Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

11 hours ago, BizCT said:

@Belo is this one of your bucks?

fb22ef6458ed6e2d6a8711fbb512e525.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes and if you look closely you'll realize that I actually shot him with my 06 and put her tag on it because youth season. I'm thinking a semi-sneek slight turn to the left mount.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So TF also shut his alarm off today , that confirms my choice as correct .

Ill be out 2x this weekend , each with a guest , one , some doe killer from downstate and my cop neighbor who’s never hunted before, although he’s shot tons of them . 

The beauty is neither knows which stands produce and which don’t, and I get help dragging mine !

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

So TF also shut his alarm off today , that confirms my choice as correct .

Ill be out 2x this weekend , each with a guest , one , some doe killer from downstate and my cop neighbor who’s never hunted before, although he’s shot tons of them . 

The beauty is neither knows which stands produce and which don’t, and I get help dragging mine !

Working 8:30-8. Off tomorrow but morning looks like a wash.  Hopefully an afternoon hunt 

I don't think anyone is missing anything. Warm and sunny these past few days, big moons at night, tomorrow is wind and rain. Honestly I appreciate it as it's helping me resist the urge to hunt which can burn stands. As others have mentioned, even without loosing an arrow, you start to educate very quickly even with your approach in and out of stands. 

Friday still looks windy, but I'm probably still going to try for an AM hunt if work allows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I don't think anyone is missing anything. Warm and sunny these past few days, big moons at night, tomorrow is wind and rain. Honestly I appreciate it as it's helping me resist the urge to hunt which can burn stands. As others have mentioned, even without loosing an arrow, you start to educate very quickly even with your approach in and out of stands. 

Friday still looks windy, but I'm probably still going to try for an AM hunt if work allows. 

Saturday AM for me in NY as of now.

Work has been crazy. Getting time off that is convenient is tough in my role. Part of the deal. Had to cancel a 5-day vacation this spring. Pick your battles I guess.

I picked mine yesterday. Told my boss, who is less than a year into his current role that I am taking my two weeks in November like I always do. Thought for sure this would be the year that I get the pushback on it given how hectic things are/have been. I have made it pretty clear that it's a non-negotiable for me and thankfully it is still respected when the big picture is taken into account. 

Off Nov 5 through Nov 20. 16 days of hunting and no work.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

Did you take any pics of them?

No. I'm not the sociopath who likes to take creepy pictures. He may have 100 different accounts on here, but I'm not one of them. However, I think they took a picture of me while I was walking out. I got this odd feeling and when I turned around they were out at a field edge with phones in hand watching me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

No. I'm not the sociopath who likes to take creepy pictures. He may have 100 different accounts on here, but I'm not one of them. However, I think they took a picture of me while I was walking out. I got this odd feeling and when I turned around they were out at a field edge with phones in hand watching me.

Is it private or public land? I'm not understanding. 

4 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Is it private or public land? I'm not understanding. 

Public land. They were just doing their thing, no harm, no foul. Unless they are the slime bags who keep knocking my blinds down, then Houston may have a problem. The area I was hunting is up from a swamp and when deer get spoked they head to said swamp, so them going through pretty much ended my hunt, which was fine, as I was only planning to sit for another 30 minutes or so anyway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Public land. They were just doing their thing, no harm, no foul. Unless they are the slime bags who keep knocking my blinds down, then Houston may have a problem. The area I was hunting is up from a swamp and when deer get spoked they head to said swamp, so them going through pretty much ended my hunt, which was fine, as I was only planning to sit for another 30 minutes or so anyway.

got it. understood

• Like 1

Went out last night with my brother, we decided to get super aggressive and get as close to bedding as possible. This motivation was driven by the fact that our previous sits were just a bit too far away and we didn't see movement before darkness set in. Well I am glad we did that because as it turned out there were absolutely no deer in the bedding area of the first place we stopped. We walked all around there and didn't bump one deer.

With that knowledge and the fact that it was just about 4pm we called a hail mary and went to another piece of public with the idea to just a hunt/scout. I have learned so much doing these scouting focused hunts and it is the third time in less than a week where we jumped a doe exactly where I would expect her to jump from a bed. The only problem is I realize the obviousness after the fact. 

I just need to slow down a little bit more, look around and think just a little bit longer and I think I can actually get one before they run. Now this is super hard with a bow, if I would of had my muzzleloader or rifle it woulda been a done deal. I am in a good state of mind though and gaining confidence.

Entering the season my e-scouting skills were pretty high but my in the woods in the moment hunting awareness has been less than ideal. All of these encounters are slowly but surely building up that skillset as well. 

Next hunts will be this weekend in the ADX with a muzzleloader. The odds are low but the foliage is peak, the beers will be ice cold and I will have a smile on my face no matter what... October Lull my ass!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Went out last night with my brother, we decided to get super aggressive and get as close to bedding as possible. This motivation was driven by the fact that our previous sits were just a bit too far away and we didn't see movement before darkness set in. Well I am glad we did that because as it turned out there were absolutely no deer in the bedding area of the first place we stopped. We walked all around there and didn't bump one deer.

With that knowledge and the fact that it was just about 4pm we called a hail mary and went to another piece of public with the idea to just a hunt/scout. I have learned so much doing these scouting focused hunts and it is the third time in less than a week where we jumped a doe exactly where I would expect her to jump from a bed. The only problem is I realize the obviousness after the fact. 

I just need to slow down a little bit more, look around and think just a little bit longer and I think I can actually get one before they run. Now this is super hard with a bow, if I would of had my muzzleloader or rifle it woulda been a done deal. I am in a good state of mind though and gaining confidence.

Entering the season my e-scouting skills were pretty high but my in the woods in the moment hunting awareness has been less than ideal. All of these encounters are slowly but surely building up that skillset as well. 

Next hunts will be this weekend in the ADX with a muzzleloader. The odds are low but the foliage is peak, the beers will be ice cold and I will have a smile on my face no matter what... October Lull my ass!

Nice. There is no lull, just a change in movement and other variables. GPS research always show bucks move more in october than september, so that's a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1