Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

8 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

So for the second time this year I have had a red fox come into the field and harass a group of does. After the fawns ran off the older does came back and chased the fox out of the field. Has anyone ever seen this before. I never had until this year and now I've seen it twice.

Fox is probably playing.  They used to run around and jump after my atv driving through meadows. They are pretty playful animals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

500bf66ebe9e1705866fcd1b66f50d6c.jpg
3b96ffe6bf964a69a332f43d52939d6d.jpg
Big gal, I love starting a season like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

She is ugly too.  Big ole long nose. Sure sign of one that was ready to be eaten!

nice shot too!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, I’ve been a little surprised on how many guys have said they’ve taken  this shot on here and archeytalk so far this year . 

3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

Mistakes happen, that's how most of us learn. 

I'm surprised you "seasoned" guys are surprised that this shot is taken more than it probably should be. Especially since you both know in the heat of the moment some of us lose track of some of the basics we learn. Not all of us are thinking that it's going to be a crappy shot but we'll take it anyway because we aren't thinking clearly.

In my case I only realized what I had did about 30 minutes after I took my shot. 

Live and learn...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, heavuser said:

I'm surprised you "seasoned" guys are surprised that this shot is taken more than it probably should be. Especially since you both know in the heat of the moment some of us lose track of some of the basics we learn. Not all of us are thinking that it's going to be a crappy shot but we'll take it anyway because we aren't thinking clearly.

In my case I only realized what I had did about 30 minutes after I took my shot. 

Live and learn...

Take it all in as constructive.   Seriously you killed your first deer with a bow. That’s perfect.  Experience allows us all to perfect it.  I just started 10 years ago.  Plenty of deer later, I am a different hunter.  Enjoy the journey. 

and by the way, my first kill was a mature doe where I took out a leg with the first shot and had to put several more arrows in her.  Don’t fret, now having probably 50 deer under my belt, it gets easier. 

and any hunter that denies having taken a less than ideal shot is probably full of it.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 10

30 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

500bf66ebe9e1705866fcd1b66f50d6c.jpg
3b96ffe6bf964a69a332f43d52939d6d.jpg
Big gal, I love starting a season like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You going to just let that light go out on its own? 

Nice shot and congrats on the freezer filler!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

Same . My young cop neighbor got a bow this year and is being mentoring by a guy he works with . He came over today as I was shooting ,we talked for quite awhile , I had two block targets out, one with a BH in it and one with three field points, my first question was has he been shooting BH ? Yes . Good , but not on his bag target at home  , I said come over and shoot my block anytime .

Then I went on to front quartering , broadside ,and rear quartering with details on each and aiming for the exit hole , I said absolutely no front quartering , and shoot at a relaxed deer not spooked one . 

A new Hunter needs confidence and that comes from close shots and still broadside deer , my two cents .

And yes I’m taking him to my spot . 

• Like 5

I missed opening weekend for a bunch of poor reasons, but got out this afternoon.  Saw 12 different deer, one was a really beautiful 8 pointer.  He was at least 200 yards away near last light and never came closer.  Started to draw on a doe at 18 yards, but to quartered away hard at the last second, so I didn’t go to full draw.  

Best thing about tonight was I forgot my cell phone on the charger at home, so no phone at all.  It may be my regular routine.  Four hour sit and it flew by. 

• Like 5

Didn’t make it out today because work was obnoxious. First time in a long time where it was such I didn’t want to get in a tree. Ah well. Tomorrow is a new day.

That said, I sat PM in the same stand both Sat and Sun. Partner did the same. It’s amazing to see activity drop off after pressure applied, even smart pressure. Cam photos in PM daylight went from 10-15 images per day down to 2 this evening at my stand area. Deer respond to pressure by shifting. Cams that were getting lower pic counts went up today - about 100 yards NE on opposite side of thicket. 

Farmer took out a row of corn for us for the next week or so. Then they’ll be hammer down in the combines. Better get at it.

This Ohio buck has gotten the best of me now for two opening weeks. Seen him once from the stand last year at 60 yards. Moved stand and got in close. Cat and mouse until rut and then gone until late season. This year, he shows at my stand spot the morning before opener in light. No show opening AM when I am there. Shows PM at that spot after I move to the other farm. Bah. I don’t think he put on inches. Put on some weight though.

A424081F-7FA0-4F2A-935E-D0CDA05C8B6E.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Live and learn...

My comment was not meant to be derogatory, yes stuff happens especially with archer equipment. Hence why archers need to be a bit more selective with how they pick that shot . I’ve passed up countless deer because they did not give a good archery kill shot. Now having said that , I’ve lost 2 deer in all my years hunting and it  sucks no doubt. We all get excited and that’s the best part,  but us archers owe it to the deer we hunt to try and make the very best quick kill shot we can. I am genuinely surprised that some are taking these marginal shots. 

• Like 5

I missed the first few days of deer season but honestly, I had a good excuse. Wyoming Antelope hunt with three friends. First time for all of us and we had a great time. Saw lots of antelope, made a lot of stalks, failed on a lot of stalks but in the end we all scored. Three of us within a half mile of each other in a 30 minute time span. Just a great trip.

2244420D-C99E-41B4-9508-9F62E2BD9F76.jpeg

• Like 32

47 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

I missed the first few days of deer season but honestly, I had a good excuse. Wyoming Antelope hunt with three friends. First time for all of us and we had a great time. Saw lots of antelope, made a lot of stalks, failed on a lot of stalks but in the end we all scored. Three of us within a half mile of each other in a 30 minute time span. Just a great trip.

2244420D-C99E-41B4-9508-9F62E2BD9F76.jpeg

Awsome! I want to do this someday. 

7 hours ago, BizCT said:

I always appreciate the honesty of forum members posting unrecovered deer. I have to believe there are exponentially more every year that don't get posted.

Obviously, I know someone who  teaches archery had a shop to and won Tournaments . You know what he told me one time  He rarely hunts with a bow anymore cause even he lost deer From bad shots or the deer moving out of way or branches . He just rather wait till gun seaaon . Told me  Probably 90% of the guys that come in his shop have no business hunting  with a bow or  Aren't good enough to shoot a deer more than 10 yd away with one even with the new high tech gear . He  thinks  a lot of bad shots is  because people don't  Practicine in the same position that they are actually hunting in or from,   You hunt deer from a tree stand you should practice from a tree stand in the woods same set up . If you hunt from a blind you should practice from the blind. If you dont he said you should only take shots  from half your practice distance . 

Edited by phantom
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

My comment was not meant to be derogatory, yes stuff happens especially with archer equipment. Hence why archers need to be a bit more selective with how they pick that shot . I’ve passed up countless deer because they did not give a good archery kill shot. Now having said that , I’ve lost 2 deer in all my years hunting and it  sucks no doubt. We all get excited and that’s the best part,  but us archers owe it to the deer we hunt to try and make the very best quick kill shot we can. I am genuinely surprised that some are taking these marginal shots. 

Well said. A bad hit can and does happen to every archer if you hunt long enough. Been there myself. Passed up alot more shots, than I've ever taken over many decades of bowhunting. I've never regretted one of those shots not taken. Not being selective just increases the odds of a bad hit. Plain and simple. Seen the results over my years tracking with Deersearch. And yeah, I guess it's made me a little cynical. We all make mistakes. Some learn more from them than others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, I know someone who  teaches archery had a shop to and won Tournaments . You know what he told me one time  He rarely hunts with a bow anymore cause even he lost deer From bad shots or the deer moving out of way or branches . He just rather wait till gun seaaon . Told me  Probably 90% of the guys that come in his shop have no business hunting  with a bow or  Aren't good enough to shoot a deer more than 10 yd away with one even with the new high tech gear . He  thinks  a lot of bad shots is  because people don't  Practicine in the same position that they are actually hunting in or from,   You hunt deer from a tree stand you should practice from a tree stand in the woods same set up . If you hunt from a blind you should practice from the blind. If you dont he said you should only take shots  from half your practice distance . 

Its my first year bow hunting and I am not gonna lie, these first few sits have made me realize how tough it is gonna be.

I’ve sat 4 times and each one has only had one spot where I needed a deer to walk by perfectly in order for me to have the confidence to let it fly.

Although the degree of difficulty has gone up and my chances are now lower, I have loved it so far.

All the pre-planning, sneaking into spots I have never gone before with my rifle and getting those close interactions even if I don’t shoot bring me enough joy to give it a go.

Plus getting to say I shot a deer from 8yds is pretty badass IMO. Hopefully it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 13