Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Good hunt , 4 bucks , 2 right under me . My young neighbor is hunting with me, his second time ever hunting ! He had a coyote right under his stand and saw the two bucks i let walk , that’s a good morning .

He’s a cop and the guys at work got him into hunting , so I figured I’d impart my vast knowledge and wisdom into him .

• Like 8

Came out at the end of my hunt yesterday afternoon after seeing no deer. Came up over the rise on the way out, and there were at least a dozen deer in the field. Including two shooter bucks. So the plan this afternoon, is to hunt a stand on that field edge that hasn't been hunted in years. May not get a shot, but will hopefully see where those bucks are entering? Light SE wind will be perfect for this spot too.

• Like 3

Just now, grampy said:

Came out at the end of my hunt yesterday afternoon after seeing no deer. Came up over the rise on the way out, and there were at least a dozen deer in the field. Including two shooter bucks. So the plan this afternoon, is to hunt a stand on that field edge that hasn't been hunted in years. May not get a shot, but will hopefully see where those bucks are entering? Light SE wind will be perfect for this spot too.

Good luck making the adjustment!  Be safe in that unused stand.  

7 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Good luck making the adjustment!  Be safe in that unused stand.  

Thanks. I'm now mostly a ground hunter. But we do have quite a few ladderstands scattered around the property. All stands are always checked out in August and September. This one has brand new straps. Just don't use it much. Only good for a S or SE wind. The predominant wind here is NE. So up I go this afternoon!

• Like 5

Nice morning in the box blind with muzzleloader. Doe and fawn paid us a visit. Yesterday our “pet” 4 pt came out as we were leaving. I followed him around talking to him as he fed and rubbed a few trees. It was hysterical. I got to within 10 feet of him. He followed my wife and I all summer. Whether I was brush hogging…running chain saw..or my wife clearing brush. 

9B7862BC-E6C9-4A7D-8FBA-91591CFF6080.jpeg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, BizCT said:

300yds? Are you in a desert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s called a farm , actually they were 350ish it’s 330 to the hedgerow, they were the other side of it .

From this stand I can see with binos about 4500 feet  to the south , but with a crossbow I’m only good to 4000.

3E60898E-5AC2-47F1-8963-6EE401124596.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Been scouting in Stewart the last 2 day for a combined total of 15 hours. I've been searching for rubs and scrapes. In total I came across 4 total rubs and 1 scrape. The scrape has a rub right above it. Setup a cell cam in the area, really really hoping it's an active spot. I feel really really good about it.

Below was the biggest rub and of course I didn't bother to take a photo of the scrape ... :rolleyes:

20221016_142034.thumb.jpg.93ed8d947f200342bc11d230e33f3417.jpg

Below are photos from the cam I setup yesterday afternoon, already had a doe walk by it at 10pm and a small 4 point buck is on it this very moment. I'm gna send my buddy out there tomorrow, early afternoon. Hoping to put him on anything at this point as it will be his first deer ever and, hopefully, with a bow. Seeing action the same night I put out a new camera really gives me the satisfactory feeling of accomplishment. All the reading, studying, aimlessly walking about the woods really pays off for me sometimes. 

a6aaa216-3934-43da-b7d7-0ca6eb66d72d.jpg.566c07a3f9c330a783fac39c6dd25e6c.jpg4588f81b-77df-4337-9251-3bfae0f14f87.jpg.9bb57fa692d30fba3fe173c6f5c985cd.jpg

I decided I am going to try to map out a large section of Stewart forest. Mapping out all the thickets, the openings, the bedding areas I come across, the streams, the feeding hotspots, etc.. I think this could be an invaluable resource to have. 

• Like 3

Well had a big doe come out right in front of my stand at 15 yrds broadside pulled the trigger and the muzzleloader sounded like a cap gun. I don't know if the powder was no good or maybe a defective cap but I don't even think the bullet ever Left the gun. First deer I'd seen on watch this year. Oh well it could have been worse like if it had been a Big 10 pt. Time to go home and see what happened.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Well had a big doe come out right in front of my stand at 15 yrds broadside pulled the trigger and the muzzleloader sounded like a cap gun. I don't know if the powder was no good or maybe a defective cap but I don't even think the bullet ever Left the gun. First deer I'd seen on watch this year. Oh well it could have been worse like if it had been a Big 10 pt. Time to go home and see what happened.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Primer or wet powder.  Next time!