Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

By end of October if I don’t have anything killed she’s usually giving me crap asking where her fresh venison is. 

Wow, she must be related.  My wife won’t buy ground beef, because she says that that all the fat that comes out of it, while she is frying it up, grosses her out.  She gets nervous when our supply of ground venison gets low.  

Our kids love tacos.  I thought were finally rid of them, but the oldest got sick of college after a semester and a half, so now I got to get me another deer or two.  I am waiting on one right now in fact.  

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Pro tip- when peeing off your stand make sure your pack isn't below you.....

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Good tip.  I am hunting from the ground today, but just about ready for my third cup of hot cider, so I’ll need to watch where I aim pretty soon.  

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

Wind is getting worse. Probably going to pull the plug before the planned 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same. Saw a few doe a couple hundred yards out in wide open eating but they not going anywhere soon. No bucks. Wind was pretty strong for a while there. It’ll be interesting what it’s like this PM.

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

How is it to carry thru thick cover and can you turn quietly in it to shoot at deer that come in from behind ?

This tree hammock seat is also very comfortable, carry’s easy thru thick stuff, and can be turned silently.  Drawbacks are that it is a bit of a pain to set up and take down, and it catches water from the tree in the rain. 
E86A43C7-4AFB-4266-B121-898FFFEFB6E6.thumb.jpeg.fddfb7b59e678cf7072aa45046cc95bc.jpeg

You can make into a backpack. Or sling it over one shoulder and carry it on your side like a bag.wouldnt be great in real thick cover. It is nice to sit in sturdy quick to set up. 

Find a tree with a slight back lean and you have a recliner and a nap!!

• Like 1

Long tale from yesterday:

Quick am sit yesterday as I got a late offer for yanKees tix(shut up Biz!). 8:15 shot a doe that had 3 fawns in tow. No idea how but shot her back and my arrow passed through but did not fall out. I have a flashing luminock on the arrow which is the only reason I got her. After running off for 30 yards and stopping behind brush I can see the arrow is back. She loops behind me, mouth open and drooling and was at 30 or so in thick crap. Not a shot I would take if it wasn't hit already. Threw another arrow that I thought didn't connect. They all trot off. Wait until about 8:45 to climb down and back out and as I face the tree I see the strobe light about 75 yards away. She and her fawns bed down right there. I climb down, leave climber in tree and take the much longer walk back to car hoping she stays right there until I can come back after giving her 8-10 hours. Go to yankee game, had to leave early to get to my sons football game and then plan to head back around 10.

The guy who runs the program said he wanted to look before full dark. Gave him some directions to the area and he saw the flashing Nock from 100 yards away. She never got up from her first death bed. My second arrow actually broke her front leg which is I'm sure why she couldn't leave that first bed.

2 lessons for me:
- if not for me seeing that flashing nock before I climbed down, I would have bumped (and lost) that deer.
- always throw a second arrow if any opportunity presents
And three- I need to go figure out wtf is wrong with my shot. Should have been a chip shot except it all happened too fast for me to "get right"

Got her home and skinned and cleaned up(not pretty) by 1:15 and Broke her down and in the deer fridge now (after football practice and Mama Crappy's birthday blackstone brunch (some poor pancake flips to boot!)
fef0994c01c0184beb3af7bff4ee228c.jpg
No deer pic worthy of the forum as I just was scrambling

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Chef said:

Well the shit was better than I thought he didn’t even go 70 yards target buck down

00fb1e2ad6b23ed4a1a5fd9042957b57.jpg
e8ff2cf2344b2eaaf71d4ea8e165b54b.jpg

Nice buck! Glad the coyotes didn't get him first. My wife shot a doe yesterday that we had to leave overnight and coyotes beat us to that one. First deer I've ever lost to them...

• Sad 1

Long tale from yesterday:

Quick am sit yesterday as I got a late offer for yanKees tix(shut up Biz!). 8:15 shot a doe that had 3 fawns in tow. No idea how but shot her back and my arrow passed through but did not fall out. I have a flashing luminock on the arrow which is the only reason I got her. After running off for 30 yards and stopping behind brush I can see the arrow is back. She loops behind me, mouth open and drooling and was at 30 or so in thick crap. Not a shot I would take if it wasn't hit already. Threw another arrow that I thought didn't connect. They all trot off. Wait until about 8:45 to climb down and back out and as I face the tree I see the strobe light about 75 yards away. She and her fawns bed down right there. I climb down, leave climber in tree and take the much longer walk back to car hoping she stays right there until I can come back after giving her 8-10 hours. Go to yankee game, had to leave early to get to my sons football game and then plan to head back around 10.

The guy who runs the program said he wanted to look before full dark. Gave him some directions to the area and he saw the flashing Nock from 100 yards away. She never got up from her first death bed. My second arrow actually broke her front leg which is I'm sure why she couldn't leave that first bed.

2 lessons for me:
- if not for me seeing that flashing nock before I climbed down, I would have bumped (and lost) that deer.
- always throw a second arrow if any opportunity presents
And three- I need to go figure out wtf is wrong with my shot. Should have been a chip shot except it all happened too fast for me to "get right"

Got her home and skinned and cleaned up(not pretty) by 1:15 and Broke her down and in the deer fridge now (after football practice and Mama Crappy's birthday blackstone brunch (some poor pancake flips to boot!)
fef0994c01c0184beb3af7bff4ee228c.jpg
No deer pic worthy of the forum as I just was scrambling

I’ve been saying it since 2016, lighted nocks should be mandatory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

20221015_150829.thumb.jpg.8bfb1a6d39815941edebf66d802bd4e3.jpg

In for my first sit of 22. Been so busy at work, home and farm. So to just get out in the peace and quiet is just what I needed!

Top  picture  is front view. Bottom picture is  left view from this blind.

The most buck pictures so far this year have been from here. Almost hoping one doesn't interpret me........

20221015_150837.thumb.jpg.460b0a29ae8d4f4d63ee8fbf57e2716d.jpg

• Like 7