Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Waiting till morning.concerns on meat not be any good,luckily not alot of yotes around but have had em on cam.owe it to the deer though to do my damnest.i hope he layed down 100 yards from there and done.i really hope

It’s cold enough. The meat will be fine as long as the yotes don’t get to it. I’ve noticed more yotes on cam over here in my neck of 8G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to sound soft or anything but I really do appreciate everyone's well wishes and advice.i have screwed up in the past by pushing deer and learning from my mistakes.have lost 1 deer sence I started hunting deer and not looking to loose another.got lucky with the others and found em in 2nd bed(admit my fault's).Doing my all and pulling out the stops.Am excited to see a dog work it's magic(my first time) and know it's my best option as it gets pretty thick over on neighbors property.hopefully pics to come tomorrow with my 2nd biggest buck to date.if it doesn't happen I hope it makes it regardless 

• Like 7

Well my daughters first day of hunting ended like most of our days hunting. Only saw a couple of does on our way in this morning. Nothing while sitting morning or evening. Gonna give the same spot a go in the morning.

2 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

It’s cold enough. The meat will be fine as long as the yotes don’t get to it. I’ve noticed more yotes on cam over here in my neck of 8G

Hoping not but tracker had mentioned the same.i honestly only see yotes on cam maybe 5 times a year,but I only run one cam also.he told me he went on a track last week in Groveland and only thing left was front shoulders.the dog didn't even want to run the track it wreaked so bad of yote!

I'm hunting in the morning but I'm not setting an alarm. I have zero faith.

I am so happy to be attending a walk for the hearing impaired for my little cousin tomorrow morning!!! The fact that it lines up with a full moon is just gravy!

• Like 1

Just got the phone recharged and am catching up.. congrats @The_Real_TCIII and good luck @doebuck1234!

A buddy of mine scored in Barker last night on a solid 8pt. Chest girth measured 42"m which put live weight somewhere around 218lbs. I brought my son along and helped skin and quarter the deer. 

Left there around 9:30 and saw a car strike a deer 5 minutes from my house. seemed like a clean hit on a decent 8pt. I dropped the kid off at home and went back to get the buck. Officer on site gave me a tag for it. My plan was just to check it out, maybe get a little meat and a euro out of it. If the meat was mangled, or smelly or slimy or at all questionable, I'd discard it without question. So when I got it home I opened the hide from the top along the spine and worked my way along. I had no desire to gut the thing. To my surprise, both backstraps, both rear quarters, and one front shoulder were all in perfect shape. I'm guessing I ended up with 40ish pounds of meat and a decent little euro from it.

Got done with that around midnight and was awake at 4. In the woods by 6 for a 7:14 sunrise. The wind was chillier than expected and swirled more from the S than the predicted W. Done by 10. Only saw 2 doe feeding in the corn at about 75 yds for about 20 minutes. 

Brakes on the truck went on the drive home. Started with a grinding a few days ago, but then the brake line popped on the drive home. Front driver's side wheel covered in brake fluid and no pressure in the brake pedal. That'll have me sidelined until I can get that fixed. My mechanic can't get me in until the 18th, but I'll call around.

euro.jpg

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Just got the phone recharged and am catching up.. congrats @The_Real_TCIII and good luck @doebuck1234!

A buddy of mine scored in Barker last night on a solid 8pt. Chest girth measured 42"m which put live weight somewhere around 218lbs. I brought my son along and helped skin and quarter the deer. 

Left there around 9:30 and saw a car strike a deer 5 minutes from my house. seemed like a clean hit on a decent 8pt. I dropped the kid off at home and went back to get the buck. Officer on site gave me a tag for it. My plan was just to check it out, maybe get a little meat and a euro out of it. If the meat was mangled, or smelly or slimy or at all questionable, I'd discard it without question. So when I got it home I opened the hide from the top along the spine and worked my way along. I had no desire to gut the thing. To my surprise, both backstraps, both rear quarters, and one front shoulder were all in perfect shape. I'm guessing I ended up with 40ish pounds of meat and a decent little euro from it.

Got done with that around midnight and was awake at 4. In the woods by 6 for a 7:14 sunrise. The wind was chillier than expected and swirled more from the S than the predicted W. Done by 10. Only saw 2 doe feeding in the corn at about 75 yds for about 20 minutes. 

Brakes on the truck went on the drive home. Started with a grinding a few days ago, but then the brake line popped on the drive home. Front driver's side wheel covered in brake fluid and no pressure in the brake pedal. That'll have me sidelined until I can get that fixed. My mechanic can't get me in until the 18th, but I'll call around.

euro.jpg

People laugh but I’m friends with a lot of deputies and they call me every time they gotta shoot one. I get 20-30lbs of em on average and the backstraps are always fine. I also never gut them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Not to sound soft or anything but I really do appreciate everyone's well wishes and advice.i have screwed up in the past by pushing deer and learning from my mistakes.have lost 1 deer sence I started hunting deer and not looking to loose another.got lucky with the others and found em in 2nd bed(admit my fault's).Doing my all and pulling out the stops.Am excited to see a dog work it's magic(my first time) and know it's my best option as it gets pretty thick over on neighbors property.hopefully pics to come tomorrow with my 2nd biggest buck to date.if it doesn't happen I hope it makes it regardless 

I never used a dog, but a prayer worked good on the last one that I shot with an arrow (crossbow bolt actually), back in 2019, and could not find right away.  That was also my largest archery season buck and second highest scoring rack overall (my prayer got answered quick that time).  I just sent one up, that you find yours this morning. 

One other thing that you (and the coyotes) got going for you is if the shot was far back, lots of scent usually escapes, making the scent-tracking  job considerably easier.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

People laugh but I’m friends with a lot of deputies and they call me every time they gotta shoot one. I get 20-30lbs of em on average and the backstraps are always fine. I also never gut them.

My brother in law is retired now, but he was a state trooper, and set me up with them multiple times.  Before I met his sister, I drove to the Amherst police station one time, with one that I had noticed laying next to a mailbox and finished off with my 1-1/4” keychain knife, still steaming in the back of my pickup. 

I will never forget what that late night desk officer said, after I walked into the station dripping with blood (it turned out to be a bloody massacre, when the deer suddenly awoke as I was cutting off its tail for bass jigs).  

Someone had called in the deer earlier, and he asked me: Did the deer have to be shot ? “.   My reply (as I stood before him covered in blood head to toe) was “no, I killed it with my knife”.  He then said “THAT WOULD BE NO”, as he filled out and handed me the carcass tag. 

I gave that deer to a buddy (I had a good year hunting myself and I only needed the tail).  He took it to a butcher who told him that he had never killed a cleaner deer, especially  not one that was a road kill.  It must have ran into the side of a car and knocked itself out.

I had felt the hide of its hip as it laid there, and it felt cool.  I was only going to cut off its tail, but it came too when I started cutting, and stood up suddenly.  That’s when I jumped on the big doe’s  back and slit its throat.  Good thing that little knife was razor sharp.  She did manage to buck me off and land a hoof to my lower leg, giving me a heck of a bruise.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, loworange88 said:

Full moon tomorrow.  I usually sit out on full moons, never had any luck seeing anything.  Cell cams have been pretty quiet too.

My buddy saw 16 Friday and 7 yesterday , said his cameras have been going crazy last few days , he’s going today ,we’ll see .

30 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

My neighbor is a young deputy, sounds like he puts down a lot of deer  . Also this year he’s starting bow hunting , and never gun hunted , I’m taking him next week , should be interesting.

• Like 1