Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Anyhow, been spending 1 or 2 days a week at the farm since probably January. All the trails are utv/quad ready. Lately I've been mowing with the kunz I bought and this last weekend I sprayed the orchard for the 3rd time. I think I'm going to give up on the peaches. Many of them are just really old and regardless of the TLC probably needed to be cut down and replanted years ago, so wasting time and money on half dead tress with some bad curl going just doesn't make sense. The apples on the other hand are banging this year. No early frost and some good mowing and spraying and while they wont be sold to wegmans, I know the deer will be there good this fall.

Clover plot is starting to really take off in some areas and there are patches where weeds and grass are coming in thicker than the clover. Eventually I'll need to spray and mow, but I was telling the wife the other night that success or fail, my foray into larger food plotting has been a success as I've learned a bunch and outside of a couple hundred bucks in seed, spray and fert, everything else will be used for the fall plot and any future plots.

What i'm really toying with now is the idea of planting some mast trees where I plan to thin the peaches and the plums that are dying/dead. Otherwise it's just going to be open green space or a jungle. I may never reap the benefits of those mast trees, but my kids sure will. 

I'm thinking 1 or 2 more stands go in late summer too.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

3 months away from the southern bow opener!  Which is on a Sat this year.  I am sure i will be out at least 1/2 a day.  Im not big on the early season but i do like to be out opening day.  Although two years ago a Doe on 10/2 was a nice way to start and bank the freezer early..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

3 months away from the southern bow opener!  Which is on a Sat this year.  I am sure i will be out at least 1/2 a day.  Im not big on the early season but i do like to be out opening day.  Although two years ago a Doe on 10/2 was a nice way to start and bank the freezer early..   

I scored a 10/1 doe last year, what a feeling! Big ole gal too

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I took vacation day for 9/15 CT opener!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I took vacation day for 9/15 CT opener!

that would seem weird like hunting on 1/1 was this year.  I am not a big fan of the early season but i like to go some. I hate hunting in 80 degrees, just doesnt feel right.  Early season i will go after work or weekends that are cool.  Im glad ours doesnt open that early. 

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

that would seem weird like hunting on 1/1 was this year.  I am not a big fan of the early season but i like to go some. I hate hunting in 80 degrees, just doesnt feel right.  Early season i will go after work or weekends that are cool.  Im glad ours doesnt open that early. 

in 2013 I hunted the CT 9/15 opener. I passed up a 3pt in velvet. It was cool to see one in velvet when hunting. I'd be really tempted to break my 2.5+ buck rule to shoot one in velvet this year. 

• Like 1

I know a velvet buck is high on your bucket list [mention=871]BizCT[/mention], so I hope you get to drop one this year.

We’ll see. I got a few months to think about whether or not to shoot a 1.5 in velvet if I even see one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Every year this object appears , the local deer know , a Godlike , Hunter , Warrior will soon follow  as soon as the Fall moon raises , and smell of Irish Spring permeates the woods .

To appease this Great Hunter , they’ll  leave bits of bones , feathers and other sacred objects of the woods, at its base , in hopes that they’ll not be this year’s sacrifice .

D8CCD341-9FFC-4C35-A93F-53E262E077E6.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also came across these. Thought wild raspberry but [mention=762]Chef[/mention] said Wineberries.

Does everyone agree these are edible before I go back tomorrow and pick them to eat?

@G-Man thoughts?

@G-Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i read that Wine berries have no lookalike poisonous berry in North America.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_phoenicolasius

youll be fine.  

1 hour ago, SportsmanNH said:

Munch away Biz !  Wineberry , Raspberry , Blackberry .  I've had them all when out hiking and hunting . Its like a treat !

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/picking-and-preserving-the-wineberry-zmaz82jazgoe/

They taste great. A little more tart than raspberry. But not all of them

• Like 3