Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

That's the difference between suburbia deer and rural deer.  Suburbia deer are used to human scent and interaction,  they do not blow out to the next county with an encounter, BUT they will pattern you and adjust their travel.

Exactly which is why I bounce from stand to stand. I am also aware of travel routes and know how getting patterned at one stand will effect travel by another. It becomes sort of a game of chess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Dropped another doe from the same stand as this morning! Never got 2 in 1 day before! Definitely holding out for a big buck now! I love this house!d8d339631a018beb702f0c44000693d0.jpga53d6b871abc4fc222a3e7a6b6739023.jpg83bc0f034b43a54fef65b995154832c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well your living up to your forum handle . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm back home empty handed.walked my ass off today that's for sure.had 2 guys and 1 dog show up this morning then the 2ndd guy came back and brought his dog(different from first).walked another hour and a half with no luck and no buck seen.honestly if we bumped him again we probably wouldn't have seen him,holy crap it was thick my arms are all torn up.looks like I'm chalking this one up as a loss.hope he makes it but if not the fox and yotes will have a feast.this blows

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Well I'm back home empty handed.walked my ass off today that's for sure.had 2 guys and 1 dog show up this morning then the 2ndd guy came back and brought his dog(different from first).walked another hour and a half with no luck and no buck seen.honestly if we bumped him again we probably wouldn't have seen him,holy crap it was thick my arms are all torn up.looks like I'm chalking this one up as a loss.hope he makes it but if not the fox and yotes will have a feast.this blows

Keep your eyes open for crows and vultures hovering in a spot that’s uncommon.  Won’t take long for them to find it if he is dead. 

• Like 1

You sure as hell gave it your all. Def sucks to hear.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Nothing goes to waste in nature

Dude, it sounds like you went above and beyond to try to recover. Very admirable. I know it sucks (been there, done that) and you feel terrible, but there’s nothing more you can do. It happens…

Very true @Just Lucky trackers said the same thing.

We were tracking no blood 24 hrs later from where I marked last blood yesterday.keeping high hopes he plugged up to live another day.watching these dogs work was amazing.it honestly almost makes me want to get one and try it.the two gents I worked with today were awesome.ball busters for sure.alot of good laughs and appreciated everything they did.it deff hurts regardless.this was him right before the shot.......

00000152.JPG

• Like 2

Just got back from a week of Grouse and woodcock hunting in Maine. Group of 8 of us went up and even though the numbers were apparently way down, we managed to scrounge up 20 grouse between all of us. I was able to get 5 myself, but should have gotten at least a few more. Those guys are so much fun to hunt, but really hard to hit. It was my first time grouse hunting, but I'm hooked! Here are some pics of a few of the birds.

IMG_7461.jpg

3rd grouse.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Nala walking the trail.jpg

Second grouse.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

First grouse.jpg

• Like 28

18 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Just got back from a week of Grouse and woodcock hunting in Maine. Group of 8 of us went up and even though the numbers were apparently way down, we managed to scrounge up 20 grouse between all of us. I was able to get 5 myself, but should have gotten at least a few more. Those guys are so much fun to hunt, but really hard to hit. It was my first time grouse hunting, but I'm hooked! Here are some pics of a few of the birds.

IMG_7461.jpg

3rd grouse.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Nala walking the trail.jpg

Second grouse.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

First grouse.jpg

Awesome, no bird tastes better than ruffed grouse.  

• Like 2

So of course yesterday was the start of the youth weekend so it's about my youngest son and his last youth hunt. Last year he filled his first tag ever on a young doe so this year he had a couple rules. #1 no yearling deer, #2 no yearling deer. So yesterday morning we drive to my property about 1/2 hour away and it starts raining 5 minutes before we get there. I say out loud it's raining and I hear I'm not worried about a little rain. He might not care but I don't feel like getting rained on so I drive back towards home to another spot. We got set just as first light was poking through and 5 minutes later there's a doe and fawn 15 yards in front of us and of course directly down wind. They never bolt but we weren't moving an inch the both nervously walked off. A couple hours later we headed home for grandma's 97th bday so no afternoon hunt and he wasn't moving this am so I flew to a bow stand solo at about 9am I get a text asking if I'm taking him this afternoon. We drive to my property and get set around 3:30ish and here come two adult doe with fawns and they blew and blew so I said I had a spot to maybe sneak in with the wind how it was so we go. I no sooner creep through the hedrow and here's a good buck about 120 yds in the middle of this green field so I get the stick out he drops to a knee and takes aim. I just keep saying squeeze, squeeze when the gun goes off I'm looking at the deer through binoculars and he starts to bolt as I turn to tell him to shoot again I see a buck flop in the field to the left of the big one and then I hear "do you want me to shoot him too?" As I turn back again and he's now pointing towards the first buck I saw. No don't do it and thank God he didn't but no comes the what are you doing ? Shooting the deer. Why did you shoot that one? I didn't see the big one until I shot. Anyways I'm proud of my boy and he took a 165yd shot with the 30-06 and dropped his first buck.20221009_192530.thumb.jpg.ae210ce957a0982c429fe6d7639c7ffe.jpg20221009_184056.thumb.jpg.9d91953044bf2f10a36868d09741cf19.jpg

• Like 44

One last chance. We moved the ground blind in the dark to be a little closer to where he pops out. It’s rained pretty good last night but no more rain in the forecast. Only going to hunt the morning no matter what happens

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

One last chance. We moved the ground blind in the dark to be a little closer to where he pops out. It’s rained pretty good last night but no more rain in the forecast. Only going to hunt the morning no matter what happens

Pulling for you.  Good luck

32 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Knock em down. 

10 hours ago, bhunterED said:

So of course yesterday was the start of the youth weekend so it's about my youngest son and his last youth hunt. Last year he filled his first tag ever on a young doe so this year he had a couple rules. #1 no yearling deer, #2 no yearling deer. So yesterday morning we drive to my property about 1/2 hour away and it starts raining 5 minutes before we get there. I say out loud it's raining and I hear I'm not worried about a little rain. He might not care but I don't feel like getting rained on so I drive back towards home to another spot. We got set just as first light was poking through and 5 minutes later there's a doe and fawn 15 yards in front of us and of course directly down wind. They never bolt but we weren't moving an inch the both nervously walked off. A couple hours later we headed home for grandma's 97th bday so no afternoon hunt and he wasn't moving this am so I flew to a bow stand solo at about 9am I get a text asking if I'm taking him this afternoon. We drive to my property and get set around 3:30ish and here come two adult doe with fawns and they blew and blew so I said I had a spot to maybe sneak in with the wind how it was so we go. I no sooner creep through the hedrow and here's a good buck about 120 yds in the middle of this green field so I get the stick out he drops to a knee and takes aim. I just keep saying squeeze, squeeze when the gun goes off I'm looking at the deer through binoculars and he starts to bolt as I turn to tell him to shoot again I see a buck flop in the field to the left of the big one and then I hear "do you want me to shoot him too?" As I turn back again and he's now pointing towards the first buck I saw. No don't do it and thank God he didn't but no comes the what are you doing ? Shooting the deer. Why did you shoot that one? I didn't see the big one until I shot. Anyways I'm proud of my boy and he took a 165yd shot with the 30-06 and dropped his first buck.20221009_192530.thumb.jpg.ae210ce957a0982c429fe6d7639c7ffe.jpg20221009_184056.thumb.jpg.9d91953044bf2f10a36868d09741cf19.jpg

Thats a great buck, congrats to you and your son!!

• Like 1

Winds look squirrely this afternoon. Would like to get out but light and variable with the last 90-120 minutes of light being all over the place. Blah. Won't be out tomorrow. I may sit one of two stands that we can observe in. Did that both mornings this weekend and saw good action, but curious if the PM is any different.