2022 - 2023 HuntingNY Predator kills thread

Post up pics of your 2022 - 2023 Predator kills here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

Dropped this one at a fellows property that is said to be overrun with coyote.

Didn't hear any and only saw one, but one is better than none.

The property is very overgrown and this trail is the clearest lane I could find to hunt.

Going to wait till the leaves drop to hunt there again.

10/20 Pm hunt

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 7

10/22 Pm hunt

5 came in, One dropped and three left with blood trails heading into the swamp.

One left unscathed.

Usually when a landowner says they have an issue with coyote, we take it with a grain of salt.

I had an issue with my primary rig, so it was a good time to get some field time and familiarize myself with the backup rig.

146743852_1022Dog.thumb.jpg.3bfa24008a979e23a49d4f9d36168de4.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Shot this “leader of the pack” at 8:30 or so this morning.  Looks to be maybe 62 pounds. Dropped on the spot at 40 yards from the shoulder hit, but took at least 10 minutes to die, after I stood on its lungs while holding its head down.

243C91EC-5E4B-486C-A854-B252C1D57520.thumb.jpeg.961ab237ca918cb67356a38ea2cb5841.jpeg

dropped easy but died hard. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Shot this “leader of the pack” at 8:30 or so this morning.  Looks to be maybe 62 pounds. Dropped on the spot at 40 yards from the shoulder hit, but took at least 10 minutes to die, after I stood on its lungs while holding its head down.
243C91EC-5E4B-486C-A854-B252C1D57520.thumb.jpeg.961ab237ca918cb67356a38ea2cb5841.jpeg
dropped easy but died hard. 
Weigh it, a 62 lb coyote is huge, that one looks 30's from that pic.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Definitely more than that.  He was too heavy to carry up, so I tied a rope around his back leg to drag.  The other 5 or 6 behind him looked significantly smaller.  The females around here might go in the thirties, but most of the adult males break 50.  Maybe you have more of the smaller western genes in the ones in your area.  

I asked my neighbor if he wanted it and he didn’t (said the hides aren’t worth anything and the nap spitfire messed it up pretty good at the shoulder).

They are definitely eating well, thanks to all the antlerless deer that the neighbors have been nocking  off on their nuisance tags.  This one sounded exactly like a dog, as he laid there barking for about 5 minutes,  after taking that bolt.  It paralyzed his front legs, but he was still able to move his back legs and lift his head. 

There was none of that characteristic “yip” tone in his bark at all.  He must have some German Sheppard in his genes, which might also explain his heft.  I’ve killed a few button bucks that dragged easier than he did.    

41 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Weigh it, a 62 lb coyote is huge, that one looks 30's from that pic.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

I just pulled my broken shaft out of it and cut the tail off, skinned and salted it.  Maybe I’ll try some coyote tail jigs for bass.  
D42CF2E7-C062-4B38-84A3-2E7DED19FF11.thumb.jpeg.7d8ad4fdf03cb5e25074ce04e820b7f9.jpeg

The camera angle makes him look smaller.  I didn’t use you fish trick, of holding him way out in front.  If you want to believe he weighs 25 pounds, that’s fine by me. At least he won’t be eating any more deer or turkeys around here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Can we see that on a scale? I've never seen one that weighs over 45lbs?

Help yourself if you’d like, although it’s missing the tail now, so you’d need to add a few ounces.  It’s laying right by the creek bank.  I imagine it will lay there dehydrating till spring, when I’ll plow it under.  It seems that crows don’t even eat coyotes. It did pull a little harder, with the drag rope, than the button buck that I shot during last years early antlerless season. 

Edited by wolc123

All else aside I think that was a pretty fair shot you made on that guy with a crossbow Wolc.

Hard to judge size by just looking at them, this Coyote is beside an 80lb Airedale for scale, I would guess it is more than half the dog's weight. I have never weighed any I shot but I would guess most to be in the mid 40s to 50 lbs.

Al

2022-06-25_203533.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, airedale said:

All else aside I think that was a pretty fair shot you made on that guy with a crossbow Wolc.

Hard to judge size by just looking at them, this Coyote is beside an 80lb Airedale for scale, I would guess it is more than half the dog's weight. I have never weighed any I shot but I would guess most to be in the mid 40s to 50 lbs.

Al

2022-06-25_203533.png

He wasn’t as heavy as he felt dragging.  I found a 50 lb fish scale in my boat and he was 40 pounds even, minus the tail after dehydrating for a day.  Might have been 44 on the paw. 
F50E1BCD-5AFC-4B5B-A42F-FAB98AB75F3C.thumb.jpeg.ac17129e94b5ce69de9c5bbd2b3e0d86.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...