Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Spike came in. I thought it was a doe. Fortunately not a clear shot so I held for a while hoping for it to clear. Then saw the spikes. Got a pass.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boogered 2 deer on my walk out. Don't like educating that many deer. Good thing deer aren't elephants, maybe by next weekend they'll forget.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got out today and was able to get my limit of pheasant. Took me a while to find them, but I limited out with in 10 min once I did. I checked out a tip I was given about a woodcock spot, and put up a woodcock as I was leaving. I gave it a half-harted shot, but I missed. Wasn't really hunting it, just went to look, but now I'm confident in that spot when the migration is on. I was hoping to run into a Turkey, but no such luck there either. Still a great day to get out and watch the dog point a bird

Ill try to get out on last time for birds before making the full switch to deer. Still haven't gotten out for deer yet, but ill be leaving work early on Wednesday to get out in the stand. No its time to focus on deer for a month before switching back to birds.

IMG_7555.PNG

IMG_7549.jpg

• Like 22

7 hours ago, corydd7 said:

In the last hour I watched a fisher then this hawk (that buzzed my head) try to end this red squirrel. Pretty cool. Hawk is on the log 10 yards.

20221016_160955.jpg

Well, I missed! I went into the weekend looking to setup my brother who rarely makes it up to our cabin. He saw deer every sit all doe and didn't take a shot. 

I did and missed from 30 yards with my recurve. Was broadside had a clear shot through some thick stuff but sailed it over a mature does back. I'm happy it was a clean miss. She stomped, walked 10 yards away and continued to eat until slowly walking out of distance. 

In twelve hours of hunting at cabin I've seen more deer then any year already. Finally have a pattern, shooting a doe is no concern now to hope for a mature buck. Was an awesome sit regardless of the miss, lots of animals. 6 doe, 1 buck, 1 fisher, 1 hawk and a badass red squirrel who was the ultimate winner today.

Just got home now I sleep and stack wood tomorrow. Found my arrow in my posted sign.

20221016_183322.jpg

20221016_174911.jpg

Edited by corydd7
  • Like 7

Had football from 8 till 5 yesterday. Oldest made the playoffs but the youngest 2 are done with flag. What a super crisp morning. Wouldn’t trade football with the boys for anything but 2 shooters sparing including target buck #1 at 9am by one stand and another 2 yearling bucks with them.

Phenomenal early daylight sightings is really messing with my head. On a plane now for work so they’ll have to wait till this weekend haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’m up for a couple hours. 

I don't think those little blue pills are designed for hunting. If you haven't checked in after 4 hours, should we call 911?

Good luck to everyone out there this morning. Have to pack the hunting clothes, ML stuff, drop some stuff off at the inlaws, dig out the pups orange vest, and a bunch of other things to get done today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Accuweather got the wind direction right this morning but they missed the velocity.  Forecast said 10 mph sse, and it’s closer to 20.  I doubt the deer will move much in this.  

I think maybe I’ll catch a nap in the tree hammock.  If a deer or bear gets close enough to wake me up I’ll try and shoot it.

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

Yesterday PM was atrocious for us. We went in for a first sit at a place we have had good luck before and know where a buck bedding area is - down to a 20 yard area that has produced repeatedly over the years. We got tight to it, and with corn around the place, we thought the bed might be empty til the corn comes down. I drew straw for the nearby stand. Wind looked a bit slow but doable and in the right direction.

Boy did we make bad decision after bad decision.

I step foot into the woodline, and up stands the target buck from the bed. Right where he should be, right where I knew the bed was, and I was completely wrong about bucks not using it when the corn was up. He does what big bucks do and efficiently got into the corn. I proceed to sit because I cannot make it to another stand without heading direction the buck went. 

Partner is 120 yards North. A doe blows at him. From upwind. Weird. 20 min later...another doe, another scent alert.

I spot a doe bedded in front of me. She gets up with two fawns and bee lines to my partner...and starts blowing. The sun sets in the west and was overpowering the wind, pulling scent opposite of the wind, which was pretty darn low speed at this point and maybe nearly idle. We thought about leaving but with 30 minutes left, we stayed. Four more does ID my partner before we got down.

I can't remember screwing a hunt up this bad in quite a few years. Wasn't much to do but look at that buck as he left. At least the Bills won.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, phade said:

Yesterday PM was atrocious for us. We went in for a first sit at a place we have had good luck before and know where a buck bedding area is - down to a 20 yard area that has produced repeatedly over the years. We got tight to it, and with corn around the place, we thought the bed might be empty til the corn comes down. I drew straw for the nearby stand. Wind looked a bit slow but doable and in the right direction.

Boy did we make bad decision after bad decision.

I step foot into the woodline, and up stands the target buck from the bed. Right where he should be, right where I knew the bed was, and I was completely wrong about bucks not using it when the corn was up. He does what big bucks do and efficiently got into the corn. I proceed to sit because I cannot make it to another stand without heading direction the buck went. 

Partner is 120 yards North. A doe blows at him. From upwind. Weird. 20 min later...another doe, another scent alert.

I spot a doe bedded in front of me. She gets up with two fawns and bee lines to my partner...and starts blowing. The sun sets in the west and was overpowering the wind, pulling scent opposite of the wind, which was pretty darn low speed at this point and maybe nearly idle. We thought about leaving but with 30 minutes left, we stayed. Four more does ID my partner before we got down.

I can't remember screwing a hunt up this bad in quite a few years. Wasn't much to do but look at that buck as he left. At least the Bills won.

Must have been a night for blowing does.  Several blasted me up in the Adirondacks.   I too am thankful that I made it back to the house, for the last 15 minutes of the game, to see the Bills crush the Chiefs.   

This is the Bill’s year.  Think 85 Bears.  They will win out and have a perfect record except for a single fish glitch.  90% humidity and 100 deg field temp are what caused that one.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Couldn't get out for a hunt this weekend but I did get out with the kids to mark and clear an old logging trail that leads to the back side of the property. while we were out, we found 3 rub lines that followed 3 different stone walls. they seem to be walking parallel to them. This was the one that caught our eye. The tree was 6"-8".

I know where I will be sitting for gun season. 20221015_105429.thumb.jpg.b45d1778b55af876b1f5ccc398691f25.jpg

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Must have been a night for blowing does.  Several blasted me up in the Adirondacks.   I too am thankful that I made it back to the house, for the last 15 minutes of the game, to see the Bills crush the Chiefs.   

This is the Bill’s year.  Think 85 Bears.  They will win out and have a perfect record except for a single fish glitch.  90% humidity and 100 deg field temp are what caused that one.  

We should have not been in there. The wind wasn't strong enough to offset the pull of the setting sun. Live and learn. We are going to leave it be for a week and let a few cell cams do their thing. Probably only 1-2 more shots in there before corn comes down and before we go out of state for rutcation.

4 minutes ago, phade said:

We should have not been in there. The wind wasn't strong enough to offset the pull of the setting sun. Live and learn. We are going to leave it be for a week and let a few cell cams do their thing. Probably only 1-2 more shots in there before corn comes down and before we go out of state for rutcation.

Speaking of corn, it’s crazy how fast the deer wiped out mine this year.  I put in less than half of my normal acreage this year, due to high fertilizer and fuel costs, and the neighbors didn’t plant any.  I had high hopes for it, during the Holiday ML season, but I think it’s probably all gone right now.

I do have quite a bit of good heavy cover back there, a decent looking brassica plot (whitetail institute tall tine tubers), and plenty of winter wheat and clover, so hopefully that will be enough to hold some deer around till January 1.   Standing corn is like money in the bank, when it comes to holding deer in late December.   

9A6356A0-AD2E-4C2A-B030-CACE77257060.thumb.jpeg.9ecf9e14e2259ded39ab3f634f153cbe.jpeg

• Like 1

Not if the giants have anything to say about that.. : D

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Catching up after the weekend. Congrats to @Chef and @crappyice and anyone else who connected!

I took my son and the dog out to look for pheasants Saturday morning. Nice morning for a walk, but no birds. In the area that we walked (Hogan's Point section of Braddock's Bay) I only heard a few shots. Surprisingly low compared to past years for the pheasant opener. We saw 5 or 6 other groups working, some with dogs. 

Did his birthday party Saturday afternoon. Then looked at a camper upgrade Sunday morning. If the numbers work, I'd like to seal the deal on that before the end of the week. 

Sunday evening I was up in a tree in a local suburban spot. It was warm enough that I was wearing shorts! Saw 2 doe around 5:30. It was quiet otherwise, and no wind to speak of. I decided to get aggressive. This isn't my normal spot and I wasn't really concerned if they blew out. To be honest, part of me was thinking about yard work (may be one of the last nice days before the weather turns to crap), the BILLS game, and how much room I have in the freezer. Ultimately, those 2 doe were moving through thick stuff about 60 yards out and working their way toward a field. I climbed down, and slowly stalked toward them. I managed to get within 15 yards, but they were on the other side of some thick stuff and never stepped into an opening. Eventually they moved off, and I was home to catch the end of the game. Overall not a bad weekend!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Kicked myself for skipping evening hunt with rain and winds forecast then boom ! Winds , hail and rain. Was nice for a moment. Weeks forecast is soggy. 

I was snug as a bug in a rug out there in this setup, till 30 minutes past sunset.  Didn’t see any deer though. 
6556C500-B83E-4241-80FD-711F21436191.thumb.jpeg.0fa0f7e631645fdc6d36a67bc710b9f6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1