard Lee Rue III

That wasn't quite the question, but thanks for trying to answer for him Doc.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Yea, so probably around 1 second after factoring in the decline in speed of the arrow at 75 yards. 

A proficient shooter at 75 yards, should be able to make a lethal shot on an un-alert deer standing broadside on a windless day. The arrow will hit the deer in approx. 1 second after being released.

I dont know enough about Elk hunting, but do they "jump the string" like deer? I can't imagine they are as agile as a whitetail.  Maybe this is why many people kill elk at 60-100 yards with a bow?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

That wasn't quite the question, but thanks for trying to answer for him Doc.

Yes, I believe I answered the exact question you asked and then some. And I wasn't answering for anybody, but simply responding directly to your question.

Yes, I believe I answered the exact question you asked and then some. And I wasn't answering for anybody, but simply responding directly to your question.

Anyone reading your response directly to MY question can tell that your answer is strictly biased. My question was prompted when a certain individual was implying that it takes 3 full seconds for an arrow to hit its mark, even out to 100 yards is approximately 1 full second. Either that individual is slow and can't count properly, or doesn't know what he's talking about, or both. In the post directly after his, you seemed to agree...

Although I do not agree that a 75 yard shot with a bow in NYS is common or advisable, Biz is entitled to his opinion, and he has also stated the situations where one can make such a shot. You've also made your point that a deer already in motion can have a certain displacement in the time the arrow is released until it hits its mark, or in your case, miss its mark. If you want anyone to respect your point of view, it's probably best to respect others first.

So this has really got me thinking, how slow was this 3 Mississippi bowman?

Anyone reading your response directly to MY question can tell that your answer is strictly biased. My question was prompted when a certain individual was implying that it takes 3 full seconds for an arrow to hit its mark, even out to 100 yards is approximately 1 full second. Either that individual is slow and can't count properly, or doesn't know what he's talking about, or both. In the post directly after his, you seemed to agree...

Although I do not agree that a 75 yard shot with a bow in NYS is common or advisable, Biz is entitled to his opinion, and he has also stated the situations where one can make such a shot. You've also made your point that a deer already in motion can have a certain displacement in the time the arrow is released until it hits its mark, or in your case, miss its mark. If you want anyone to respect your point of view, it's probably best to respect others first.

So this has really got me thinking, how slow was this 3 Mississippi bowman?

You asked the question, I answered it. There is no bias in simple math, so I have no clue where you conjured up such a crazy comment. And of course none of that has anything to do with disrespecting this or disrespecting that. It is all simple math directed specifically at your question. Whatever you are manufacturing in your mind, or trying to start here, I can't begin to guess. All I can tell you is, If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Hmm, but that can't be true. I don't know anyone that can say 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi that fast!

Oh and look who it is.  Just cant get enough can ya?  I would be more than willing to line your ass up at lets say 75 yards with your bow and put a very nice chunk of change on the table that you could not put an arrow in the circle at the range. Then i could also show ya how fast i can talk.  Doc, although did not answer for me, pretty much schooled ya in that facts of arrow speed and deer movement, not that it matters because im sure even at your so called 1 second mark 9 out of 10 would miss a kill shot and truth is known more than half would miss the deer altogether but i bet you would not be one of the 9 huh..You would be that 1 i'm sure.!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

Wow, I really don't know what is going on in this forum these days, but it is getting so that you can't even answer a question without someone turning it into some kind of huge manufactured controversy. What seems to be the problem here? A bit too much cabin fever or what? I would suggest that people stop looking for ulterior motives in every word that is typed here, and try a bit harder at not making more out of things than what's really there. Let's see if we can work our way back to a little bit of cordiality and at least an attempt at civil discussion.

Oh and look who it is. Just cant get enough can ya? I would be more than willing to line your ass up at lets say 75 yards with your bow and put a very nice chunk of change on the table that you could not put an arrow in the circle at the range. Then i could also so ya how fast i can talk. Doc, although did not answer for me pretty much schooled ya in that facts si its back to class with ya!

Pay attention this time.

Schooled, heh. Sure thing asshat. Don't go spending all your lunch money on silly bets now.

There are plenty of topics that get discussed on here where we may disagree with eachother, yet still respect varying opinions. But this aint one them. If someone wants to launch arrows 50 yards at a deer, I won't hunt with them. Not because I disagree with them. But because I don't respect them as hunters.

To the original posters question, heart and lungs, no brainer (pun intended). Enough can and does go wrong in that moment of truth. I wouldn't tempt fate.

• Like 1

Oh and look who it is. Just cant get enough can ya? I would be more than willing to line your ass up at lets say 75 yards with your bow and put a very nice chunk of change on the table that you could not put an arrow in the circle at the range. Then i could also show ya how fast i can talk. Doc, although did not answer for me, pretty much schooled ya in that facts of arrow speed and deer movement, not that it matters because im sure even at your so called 1 second mark 9 out of 10 would miss a kill shot and truth is known more than half would miss the deer altogether but i bet you would not be one of the 9 huh..You would be that 1 i'm sure.!

You edit pretty fast for a slow guy! Coming from a guy that can't seem to tell time, it doesn't mean much, does it?

Schooled, heh. Sure thing asshat. Don't go spending all your lunch money on silly bets now.

Well if you can run your equipment like you run other things you should be able to school me for some cash.  Maybe buy yourself a new Xbow for this archery season.  You can talk it but cant walk it i see!

Well if you can run your equipment like you run other things you should be able to school me for some cash. Maybe buy yourself a new Xbow for this archery season. You can talk it but cant walk it i see!

Listen, I know you bust your hump for what little you have, please don't go throwing it away in a silly bet. I'm not one to take what Obama gave you. Just let it go....

Listen, I know you bust your hump for what little you have, please don't go throwing it away in a silly bet. I'm not one to take what Obama gave you. Just let it go....

Yeah this shows everybody your true colors...Again.   Didn't take ya long to run out of ammo on this one. 

• Like 1

Wow, I really don't know what is going on in this forum these days, but it is getting so that you can't even answer a question without someone turning it into some kind of huge manufactured controversy. What seems to be the problem here? A bit too much cabin fever or what? I would suggest that people stop looking for ulterior motives in every word that is typed here, and try a bit harder at not making more out of things than what's really there. Let's see if we can work our way back to a little bit of cordiality and at least an attempt at civil discussion.

Sorry Doc, could you do me this favor and clean up this mess? I'm trying to be nice, but boy it's hard to resist helping the slowpokes(4 seasons in a year).

He Biz, shawn or anyone else giving these 75-100 yard shots the green light:

How many years have you guys been bow hunting?

How many kills do you have under your belt?

I don't know about Doc but I haven't missed a season since 1976.  37 seasons........only about 35 killed deer here in NYS.  A couple in PA but who's counting?

How about you Doc, how many years??  I'm guessing 45 years or so..................................

Just curious on the young guys experience with this.