Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

We will be taking a kid out tomorrow evening. Kid is down in dumps. High hit an 8 pt this week. No dice. Hopefully we can get him a deer. Definitely not getting the daylight photos we need. Seems like the 4-630 AM time is really active here. Corn is coming down though today and tomorrow.

Good luck, hope he gets one. I know the feeling and the only true way to make it go away is for him to put one on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wish we took the kid out this AM. Doe parade. 8 so far. 4 within 10 yards. Partner has to go to an auction so I’m in an short stand observing a transition area between corn fields. Worked like a charm. I’ll be done by 8-815 probably.

Watching a real good buck through my RF. On neighbors but he is a stud. Far away but I can tell from here….big guy. Working his way back to bedding.

• Like 1

Wish we took the kid out this AM. Doe parade. 8 so far. 4 within 10 yards. Partner has to go to an auction so I’m in an short stand observing a transition area between corn fields. Worked like a charm. I’ll be done by 8-815 probably.

Watching a real good buck through my RF. On neighbors but he is a stud. Far away but I can tell from here….big guy. Working his way back to bedding.

18. First 8 we’re heading deeper into our ground. Rest have all been coming off a clover field and working to bedding across field to neighbor. Known bedding area there as we used to have shed hunting permission. Can’t do much about that pattern.

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Good luck, hope he gets one. I know the feeling and the only true way to make it go away is for him to put one on the ground

I hate the no elevation rule for youth hunt. Dumb. I’m all for youth getting involved but I am not a fan of the weekend. Would prefer to get kids involved normally and without specialness. Plus getting them going in a stand early helps IMO.

Would love to get kid here but no blind in a good spot and we need a touch of elevation here to cover ground. I’m only 7 ish feet up but makes a world of difference due to lay of land.

• Like 3

Just now, phade said:

I hate the no elevation rule for youth hunt. Dumb. I’m all for youth getting involved but I am not a fan of the weekend. Would prefer to get kids involved normally and without specialness. Plus getting them going in a stand early helps IMO.

Would love to get kid here but no blind in a good spot and we need a touch of elevation here to cover ground. I’m only 7 ish feet up but makes a world of difference due to lay of land.

I dont really hunt much out of a stand with my gun, but elevation usually gives you some sight advantage.

• Like 1

Interesting observation. This berm was put in December 2020 when neighbor clear cut woods bordering us. Really destroyed the hunting here. Starting to figure it out though. This berm is a funnel now. Deer work to this opening. But what’s interesting is that they ALL stop right here to scan the open area they couldn’t see behind it. Saw a big buck last year run over the berm in rut. That was cool. 

F1BFE6DC-5B8A-4F4A-8791-E8C22FB6E1F7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, phade said:

I hate it as well, if they bow hunt a tree stand seems silly to not let them gun hunt as well. Safety harness is a safety harness and with a bar for a rest they are actually sitting the whole time rather then standing if needed for bow.

My biggest reason however is I like the bullet trajectory going down into the ground for a youth.  Just seems safer to me than missing on the ground and backstops.

I get why they do it for their reasons, just not a fan.

• Like 1

I hate it as well, if they bow hunt a tree stand seems silly to not let them gun hunt as well. Safety harness is a safety harness and with a bar for a rest they are actually sitting the whole time rather then standing if needed for bow.
My biggest reason however is I like the bullet trajectory going down into the ground for a youth.  Just seems safer to me than missing on the ground and backstops.
I get why they do it for their reasons, just not a fan.

Myself and 2 friends wrote up a resolution to allow youth to hunt with a crossbow or gun from an elevated position. First it was submitted to the Erie County Federation of Sportsmen where it got support and passed onto the New York State Conservation Council. At the council’s fall meeting our resolution got the support of the council and now they will take it and lobby the state during the 2023 legislative year. There is no guarantee the state will change the law but nothing was going to change unless someone tried.

So keep your fingers crossed and maybe in 2023 the youth will be allowed up in a tree stand.

• Like 8

Just had a small 4 come in, work a liking branch and push around some fawns. They got fed up with him and one blew and everyone took off. Very cool to watch hopefully his grandpa shows up

• Like 7