Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

I am sure it has, since it was new back in the 1950’s .  I like the old non frost free ones like that because the meat don’t dry out too much in them.  
Back strap momma is a deer fridge filler for sure.  

A little pressed for time tonight so I didn’t get a chest girth measurement.  She was very fat and didn’t have any milk in her.  Coyotes must have got this year’s fawn.  

I trimmed all the external fat that I could and she’s in the fridge till Saturday late morning.  ML is cleaned, and all gear is washed.   

Only glitch was I forgot my Gerber saw so I brought grandpas old meat saw back with the tractor when I fetched her to cut thru the pelvis.  I always do that to make sure everything near the tenderloins is rinsed clean (with fresh blood from forward of the diaphragm) of any piss or poop.  I’d rather my tenderloins taste like blood than that stuff.
788D92BC-C47A-4D4A-BF49-383F5EC832D4.thumb.jpeg.b5a1ba8be81d018c97d767a087a1d889.jpeg
98FE2127-9D49-456C-8C79-EC9AD2481317.thumb.jpeg.d48e838f3c9686de5682752625a4ae6d.jpeg
535E5637-37FF-4BCE-9AA5-BF6E496DAA44.thumb.jpeg.afe7d21d81947f593c2b47da4c0a171d.jpeg

Empty that fridge in case I need a spot for a deer saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

It’s getting closer this weather isn’t helping with my patience for the season.  We are looking at high 30s low 40s Thursday night into Friday morning 

The last couple of weeks are the hardest anyway,and the cold yemps only make it worse...but we are almost there!!!

CT opening day. 6:33am sunrise, so 6:03am legal shooting. Currently 60°. Heading in now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought you were only going to post in the live thread from NY due to TV blackout laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

First Doe of the year down!

Savage 220

I was on the ground brushed in with some trees for about 3 hours. At around 7:15pm I gave up and started to walk back to my Jeep. On the way back I spotted what I thought was a deer, sure enough it was, she was about 80 yards below me as I was on a hill. It was very hard for me to get a good sight picture on her, not sure what was going on, maybe it was the lack of light. I took a shot, missed ..... that was a first. Took a second shot and hit her right in the neck, she collapsed where she stood. To be honest I wasn't exactly aiming for her neck, I was aiming for her front half and got lucky with my shot. 

I think I missed my first shot as I did not account for the fact I was so high above her aiming down.

Either way, she's in a cooler packed with ice till I can get her butchered!

20220915_191908.jpg

Edited by heavuser
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, heavuser said:

First Doe of the year down!

Savage 220

I was on the ground brushed in with some trees for about 3 hours. At around 7:15pm I gave up and started to walk back to my Jeep. On the way back I spotted what I thought was a deer, sure enough it was, she was about 80 yards below me as I was on a hill. It was very hard for me to get a good sight picture on her, not sure what was going on, maybe it was the lack of light. I took a shot, missed ..... that was a first. Took a second shot and hit her right in the neck, she collapsed where she stood. To be honest I wasn't exactly aiming for her neck, I was aiming for her front half and got lucky with my shot. 

I think I missed my first shot as I did not account for the fact I was so high above her aiming down.

Either way, she's in a cooler packed with ice till I can get her butchered!

20220915_191908.jpg

Congrats.

I would recheck the zero..jic the scopes get bumped easily

• Like 2

First time out this season was last night... less that 60 minutes of legal left and a big doe steps out in the field in front of me at 200 yds.  Watched her for quite a while and the closest she would come in was 170 YDS.. took a shot with the muzzy free hand... a clean miss.  Ill be getting shooting sticks soon.  I generly am not in a long shot position like that where I hunt but I had to try.  It was great to get out

14 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Congrats @heavuser,sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

@Arcade Hunter,170 is a poke with the muzzleloader free hand at that. I don't think I have shot much past 100 with mine...

I never thought I would either but the opertunity presented itself.  It was great to be out there for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I never thought I would either but the opertunity presented itself.  It was great to be out there for sure!

The biggest buck I ever saw while holding a gun was about 160 yds from me a few years ago. But there were twigs on my side of the swamp and brush on his side,so I didn't even try to shoot. I gave it a 15% chance of hitting the mark,not good enough with one shot...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

First time out this season was last night... less that 60 minutes of legal left and a big doe steps out in the field in front of me at 200 yds.  Watched her for quite a while and the closest she would come in was 170 YDS.. took a shot with the muzzy free hand... a clean miss.  Ill be getting shooting sticks soon.  I generly am not in a long shot position like that where I hunt but I had to try.  It was great to get out

yikes. 170 even on a rest is quiet the poke with a smoke pole. 

• Like 1