Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Which is why it needs to be made archery equipment and archery course required. 

we agree there, but I'll save the debate from another thread. The course goes a long way, but every compound hunter here and on AT has taken it, yet we still make bad choices (including myself here). All I was trying to point out is that I don't think many deer are lost because of accuracy, I think they're lost because of shot choice and I don't see how a crossbow would change that, other than potentially increase the wounding loss rate. Sure they're more accurate and at greater distance, but a shoulder is a shoulder and quartering towards is quartering towards regardless. Heck over confidence because you have a more lethal and accurate weapon capable of longer ranges could be even worse. 

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

I stopped reading when he said the guy no longer deer hunts with a bow, and waits for gun. I'd give up my first born before I stopped bow hunting lol. Tells me he's a target shooter and nothing more. Many guys can win gold medals shooting at a target and be some of the worst shots in the woods. They are not the same thing.

Well he said soomething like he  does not always have the time himself  to put in the time he knows he would need to have a chance at what he want to shoot at .  He only goes after muture bucks . Or somthing to that effect . 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Well he said soomething like he  does not always have the time himself  to put in the time he knows he would need to have a chance at what he want to shoot at .  He only goes after muture bucks . Or somthing to that effect . 

So he's a mature buck hunter only, but doesn't have the time and just gave up on it all together instead? I'm sorry man, there's something more here and if there's not, this guys opinion does not reflect what many of us believe to be true with regards to archery hunting. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Belo said:

you're right here. I will add too that many hunters discount prep. I know a few here that put in the time like I do, but many don't. I spend weekends and countless hours trimming shooting lanes, adjusting stand placement, clearing runs etc. Sometimes we get caught in taking a bad shot because it was the only shot we had on that nice buck. My advice to all here is to spend more time in August and September working your stands so that you don't have to rely on that one shooting lane only. If you're hunting a field, set a marker out at the distance you're comfortable shooting with and then you don't have to rely on your range finder in the heat of the moment. So many things we can do to prep for hunting that will pay off.

Since he teaches  archery and has a shop  he feels  Responsible if someone does something stupid , I  believe he said 10 yd because he knows people don't listen  Don't practice enough and  they are going to shoot 20  30 yd anyways and if he said 20 yards guys  would  Stretch it out 40 or more . He wants people to hunt ethically you know.  He's not one of those guys that's going to try to blow smoke up your ass and sell your new fancy archery equipment and tell you  thats going to make you be able to shot long range at a deer with out  putting the time in .  He's an honest guy. 

Edited by phantom

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Since he teaches  archery and has a shop  he feels  Responsible if someone does something stupid , I  believe he said 10 yd because he knows people don't listen  Don't practice enough and  they are going to shoot 20  30 yd anyways and if he said 20 yards guys  would  Stretch it out 40 or more . He wants people to hunt ethically you know.  He's not one of those guys that's going to try to blow smoke up your ass and sell your new fancy archery equipment and tell you  thats going to make you be able to shot long range at a deer with putting the time in .  He's an honest guy. 

But he's also a non-hunter telling other people how to hunt? GTFO with that.

I don't want to derail this thread any further so I'll leave it be here, but it sounds like he's a good archer and not a great hunter. Nothing wrong with that. But history does tell us that woodsmanship, hunting ability, archer accuracy etc are not mutually exclusive. You can be a good hunter and not a good archer and vise versa. I'd have a hard time taking hunting advice from a guy who quit hunting. Now if I was in an archery league or competing on paper? Sure, sounds like he'd be a great teacher.

carry on yall. 

24 minutes ago, Belo said:

So he's a mature buck hunter only, but doesn't have the time and just gave up on it all together instead? I'm sorry man, there's something more here and if there's not, this guys opinion does not reflect what many of us believe to be true with regards to archery hunting. 

I don't know he in he 70s been around. 

Who is going out today? I will be out. Late, but out. Probably in the stand around 5:15-5:30. Gives about 90 ish minutes or so. 

I'll likely end up with a field shower before, washing off the stink from the office (mostly my hair gel).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

But he's also a non-hunter telling other people how to hunt? GTFO with that.

I don't want to derail this thread any further so I'll leave it be here, but it sounds like he's a good archer and not a great hunter. Nothing wrong with that. But history does tell us that woodsmanship, hunting ability, archer accuracy etc are not mutually exclusive. You can be a good hunter and not a good archer and vise versa. I'd have a hard time taking hunting advice from a guy who quit hunting. Now if I was in an archery league or competing on paper? Sure, sounds like he'd be a great teacher.

carry on yall. 

Possibly I don't know you might be right  I forgot what he told me but he had something to do with the Olympics too this guy  I don't remember if he was training them or competed I can't remember .He also told me he trained some actor for a movie few years back.  I forgot the name of the movie was one of those Greek mythology movies . 

17 minutes ago, phade said:

Who is going out today? I will be out. Late, but out. Probably in the stand around 5:15-5:30. Gives about 90 ish minutes or so. 

I'll likely end up with a field shower before, washing off the stink from the office (mostly my hair gel).

Hunted AM, saw a very nice buck walking slow through the woods at 7:30 . Next up will be Thursday AM . Not much of an afternoon guy this time of the season .

No hair gel , due to no hair ….

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, phade said:

Was supposed to do my NY opener this morning. But heavy rain, so switched to Thursday AM

1 hour ago, phade said:

i'm going out tonight. cams have been very active for this time a year, but mostly 1.5's and 2.5's. Looks like it's going to warm up a little so you just never know!