Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

13 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Back in again. Feels like one of those pointless mornings for some reason. I’ll stick it out just in case it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty windy in 8G??Sat out this morning as told the neighbor I'd give em a hand with putting up fence.good luck!

45 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Back in again. Feels like one of those pointless mornings for some reason. I’ll stick it out just in case it’s not.

I had that same feeling last season, late start getting out, jumped two deer on the way in, bad wind and had to move to a different stand.

20 minutes later killed my best buck ever. Stick it out, you never know how quickly things can change.

• Like 2

Nice doe!

Has a doe and two fawns pass by well outa range. Shortly after caught a glimpse of one off to my left. Never got a good look at it as it's so thick still. Sticking it out another hour anyway.

Pretty windy in 8G??Sat out this morning as told the neighbor I'd give em a hand with putting up fence.good luck!

Windy but not that bad inside the woods. Only a little tree surfing every once and a while. No deer seen yet.

4 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

I had that same feeling last season, late start getting out, jumped two deer on the way in, bad wind and had to move to a different stand.

20 minutes later killed my best buck ever. Stick it out, you never know how quickly things can change.

Last year seemed to be the year for wind on the forum.Remember alot of people saying it and I recall seeing good deer movement during the wind too.a first for me as I usually don't bother hunting windy days

5 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

House chores for me this morning. Headed in around 2 for an afternoon sit. Calling for 35mph wind gusts. I don't love that but it won't keep me out of the woods.

Wow, only 10-15mph here, JK i was wrong, says up to 30 lol

Edited by Hock3y24

My opening day: 

Gman graciously invited me down to hunt his property. Drove down Friday night after working all day. That drive gives me anxiety. He’s racked up 27 deer and a bear driving up to WNY for work and back over the years. I’ve had some close calls going to and from. Ordered my Subaru Outback xt onyx and waited 13 months for it , 2 weeks after getting it I smoked a deer doing 55 last spring so I’m gun shy now. $5k damage. Bunked out on the couch and 3 other guys spent the night too. He generously put me in the best spot cams proving it. Active scrapes 5-6 bucks working daily. 1 of which a dandy. He’d rather see others kill a good one than him. I have to cross a small creek on a wobbly suspension bridge with cables to hold onto. Upon hitting beginning of bridge my red lens on headlamp picks up to sets of eyes . Thinking sob 2 deer bedded there but I have to cross. Get half away across and one stands up , coyotes and one at now 18/19 yards is a big one. Nock an arrow. Full draw , can’t see pins , heck it’s been 80-90 seconds and both still staring at me. They finally scoot. Decide to put arrow into quiver and finish across. Upon hitting the end I step down and slip crashing hard into rocks and rebar supporting bridge. Took rebar right to the kneecap. Thought 911 was gonna be needed. Sucked it up and continued short journey to shooting shack where the scrapes. Thank goodness as climbing a ladder no bueno with knee on fire. Plunked my ass on a bar stool in there. Standing up not easy. Passed a spiker who might not even measure 3” and stubby tail to boot. Pain and swelling was nagging. Pulled the plug at 10:15. Drove the 90 minutes home thinking if I had a stick shift I couldn’t drive. Iced the heck out of it. My dads brothers son who’s a spitting image of my dad has been glassing a field for weeks and nice bucks hitting red clover at dusk each night. I’ve  sat this place before and never see squat. Was corn prior years and this year it just was clover that popped. Helped other day get his climber set up with trimming and such. Yesterday wind was perfect blowing our scent into creek. I opted a stand a little farther away than we knew they’d enter. There’s a stand right where they should cross the creek , hit wood line then clover. I didn’t want to have my scent blow at cousin so I opted at one 60 yards away from the perfect stand. Well guess what , watched nice buck walk right under open stand . Watched 4 coon climb down from den tree and lone black squirrel. Then I get text at 5:30. I stuck him. Now Tony has baddd hearing and eyesight. The worst turkey hunter I’ve known and been trying for years to get a bird under his gun. He’s loud , noisy and always in a hurry. I climb down ladder stand with knee on fire. He can’t find blood and I immediately pick it up. Bright red and no bubbles. I mark it for 50 yards or so until losing it in swamp. I grid search lightly and knee goes out tumbling into a rose of Sharon face first. This is fun. After losing blood I tell him we should back out. He shot at 30 yards slight quartering towards. Upon him calling deer search I look 175 yards away and the other nice buck that was with shooter is walking down logging trail . I had just placed a cam on a stake over 3 big scrapes. Watching him hit licking branch and scrape. Tony’s like where lol.  I went home and iced my knee some more. Supposed to bowl 6 games pre bowling for 3rd saturday of October and November. October is dads day at Samantha’s college and November is opening day of gun. Not sure bowling is gonna happen tonight lol. Well low and behold pic just got text. Tony is the first to wrap his hands around said bucks horns. He kills a lot of nice deer each year. Happy for him. I’m gonna try for shooters buddy when hunting local next. 

16CA069F-9366-40AD-ADAB-4BDC61B60578.jpeg

103BD6AA-7FCA-4875-B619-39A976C42C60.jpeg

66A07FBA-BAC6-423A-AA6F-07489797E831.jpeg

AD9ED1CB-176C-4D2F-95C4-73BD3FC654E3.jpeg

A8A4DFDD-3F59-4E36-A06A-91CC0A500F71.jpeg

• Like 39

Went looking for clues about the doe I shot yesterday and found absolutely nothing. I scoured the field edges and did ever bigger circles in the woods. After a couple of hours with not a sign I gave up. I think I hit her forward,but I am still baffled why there was no blood. 

I figured I would take the long way home and as I was sneaking through the woods I spotted a lone doe. 

I figured I might as well get back on that horse when she came within 20 yds. Shot was higher than I liked but she was way below me on a bank,so it was almost like shooting from a tree. She ran off and I lost sight of her and again I heard no crash. I waited and finally went to check the arrow,yay to lighted nocks or I would not have found it under the ferns. Arrow looked real good so I decided to take up the trail. She really kicked up leaves on her way down the hill but I was not getting blood for the first 25 yds.  Then I got some. Then she was right in front of me she died within 45 yds from the shot site. She must have been dead in seconds and she crashed on a fallen log. I couldn't believe it,no wonder I lost track of her as she never made it down the slope. 

I am so excited,what a change after a crappy night.

20221002_090952.jpg

• Like 31

1 minute ago, BowmanMike said:

Went looking for clues about the doe I shot yesterday and found absolutely nothing. I scoured the field edges and did ever bigger circles in the woods. After a couple of hours with not a sign I gave up. I think I hit her forward,but I am still baffled why there was no blood. 

I figured I would take the long way home and as I was sneaking through the woods I spotted a lone doe. 

I figured I might as well get back on that horse when she came within 20 yds. Shot was higher than I liked but she was way below me on a bank,so it was almost like shooting from a tree. She ran off and I lost sight of her and again I heard no crash. I waited and finally went to check the arrow,yay to lighted nocks or I would not have found it under the ferns. Arrow looked real good so I decided to take up the trail. She really kicked up leaves on her way down the hill but I was not getting blood for the first 25 yds.  Then I got some. Then she was right in front of me she died within 45 yds from the shot site. She must have been dead in seconds and she crashed on a fallen log. I couldn't believe it,no wonder I lost track of her as she never made it down the slope. 

20221002_090952.jpg

Congrats!

• Like 1

20221002_090952.thumb.jpg.a234436ed17a8807a8ba0a6aa14d04ce.jpg

That shot looks like money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My opening day: 
Gman graciously invited me down to hunt his property. Drove down Friday night after working all day. That drive gives me anxiety. He’s racked up 27 deer and a bear driving up to WNY for work and back over the years. I’ve had some close calls going to and from. Ordered my Subaru Outback xt onyx and waited 13 months for it , 2 weeks after getting it I smoked a deer doing 55 last spring so I’m gun shy now. $5k damage. Bunked out on the couch and 3 other guys spent the night too. He generously put me in the best spot cams proving it. Active scrapes 5-6 bucks working daily. 1 of which a dandy. He’d rather see others kill a good one than him. I have to cross a small creek on a wobbly suspension bridge with cables to hold onto. Upon hitting beginning of bridge my red lens on headlamp picks up to sets of eyes . Thinking sob 2 deer bedded there but I have to cross. Get half away across and one stands up , coyotes and one at now 18/19 yards is a big one. Nock an arrow. Full draw , can’t see pins , heck it’s been 80-90 seconds and both still staring at me. They finally scoot. Decide to put arrow into quiver and finish across. Upon hitting the end I step down and slip crashing hard into rocks and rebar supporting bridge. Took rebar right to the kneecap. Thought 911 was gonna be needed. Sucked it up and continued short journey to shooting shack where the scrapes. Thank goodness as climbing a ladder no bueno with knee on fire. Plunked my ass on a bar stool in there. Standing up not easy. Passed a spiker who might not even measure 3” and stubby tail to boot. Pain and swelling was nagging. Pulled the plug at 10:15. Drove the 90 minutes home thinking if I had a stick shift I couldn’t drive. Iced the heck out of it. My dads brothers son who’s a spitting image of my dad has been glassing a field for weeks and nice bucks hitting red clover at dusk each night. I’ve  sat this place before and never see squat. Was corn prior years and this year it just was clover that popped. Helped other day get his climber set up with trimming and such. Yesterday wind was perfect blowing our scent into creek. I opted a stand a little farther away than we knew they’d enter. There’s a stand right where they should cross the creek , hit wood line then clover. I didn’t want to have my scent blow at cousin so I opted at one 60 yards away from the perfect stand. Well guess what , watched nice buck walk right under open stand . Watched 4 coon climb down from den tree and lone black squirrel. Then I get text at 5:30. I stuck him. Now Tony has baddd hearing and eyesight. The worst turkey hunter I’ve known and been trying for years to get a bird under his gun. He’s loud , noisy and always in a hurry. I climb down ladder stand with knee on fire. He can’t find blood and I immediately pick it up. Bright red and no bubbles. I mark it for 50 yards or so until losing it in swamp. I grid search lightly and knee goes out tumbling into a rose of Sharon face first. This is fun. After losing blood I tell him we should back out. He shot at 30 yards slight quartering towards. Upon him calling deer search I look 175 yards away and the other nice buck that was with shooter is walking down logging trail . I had just placed a cam on a stake over 3 big scrapes. Watching him hit licking branch and scrape. Tony’s like where lol.  I went home and iced my knee some more. Supposed to bowl 6 games pre bowling for 3rd saturday of October and November. October is dads day at Samantha’s college and November is opening day of gun. Not sure bowling is gonna happen tonight lol. Well low and behold pic just got text. Tony is the first to wrap his hands around said bucks horns. He kills a lot of nice deer each year. Happy for him. I’m gonna try for shooters buddy when hunting local next. 
16CA069F-9366-40AD-ADAB-4BDC61B60578.thumb.jpeg.8b37141fc009a9d341386087c62dd51d.jpeg
103BD6AA-7FCA-4875-B619-39A976C42C60.thumb.jpeg.d98f292075b866f4af8a49b824d99558.jpeg
66A07FBA-BAC6-423A-AA6F-07489797E831.thumb.jpeg.dfeb94c17b353a56ef81d9cdebada50d.jpeg
AD9ED1CB-176C-4D2F-95C4-73BD3FC654E3.thumb.jpeg.a61566f515422acc77e9b32337f1d9e1.jpeg
A8A4DFDD-3F59-4E36-A06A-91CC0A500F71.thumb.jpeg.616b21dfc25bfcc07e0aaaf9671c826e.jpeg

Sweet 7pt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro