Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

19 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Entrance, quartering away...

IMG_20221006_115953400.thumb.jpg.10d6c24e56c58bb30fb37890f505fa28.jpg

Exit...

IMG_20221006_115935236.thumb.jpg.b84ad7c60f4e8aaa7e064649cc083e64.jpg

Couldn't ask for a better hit!!! Sometimes even a perfect hit leaves us scratching our head. The tenacity of these animals is crazy sometimes. 

Congratulations! Nice buck!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Expandable...Sevr 1.5"

I hit one in almost the same spot with a 16 ga Remington slugger last fall (his head and front shoulder was hidden behind a tree and I aimed as close as I dared to the tree).  He only ran off about 40 yards.    

There is a big difference in how a broadhead kills (by hemoraging) and a bullet (by shock and hemoraging) and that usually increases the room for error considerably.  

He made it into some heavy cover but there was a decent blood trail on the sparse snow so it was an easy track.

C73142B0-EF11-472E-AD9F-E6AA98E0C7DF.thumb.jpeg.bcb0aeae9ca18327e12c9d325a98ca4b.jpeg

I never tried the heart stab for finishing but it seems like a good idea especially if you want to do a shoulder mount.  The jugular slit works good, if they are on their feet.  Use your right hand, if you are on their back, and have them in a hammer lock (or antler hold ) with your left hand.  I only did that once with a doe.  Not sure if I would attempt it again.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

It may have gotten it...he was just a mess inside. I had a long drag it across a deep ravine so I didn't spend too much time analyzing the damage.

I think you did get the back of the lung,but there are fewer blood vessel in the back and top of the lung. Amazing how you never know for sure until you find them. Tough tough critters.

30 minutes ago, crappyice said:

How did that miss the backside lung?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

It may have gotten it...he was just a mess inside. I had a long drag it across a deep ravine so I didn't spend too much time analyzing the damage.

I agree... my only explanation is that you may have only clipped the backside lung if he was quartering away and a single lung liver can be a slow death. But honestly I would have thought dead in under 50 looking at those pics. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

I agree... my only explanation is that you may have only clipped the backside lung if he was quartering away and a single lung liver can be a slow death. But honestly I would have thought dead in under 50 looking at those pics. 

Same, Id have packed up and gotten right on that

I gave into peer pressure and just hung my only hang on where that Buck has moved through . It was a good reminder of why I sold my climber and all other hang ons , what a pain . Took me three times longer then it used to, many trips up and down with all the sticks , locks, haul line setting up,life line which btw I put the lock cable over  so I couldn’t  get back down with out undoing it .

And man that platform is small …

Its set so my back is to where he comes from , that way he’ll pass my left and all I need to do,is raise the bow and draw , plus the trunk gives me some cover .

So I’m sure he won’t walk that path a third morning now .

oh I also made a new face mask for the tree .

70737516-A747-40B8-B3FD-1221D6B93AE7.jpeg

49FBCFBD-3674-40F3-A63F-D30AB06B23FF.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I gave into peer pressure and just hung my only hang on where that Buck has moved through . It was a good reminder of why I sold my climber and all other hang ons , what a pain . Took me three times longer then it used to, many trips up and down with all the sticks , locks, haul line setting up,life line which btw I put the lock cable over  so I couldn’t  get back down with out undoing it .

And man that platform is small …

Its set so my back is to where he comes from , that way he’ll pass my left and all I need to do,is raise the bow and draw , plus the trunk gives me some cover .

So I’m sure he won’t walk that path a third morning now .

oh I also made a new face mask for the tree .

70737516-A747-40B8-B3FD-1221D6B93AE7.jpeg

49FBCFBD-3674-40F3-A63F-D30AB06B23FF.jpeg

That's the best camo I've ever seen!

• Like 1

We scouted a new piece if public and found minimal sign.. probably walked an hour circle and ended up jumping a big doe 60yds from truck.. lol

Also came across a tiny creek with some native brookies.

60580c3088fedbdfaa032475ce6cb490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing better than Brookies in the fall.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Looks about perfect to me.   Congrats on a dandy with some real tenacity!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I hit one in almost the same spot with a 16 ga Remington slugger last fall (his head and front shoulder was hidden behind a tree and I aimed as close as I dared to the tree).  He only ran off about 40 yards.    

There is a big difference in how a broadhead kills (by hemoraging) and a bullet (by shock and hemoraging) and that usually increases the room for error considerably.  

He made it into some heavy cover but there was a decent blood trail on the sparse snow so it was an easy track.

C73142B0-EF11-472E-AD9F-E6AA98E0C7DF.thumb.jpeg.bcb0aeae9ca18327e12c9d325a98ca4b.jpeg

I never tried the heart stab for finishing but it seems like a good idea especially if you want to do a shoulder mount.  The jugular slit works good, if they are on their feet.  Use your right hand, if you are on their back, and have them in a hammer lock (or antler hold ) with your left hand.  I only did that once with a doe.  Not sure if I would attempt it again.  

Wolc

Its pretty easy in that position to simply choke them out.  Be sure to get that choke hold in deep and squeeze hard.  Saves wear and tear on the knife blade.

• Like 3