Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

3 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Didn’t plan to hunt this evening, but after a stressful day at work, I knew if I didn’t go seek stand therapy, I would be hitting the bourbon pretty hard…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have went and here I sit with a cold beer in my hand,what a dummy

• Like 1

Being handicapped from hip replacement surgery. Can I shoot one from my vehicle or house and Dec can drag it lol. Needed to say that being a smartass. Congrats to all that scored. Hopefully be out soon November we will see. Cold is making them move. Last night before dark field next to my house had 30-40 deer multiple bucks. I'm in the dacks deer are finally coming back around. Waiting to see how many are out there tonight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Being handicapped from hip replacement surgery. Can I shoot one from my vehicle or house and Dec can drag it lol. Needed to say that being a smartass. Congrats to all that scored. Hopefully be out soon November we will see. Cold is making them move. Last night before dark field next to my house had 30-40 deer multiple bucks. I'm in the dacks deer are finally coming back around. Waiting to see how many are out there tonight.

30-40 deer? holy shit. that's a great season of sightings.

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I am in fact. Live from the woods. And killed a doe 12 minutes in lol. I was barely seated and lucky I had stopped moving around 8380c43a1df2938480c971ddf7b24d32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what time does your cinematographer arrive for the retrieval video?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BizCT said:

30-40 deer? holy shit. that's a great season of sightings.

Yes my neighbor had winter rye and used to do organic potatoes. Plus town garage has 2 green lush soccer fields there. Most I've seen before was 12-15. Last night was crazy. Private all around. Most guys don't shoot does so the buck to do ratio is out of wack. Checked camera that's been soaked since August. Just have a doe and fawn. They don't like my property I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billey100 said:

This is so cool to see!  How old is he, I want to show my son the pics!

He is 13, last year he missed a couple deer during archery but shot a nice little 7pt opening day of gun. He has put alot of time in over the summer getting more proficient with his bow. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We will wait for the morning to shoot all the B-Roll so I need to keep these clothes clean. By the way I am team Lumenock for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

light nocks are the best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

I always appreciate the honesty of forum members posting unrecovered deer. I have to believe there are exponentially more every year that don't get posted.

I do to.  Un-recovered deer is one of the toughest things of the sport.  If someone can get just a bit of encouragement and/or good advice from forum members, it can reduce those numbers.   

Shooting a deer is a lot different than shooting a target.  Targets don’t flip to a state of super-high alert, when they catch a glimpse of you drawing your bow.  And that target is always in the same place when your arrow arrives as it was when it was released. 

Maybe NY state should get with the program and make crossbows legal for all of archery season, and we could cut down a bit on these sad stories.

Remember that non-biased study of deer recovery percentage that Culver posted a few years ago from the military base ?  It showed a very significant advantage of a crossbow with mechanical broadheads, when compared to one with fixed blades, or compared to a vertical  bow with either type of broadhead.

The other great thing about the crossbow, and not needing to draw with a deer in close, is that you don’t need to hunt from the stratosphere to help hide your draw.  How many tree stand fall injuries do we see every year ?

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

8a74a43ffbb8a498584d57052c15caf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a 5 day work week this week, then not another one til 2nd week of December. That drop in the temp looks good but looks like lake effect rain Fri into sat ...
I'm not big on the early season but much more tempting when it's cooler than usual.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I do to.  Un-recovered deer is one of the toughest things of the sport.  If someone can get just a bit of encouragement and/or good advice from forum members, it can reduce those numbers.   

Shooting a deer is a lot different than shooting a target.  Targets don’t flip to a state of super-high alert, when they catch a glimpse of you drawing your bow.  And that target is always in the same place when your arrow arrives as it was when it was released. 

Maybe NY state should get with the program and make crossbows legal for all of archery season, and we could cut down a bit on these sad stories.

Remember that non-biased study of deer recovery percentage that Culver posted a few years ago from the military base ?  It showed a very significant advantage of a crossbow with mechanical broadheads, when compared to one with fixed blades, or compared to a vertical  bow with either type of broadhead.

The other great thing about the crossbow, and not needing to draw with a deer in close, is that you don’t need to hunt from the stratosphere to help hide your draw.  How many tree stand fall injuries do we see every year ?

I'm 100 percent in favor of crossbows in regular season, it just makes sense.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

I was thinking the exact same thing, I’ve been a little surprised on how many guys have said they’ve taken  this shot on here and archeytalk so far this year . 

• Like 1

So for the second time this year I have had a red fox come into the field and harass a group of does. After the fawns ran off the older does came back and chased the fox out of the field. Has anyone ever seen this before. I never had until this year and now I've seen it twice.

• Like 1