Shot placement on a deer

skeets716

Biz said 75-100 yard shots were fine.  Do you agree?

That is what the lit my fire on this.  Do you think a guy who has NEVER shot a deer in his life with archery equipment should be making statements like that and not be called out?

So, do you condone 75-100 yard shot on game?  I don't and I have enough years experience to say it, confidently too.

I wasn't agreeing with anyone on lengthy bowshots for deer. My statement was directed at the many threads on here that spiral downhill and I should have started another topic to discuss it.

On the topic of limits on archery distance in the field: Unless I quit my job and shoot my bow all day I won't be taking a 75 yard shot anytime soon. I know it takes a great deal of practice and a perfect bow set up to be able to hit a paper plate every time at 50 yards with broadhead tipped arrow.  I've had seasons where I was able to put the time in to do that. It's fun shooting at longer distances and I practice out to 60 every year. I enjoy archery and shoot deer targets in my yard daily 4 mos out of the year. I practice at those longer distances to be more accurate at shorter distances. My pins are 20,30,40 and I arm myself with a laser range finder at all times while hunting. With all that said, I know my limits while out in the deer woods. Each situation is uniqe and the game animal needs to be respected with a quick clean kill. I prefer to set up for close shots and my set ups usually have lanes trimmed out to 30 yards with the main trail at 15 -25 yards.

GM

>>>------------>

• Like 1

Long shots do have a place on the archery range. They are just plain fun, and as mentioned, long shots can build confidence and actually improve shorter more realistic hunting shots because of that confidence. I love to take 80 yard shots on a range, and as a matter of fact 80 yards is one of the distances required on an NFAA Field Round. That's not a real easy shot, but it is fun to just sit back and watch the arrow arc up and eventually get to the target. Most archers are doing well to simply hit the butt, and these would be archers who do shoot on a regular basis. Actually that shot can be pretty humbling even for the better archers, but it is still always fun.

I wasn't agreeing with anyone on lengthy bowshots for deer. My statement was directed at the many threads on here that spiral downhill and I should have started another topic to discuss it.

On the topic of limits on archery distance in the field: Unless I quit my job and shoot my bow all day I won't be taking a 75 yard shot anytime soon. I know it takes a great deal of practice and a perfect bow set up to be able to hit a paper plate every time at 50 yards with broadhead tipped arrow. I've had seasons where I was able to put the time in to do that. It's fun shooting at longer distances and I practice out to 60 every year. I enjoy archery and shoot deer targets in my yard daily 4 mos out of the year. I practice at those longer distances to be more accurate at shorter distances. My pins are 20,30,40 and I arm myself with a laser range finder at all times while hunting. With all that said, I know my limits while out in the deer woods. Each situation is uniqe and the game animal needs to be respected with a quick clean kill. I prefer to set up for close shots and my set ups usually have lanes trimmed out to 30 yards with the main trail at 15 -25 yards.

GM

>>>------------>

But there do exist those that are gifted, or has the time to practice shots at these distances. Grouping all hunters in the same category as as some has clearly done is what I don't agree with.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Very few deer are perfectly broadside. However, no matter their angle, if you aim for a double lung shot, your chances of putting meat in the freezer are much greater than if you aimed anywhere else. This fact cannot be disputed, which is why I cannot believe that this thread has gone as long as it has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The trick is aiming with a 3 dimensional mindset. If the animal is quartering, you still know where those two lungs are (or you should). Use that knowledge to make sure your aiming spot will catch both lungs. If the deer is quartering so severely that you cannot guarantee both lungs, wait for a better position. That has always been my rule of thumb and it has never let me down.