Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

10 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well I may have to retire, little Zeek is fillin our freezer all on his own. We went out after half time of the Bills game, got settled in he was in a hang on and i was in a tree next to him in my climber. Nothing was stirring not even a mouse or squirrel. Eventually a fox moved thru and then a single grey squirel. Maybe 45mins later a doe comes strolling down a path that will take her within 15 yards of his stand. He came to full draw and waited for a clear shot. Honestly one of the coolest moments ive ever experienced in the woods. To see the emotion in him...im one proud dad. 

Doe went maybe 75 yards, shot was high but got both lungs, easy trailto follow.

20221002_182735.jpg

20221002_182953.jpg

Congrats.

That's a pretty big looking doe!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well I may have to retire, little Zeek is fillin our freezer all on his own. We went out after half time of the Bills game, got settled in he was in a hang on and i was in a tree next to him in my climber. Nothing was stirring not even a mouse or squirrel. Eventually a fox moved thru and then a single grey squirel. Maybe 45mins later a doe comes strolling down a path that will take her within 15 yards of his stand. He came to full draw and waited for a clear shot. Honestly one of the coolest moments ive ever experienced in the woods. To see the emotion in him...im one proud dad. 

20221002_182735.jpg

20221002_180625.jpg

20221002_182953.jpg

20221002_183534.jpg

This kid is my idol,what a  season so far.should be very proud,congrats to you both!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well everything worked out minus the big boy closing the last 50yrds. Had to coyote howl to get them off the field so I could sneak out.  Have to go back in the morning after kids get on the bus to pull my setup since it’s on stateland.  

they came out at 515 and fed from 125-83 and would make that final commitment.  

A56AB5EC-C1AB-4436-A693-D5BF8FC6B9FD.jpeg

5A5F9667-3419-4B8A-AFB3-07FF3D66C639.jpeg

17484F24-1FCC-459E-B911-4787F871C332.jpeg

94F1401E-3B27-4D61-8EB9-A36B8C42ED37.jpeg

EAA668EA-FAEB-4B6F-AB02-1203161BAC3D.jpeg

1C671C92-E349-4AAE-ABB0-3B5F7C8D75F8.jpeg

That sure is a big boy...

• Like 1

20221002_182735.thumb.jpg.582e3a1a8c3fb1c3efaabf44b63287af.jpg
20221002_180625.thumb.jpg.49e5eebac025c0b278fc89e061c908b9.jpg
20221002_182953.thumb.jpg.feebe913763e627bda4a66e4a7aa0846.jpg
20221002_183534.thumb.jpg.86b8509e628e24d0c7f2b17e360024b7.jpg

Gonna be tough to top that in the forum this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

Evening!  I was able to get a clear shot on a doe this evening.  She stopped in front of my stand about 6:45, and was essentially broadside at 15 yards.  She only went about 40 yards.  The arrow got pass through, it was on the ground after the shot.  Initially there was no blood and the arrow smelled like bile.  No way I could have gut shot her at that range….anyways I find some blood and then some more, and more, now she’s pumping.  I found her just inside some small Christmas tree pines.  She must have been slightly quartered directly in front of me, the arrow entered her right side, and exited low behind the ribs.  I had to drag her about 50 yards to the path, then I hauled my gear back to the truck and grabbed the cart I made up.  Hauled her back to the truck with the Ebike.  She’s off to the butchers in the morning!

3FAB4BB7-6E3B-4F60-BB1C-7AEB3658361C.jpeg

FF0F5ED7-01FD-479A-AC30-93107BE9EBF5.jpeg

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 23

I'm realizing that the far side of the property I hunt is not ideal for pm hunts. Lots of deer, but mostly at last light. If I were to shoot, recover, clean and drag, it would be near midnight by the time I get home. And that's assuming the deer falls in sight. Not something I really want to mess around with on a work night. At least, not this early in the season.  I'll have to rethink my strategy. 

With that said, I saw 8 doe, 2 fawns, and 4 bucks. I drew back on a doe. I was on the ground and stalked to 15yds, but she spooked when I drew back.

• Like 5

Not a good night…. The short story is I had two shots at my target buck.. Wiffed once and I think I one lunged him the second time

Ok so he cam in the first time I didn’t see him because of how thick till he was 10 yards away walking away from me. I tried to draw and the arrow came off the d loop. I fixed it and drew I thought he had only walked to 20 but it was 30 clean miss straight under his heart soft quartering away

About 20 min later a small fawn came in and ate around the base of my tree I could see him looking back but couldn’t see at what. Then I saw the deers head poke out at like 7 yards. He could tell something was up and looped around the big oak to my right so backside shot, I used his time behind the tree to turn and draw. He stepped into a lane a 17 yards and I let it fly. Arrow hit high and just behind the shoulder blade from what I can tell. It hit the deer and nosedived into the ground. He jumped a few steps and then trotted off obviously hurt on his right side

b0f913fdfd8e935c382b9b055f22ab85.jpg
cb49dbff6e552bdc53473d74d626b9db.jpg
61daba17dab7e8b06a11529c64651441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Chef said:

Not a good night…. The short story is I had two shots at my target buck.. Wiffed once and I think I one lunged him the second time

Ok so he cam in the first time I didn’t see him because of how thick till he was 10 yards away walking away from me. I tried to draw and the arrow came off the d loop. I fixed it and drew I thought he had only walked to 20 but it was 30 clean miss straight under his heart soft quartering away

About 20 min later a small fawn came in and ate around the base of my tree I could see him looking back but couldn’t see at what. Then I saw the deers head poke out at like 7 yards. He could tell something was up and looped around the big oak to my right so backside shot, I used his time behind the tree to turn and draw. He stepped into a lane a 17 yards and I let it fly. Arrow hit high and just behind the shoulder blade from what I can tell. It hit the deer and nosedived into the ground. He jumped a few steps and then trotted off obviously hurt on his right side

Good luck with recovery @Chef!

43 minutes ago, Chef said:

Looking at those pools of blood , I think he is dead Chef . Any sign of bleeding from both sides ? Hoping you get a quick recovery and your update will have a target buck pic on the ground . Best of luck to you ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I'm realizing that the far side of the property I hunt is not ideal for pm hunts. Lots of deer, but mostly at last light. If I were to shoot, recover, clean and drag, it would be near midnight by the time I get home. And that's assuming the deer falls in sight. Not something I really want to mess around with on a work night. At least, not this early in the season.  I'll have to rethink my strategy. 

With that said, I saw 8 doe, 2 fawns, and 4 bucks. I drew back on a doe. I was on the ground and stalked to 15yds, but she spooked when I drew back.

It’s rare for me to bow hunt afternoons outside of the rut , when most bucks I’ve killed have been with a good hour or two of light left . Little to no interest in tracking , dressing , dragging in the dark on “ last light sits .” 

• Like 1

Looks like I'm not the only one who didn't get a wink of sleep last night. Looks like you got better blood than me. Good luck in the recovery my friend. I feel your pain

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Good luck to both the trackers this morning. I got most of my doe in the freezer. I did hit the scapula on the hear side and blew right through and still got a nice pass through with hitting rins on the offside.  I got lucky though, missed the ridge of the scapula by less than an inch,I am not sure I would have gotten through that. Maybe,I am not eager to find out. The single bevel did a good job though.

• Like 1

You need Luna and Kunox (and @outdoorstom can come too I guess). Good luck

• Like 1

Well I'm back in the same stand... upon further review with an actual rangefinder, the doe I missed was at 34 yards and I thought it was right at 40. I'm guessing it was a combination of misjudged distance and her jumping the string. This is the first summer I've been able to even practice beyond 20 yards so until now I've never shot at a deer past 20 yards so I never even thought about them ducking an arrow. Moral of the story is I F'd up and should've aimed lower. Gonna let the sun come up a little more before getting back on the blood trail for the one I did hit. Pretty down on myself for making 2 bad shots within an hour. I practiced hard all summer too and still messed it all up. Think the excitement just got to me

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chef said:

Good luck Chef. 

9 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Well I'm back in the same stand... upon further review with an actual rangefinder, the doe I missed was at 34 yards and I thought it was right at 40. I'm guessing it was a combination of misjudged distance and her jumping the string. This is the first summer I've been able to even practice beyond 20 yards so until now I've never shot at a deer past 20 yards so I never even thought about them ducking an arrow. Moral of the story is I F'd up and should've aimed lower. Gonna let the sun come up a little more before getting back on the blood trail for the one I did hit. Pretty down on myself for making 2 bad shots within an hour. I practiced hard all summer too and still messed it all up. Think the excitement just got to me

It happens. I emptied my quiver at a doe, one time. Never cut a hair. 

I think practice goes out the window sometimes when buck fever hits. 

Hope you find it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Good luck Ryan. I'd offer to help track, but I've got two back to back Dr appointment this morning.  Hopefully it will be a fast tracking job. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chef said:

Good luck chef.  That blood looks like he was standing there for a bit.  Fingers crossed for ya.