Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

I have a community scrape that does check almost daily, even in February.  Hoping to take advantage of this stable south wind this week.  Hoping a buck moves back in and then I can get on him.  I don't trust today's goofy wind: NE/light and variable, so I will just observe and hope to get out when it cools down a touch.  I should look into a deer fridge maybe.

• Like 1

sigh...

vent session.

So I picked the stand I hunted this morning sort of with a coin flip. The wind was right and I didn't want to hunt a plot. I also hadn't been to this stand since early september so it was a bit of a scout hunt to see how the approach trail was holding up and I wanted to put an extra cam I had up as well at another stand along the way.

Well, I have 40 acres that I hunt. It's narrow and most of my stands can be summarized as east side, west side, deep or orchard. All the middle is bedding and I leave it alone. There are 2 or 3 north south runs and too many east west runs to count. But 3 of my stands are at intersections on a main north south run that goes along the west side of the property.

So no cams are popping and it's a quiet morning and then my furthest north west stand pops a doe and one of my target bucks. It's not a great pic but I know he's one of the 3 or 4 wall hangers that are local (and who knows come rut time). I confirm later that he's #2 and would be on almost anyone's wall.

I sigh a little but it's whatever, this happens. About 15 minutes later he pops on a stand south of that. So he's heading south and here I see a real good look and confirm he's one of the big boys. Honestly his body is probably more impressive than his rack. I know he has a choice coming up where the run splits and if he goes east he's coming my way. If he goes west... smaller chance he ends up by the stand I'm in. This is all around 9am. I sit, I wait, the clock ticks and at 10am I have to get down to get back to the office for a call at 11:30. I'm a little bummed but that's hunting right? I climb down and get ready to hike out and the phone buzzes again. I figure it's the wife asking if I'm out but nope, this is another stand further south still and there he is. MOTHER F&*C&!R. He was upwind within 25 yards at all 3 stands. So I picked one of 2 of the 5 "woods" stands where he didn't walk by lol.

Now I can't kick myself too hard as he has not been daylight until today. But I also think, man if I didn't run cams I would have left the woods with a nice sit that was better than work and none the wiser and far less depressed/discouraged than I am now. Of course cams present many positives as well, but heck if this isn't a good reason to not run them haha.

anyone, thanks for letting me vent. And yes I know it's early.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

sigh...
vent session.
So I picked the stand I hunted this morning sort of with a coin flip. The wind was right and I didn't want to hunt a plot. I also hadn't been to this stand since early september so it was a bit of a scout hunt to see how the approach trail was holding up and I wanted to put an extra cam I had up as well at another stand along the way.
Well, I have 40 acres that I hunt. It's narrow and most of my stands can be summarized as east side, west side, deep or orchard. All the middle is bedding and I leave it alone. There are 2 or 3 north south runs and too many east west runs to count. But 3 of my stands are at intersections on a main north south run that goes along the west side of the property.
So no cams are popping and it's a quiet morning and then my furthest north west stand pops a doe and one of my target bucks. It's not a great pic but I know he's one of the 3 or 4 wall hangers that are local (and who knows come rut time). I confirm later that he's #2 and would be on almost anyone's wall.
I sigh a little but it's whatever, this happens. About 15 minutes later he pops on a stand south of that. So he's heading south and here I see a real good look and confirm he's one of the big boys. Honestly his body is probably more impressive than his rack. I know he has a choice coming up where the run splits and if he goes east he's coming my way. If he goes west... smaller chance he ends up by the stand I'm in. This is all around 9am. I sit, I wait, the clock ticks and at 10am I have to get down to get back to the office for a call at 11:30. I'm a little bummed but that's hunting right? I climb down and get ready to hike out and the phone buzzes again. I figure it's the wife asking if I'm out but nope, this is another stand further south still and there he is. MOTHER F&*C&!R. He was upwind within 25 yards at all 3 stands. So I picked one of 2 of the 5 "woods" stands where he didn't walk by lol.
Now I can't kick myself too hard as he has not been daylight until today. But I also think, man if I didn't run cams I would have left the woods with a nice sit that was better than work and none the wiser and far less depressed/discouraged than I am now. Of course cams present many positives as well, but heck if this isn't a good reason to not run them haha.
Shouldn't be discouraged by that at all. You know he's there and where he was today. Go out tomorrow and send it!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

sigh...

vent session.

One of the reasons i dont use many cameras anymore. Currently i have two out but the batteries keep dying so quickly i may just trash them. Its fun to wake up in the am to pictures but it becomes obsessive pretty darn quick. 

• Like 2

sigh...
vent session.

Still better than having little or no shooters around. Now it’s a game of chess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

it is funny that he's on this doe... there's no way she's in heat this early.

Had a buck peeing in a mock scrape I made I could smell it 15ft away the weather has the deer confused ... last 2 years I got 2 good bucks at the end of october and they wer in full rut already ...around here if you wait till mid November for the rut you are missing out 

Edited by silent death

54 minutes ago, Belo said:

Some doe can go in heat a month before or a month after the normal mid November breeding peek. Its a a little rare but mid October isn't out of the question. He may have a good opportunity here.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Belo said:

2 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

Some doe can go in heat a month before or a month after the normal mid November breeding peek. Its a a little rare but mid October isn't out of the question. He may have a good opportunity here.

See..... i will be out hunting in the morn so leave a backstrap under my wiper in the morn after you shoot him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Had a buck peeing in a mock scrape I made I could smell it 15ft away the weather has the deer confused ... last 2 years I got 2 good bucks at the end of october and they wer in full rut already ...around here if you wait till mid November for the rut you are missing out 

yeah aint nobody waiting till mid november. But I haven't even seen chasing yet except for the confused 5 pointer the other night. But for sure next week on, more likely halloween is woods time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

ha , just heard this song at work. and saw him at the erie county fair in concert in August

Legendary song! If I close my eyes tight enough, I can flashback to summer 2002 catching BJ's in the car with this song blasting

• Haha 1

So mad right now, just had two clowns walk under my stand with crossbows. It’s public land and can’t access unless you live here. It was 100% the same guy that stole my cell cam last year. I pointed out it’s not crossbow season yet and he told me he didn’t care. I then said I want my fffing camera back and that I have pictures of him stealing it. That’s when they turned around and left. I know what house they park at and I called my sister in law. She watched them walk out of the woods and into a car. She snapped some pics of the plate. My hunting partner lives down the street and is a LEO in the town.

These two clowns will not be very happy when he gets back to work on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Sad 3