Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

So he’s taken the exact route both times I’ve watched him this week , that yellow line . I could use this stand blue dot and hope he come by 20 yards closer .

or if you follow the line left it points towards my “ back “ stand it’s real thick behind it open woods in front . Not sure if he comes straight through the woods from the back or enters from a side then straight down .

or after I get down I have a ladder stand I could put on his path near where I’ve seen him , that’s a bit of work and noise and although I’ve always put ladder  stands up alone it’s getting harder .

help !

F06C7A30-FA17-4FC4-8DD5-50A409205ABB.jpeg

Myself I would wait till tomorrow’s rain and hang a little loc on in a tree with lots of limbs if possible or in your case move the ladder in closer to the trail but still out at your furthest comfortable shooting range to give him a bit of room. Get er did. 

• Like 1

I have one hang on left with sticks , it’s home , so it’s not going up today . Perhaps I’ll bring it next time , but sit in back stand and see just where he’s coming from ,then hang it if need be .

Blue dot was 40 yards from him that’s not a shot i take 

Edit hanging it in tomorrows rain is a good idea ,I know where he walks over here .

im not much of a small hang on guy anymore though …

Edited by Nomad

Was toying with hunting this AM, but I didn't like the warm weather we just got and tried to remind myself not to overhunt too early. I know many subscribe to "you can't kill them at home" but I also think it matter what you're trying to kill. So I'm trying to stay real low impact. Will still probably hunt tomorrow with another cold snap. Cam at the stand I was going to hunt did pop a mom and fawn which I would have passed anyhow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I have one hang on left with sticks , it’s home , so it’s not going up today . Perhaps I’ll bring it next time , but sit in back stand and see just where he’s coming from ,then hang it if need be .

Blue dot was 40 yards from him that’s not a shot i take 

Edit hanging it in tomorrows rain is a good idea ,I know where he walks over here .

im not much of a small hang on guy anymore though …

I agree with FSW and would simply hang it around lunch.   If thats the open woodlot area vs the thick stuff, find a big ole tree as you will want cover since you are moving the furniture in his living room.   Remember that wind too when placing the stand.  Knock him down Lar!

• Like 1

Shot from same stabdmy wife shot hers out of opening night. This guy was at one of the borderline shooters but I couldn't pass him up at 23 yards. Actually hit him back a little in the liver. Found him this morning still alive 14 hours later! I was down to the last section of brushy scrubby stuff to check and heard some strange growling and thrashing by this big white pine tree in the brush. I could see the top of saplings moving around I first thought was that scavengers had found the deer. I went in and found the buck laying there but he was still barely alive. Ended up dispatching him by stabbing him in the heart. Holy crap, what an ending to that ordeal...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Shot from same stabdmy wife shot hers out of opening night. This guy was at one of the borderline shooters but I couldn't pass him up at 23 yards. Actually hit him back a little in the liver. Found him this morning still alive 14 hours later! I was down to the last section of brushy scrubby stuff to check and heard some strange growling and thrashing by this big white pine tree in the brush. I could see the top of saplings moving around I first thought was that scavengers had found the deer. I went in and found the buck laying there but he was still barely alive. Ended up dispatching him by stabbing him in the heart. Holy crap, what an ending to that ordeal...

Screenshot_20220916-173936.png

man that's a tough one, but glad you recovered him and he's done suffering. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I agree with FSW and would simply hang it around lunch.   If thats the open woodlot area vs the thick stuff, find a big ole tree as you will want cover since you are moving the furniture in his living room.   Remember that wind too when placing the stand.  Knock him down Lar!

Same stand as one you helped me track . 40 yards to left of it same as that other buck .

I may hang my LW tomorrow late morning , I’m not as agile anymore, stepping off sticks with a bad hip is a risk .

not much cover too,  they’re mostly phone pole trees 

he walks down the slope would it be better to be on top or Below ? Below has cover 

22 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

That stand is on fire! @crappyice loves a good heart stab!