Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

41 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Such a satisfying noise to hear.

I still need to learn the patience of waiting to track my bow kills. Usually ten-fifteen minutes after the shot and I'm on the blood ....

That’s plenty most times if one waits for the better shot opportunities. If I “Thought” I heard a crash… No way am I leaving without taking up the trail for a few yards at the least. Any kind of vermin in the area and it could be toast by now. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Little guys sparing. Not far from the big dude
cc347a53e2b9b826b9490b1af38a675f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been saying since opener light rattling is a good idea.  Gman’s cams been showing for 3 .5 weeks that bucks are sparring. Watched video of 2 lil guys locking up a bit then a nice  8 appears and shoved them around a bit. If there’s a time to gently tickle the rattle bag ( is that an urban dictionary term lol ) imo now’s the time. I’ve got eyes on a tall 8 in a small few acre plot of land . Couple run ins with him . Lightly hit rattle bag on him , got his attention, he peeked , went back to picking red clover outta field , waited 10 minutes and hit grunt tube lightly as he’s 85 yards . Didn't even look my way. Once rut hits big guys on whiff mode. I’m not a good deer hunter by any means just my .02. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

That’s plenty most times if one waits for the better shot opportunities. If I “Thought” I heard a crash… No way am I leaving without taking up the trail for a few yards at the least. Any kind of vermin in the area and it could be toast by now. 

Yeah I'm going to take a peek immediately if I here nothing then a crash. Been bowhunting for 34 yrs and that's a dead give away of a downed deer. 

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Been saying since opener light rattling is a good idea.  Gman’s cams been showing for 3 .5 weeks that bucks are sparring. Watched video of 2 lil guys locking up a bit then a nice  8 appears and shoved them around a bit. If there’s a time to gently tickle the rattle bag ( is that an urban dictionary term lol ) imo now’s the time. I’ve got eyes on a tall 8 in a small few acre plot of land . Couple run ins with him . Lightly hit rattle bag on him , got his attention, he peeked , went back to picking red clover outta field , waited 10 minutes and hit grunt tube lightly as he’s 85 yards . Didn't even look my way. Once rut hits big guys on whiff mode. I’m not a good deer hunter by any means just my .02. 

I forgot my grunt call this weekend, but I have a rattle bag.  I will throw that in my pack and maybe give it a try later this morning.  Last time that I rattled up here, I only fooled another hunter.  The neighbor thought it was a real buck fight, and tried sneaking in on me.

Good thing that he was wearing a bright yellow hat.  When I first seen his tall dark form, coming up out of the swamp, I thought that maybe it was a bear on its back legs. 

Sitting parking lot waiting for Mr bill . Can't wait . Hoping I can walk and not fall down . This will be my test to see it I can get out during hunting season . Doubt I can drag one out but I will have to have someone with me anyway as a just in case my legs don't want to get me up.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Sitting parking lot waiting for Mr bill . Can't wait . Hoping I can walk and not fall down . This will be my test to see it I can get out during hunting season . Doubt I can drag one out but I will have to have someone with me anyway as a just in case my legs don't want to get me up.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Don’t push yourself too hard, but have fun! Awesome that he’s going out with you

Only time I ever rattled one in was on Oct 6th. Think it was 2017. Just tickled them a little and maybe 2 minutes later I see a small tree rocking back and forth from a little 8 pointer rubbing. Came in perfect broadside at 10 yards. Tried it many times since, especially during the rut but it hasn't worked since. Definitely agree with early season rattling

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Up and in close ridge stand out back. 41 and real nice morn. Whatever the heck opened today? Duck or goose bejeeze they all gotta be dead by now! I have heard well over 400 shots so far and a dozen more just while typing this!!

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

Well the shit was better than I thought he didn’t even go 70 yards target buck down

00fb1e2ad6b23ed4a1a5fd9042957b57.jpg
e8ff2cf2344b2eaaf71d4ea8e165b54b.jpg

Congrats on the nice buck.  If I were you, I’d gut it and drop up it off at a processor, who makes good sausage, pepper sticks, and hot-dogs.  

You probably won’t get your own meat back that way, which might work out to your advantage after the overnight full of hot guts. Looks like you got some pretty good poundage there.  You definitely get to keep your cape and antlers however.  That one will make a great shoulder mount. 

Edited by wolc123