Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I was snug as a bug in a rug out there in this setup, till 30 minutes past sunset.  Didn’t see any deer though. 
6556C500-B83E-4241-80FD-711F21436191.thumb.jpeg.0fa0f7e631645fdc6d36a67bc710b9f6.jpeg

Are you planing on getting camo clothing to match the chair? I tried one of those chairs with the arms about 8 years ago and hated it because the arms got in the way of trying to rotate into a position to get a shot. If I had been able to move into position right, I wouldn't have eaten tag soup that year. That was with a rifle, I didn't like them for archery when I was trying to practice sitting in it.

4 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Can’t imagine having to carry all that into the woods. Waterproof Sitka and get after it. 

It’s not bad at all.  Gun on sling,  on shoulder, umbrella slides into pouch and clips in belt, and chair don’t weigh much over a pound.  Way faster setup than a pop up blind or even my tree hammock chair.  

That said, I would have preferred to have a small 3 legged stool, that clips to my belt, so I could carry the gun without the sling when walking in.  Those stools are not nearly as comfortable as this camp chair, but go thru thick cover when walking, a lot easier.  

I had one of those, but I lost it somewhere.  I think it cost  $ 15 at Aldis a few years ago, the same year they sold the $ 30 pop up blinds.  

2 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Are you planing on getting camo clothing to match the chair? I tried one of those chairs with the arms about 8 years ago and hated it because the arms got in the way of trying to rotate into a position to get a shot. If I had been able to move into position right, I wouldn't have eaten tag soup that year. That was with a rifle, I didn't like them for archery when I was trying to practice sitting in it.

That chair is only good for shooting in one direction, but it is extremely comfortable.  I was sitting in a bright red one, just like it, when I killed my first Adirondack buck (an 8-pointer) back in 2014.  

The spot I hunted tonight was overlooking some grassy browse, which concentrates the deer in one location, so one-way shooting was not an issue.

The chair I used today is a moose-camo pattern.  I am not planning to try and match that, but my bibs and “scent factor” jacket do match that Realtree umbrella pattern.  I did kill a deer already this year (on January 1), from under that umbrella while it was raining, with the same ML that I hunted with today.  

I am probably in violation of the NY state orange hat law by placing it on top of the umbrella, but that beats getting shot by some guy shooting at movement on the next ridge, who can’t see it underneath.  Common sense trumps the law for me, in cases like this, where my life is on the line.  

Tag soup does suck and I do hate not being able to shoot all the way around.  That’s why I love my tree hammock chair, which lets you silently swivel all the way around, just like a turret on a tank.  The problems with it are time-consuming, noisy setup and take down and it is no good in the rain.  

Extreme comfort, ease of carry, and 360 degree shooting more than make up for those faults however.  I killed my last Adirondack buck, in 2016, from my tree hammock chair after he snuck up behind me, and last year’s ML doe (that I killed one year ago tomorrow), required rotating it about 90 degrees.  

41 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That chair is only good for shooting in one direction, but it is extremely comfortable.  I was sitting in a bright red one, just like it, when I killed my first Adirondack buck (an 8-pointer) back in 2014.  

The spot I hunted tonight was overlooking some grassy browse, which concentrates the deer in one location, so one-way shooting was not an issue.

The chair I used today is a moose-camo pattern.  I am not planning to try and match that, but my bibs and “scent factor” jacket do match that Realtree umbrella pattern.  I did kill a deer already this year (on January 1), from under that umbrella while it was raining, with the same ML that I hunted with today.  

I am probably in violation of the NY state orange hat law by placing it on top of the umbrella, but that beats getting shot by some guy shooting at movement on the next ridge, who can’t see it underneath.  Common sense trumps the law for me, in cases like this, where my life is on the line.  

Tag soup does suck and I do hate not being able to shoot all the way around.  That’s why I love my tree hammock chair, which lets you silently swivel all the way around, just like a turret on a tank.  The problems with it are time-consuming, noisy setup and take down and it is no good in the rain.  

Extreme comfort, ease of carry, and 360 degree shooting more than make up for those faults however.  I killed my last Adirondack buck, in 2016, from my tree hammock chair after he snuck up behind me, and last year’s ML doe (that I killed one year ago tomorrow), required rotating it about 90 degrees.  

Never tried it but this type of hammock set up seems nice for a rotated shot.

47 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I killed my last Adirondack buck, in 2016, from my tree hammock chair after he snuck up behind me, and last year’s ML doe (that I killed one year ago tomorrow), required rotating it about 90 degrees.  

By chance do you have a picture of that buck?

:)

• Haha 4

Out scouting again today, setup a new camera around 3pm ..... 6pm rolls around and guess what shows up.

c10d9c08-7d3d-4041-9b3e-1bbe2a97be56.jpg.be5a8ad00024d0993696d9ab3308c823.jpg

Middle left, I think its another buck but not sure. Waiting for an HD Pic and video to be sent to my phone. This is the second day in a row I've seen deer the same day I put out a new camera, feeling a bit like Chuck Adams right now :asciidity:

Have one more camera to put out tomorrow, let's see what happens. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I was snug as a bug in a rug out there in this setup, till 30 minutes past sunset.  Didn’t see any deer though. 
6556C500-B83E-4241-80FD-711F21436191.thumb.jpeg.0fa0f7e631645fdc6d36a67bc710b9f6.jpeg

Always liked those umbrellas when I see them online somewhere. Just have never purchased one yet. Lol

8 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Never tried it but this type of hammock set up seems nice for a rotated shot.

The one that I use has a single telescoping metal front leg, and you strap the back around a tree that can be between about 6” and 30” diameter.  The strap goes around at about shoulder height.  

The one in the video above looks like it would be tough to get around a larger tree, with the strap up that high.  

The plastic clip on the strap on mine broke last year, on one side.  Now I need to make sure to face the broken side down, or the damn thing will let go when I sit in it.

I pile up leaves underneath, to cushion my fall if that happens.  Clearing the leaves under my feet also makes for a silent turn, when deer sneak up from behind.  
31638409-3FEE-42A0-B657-DC99C46E51E3.thumb.jpeg.89a0ead24028f6abcd8048e84ede7238.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Grab one you will love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One thing I don’t like about them, is that it is very loud under it when the rain is falling hard.  I’d have never believed a deer would approach when that was happening, had not one walked almost right under me on New Year’s Day this year. 

Also not the best when the wind is intense and the rain comes in sideways.  

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

One thing I don’t like about them, is that it is very loud under it when the rain is falling hard.  I’d have never believed a deer would approach when that was happening, had not one walked almost right under me on New Year’s Day this year. 

Also not the best when the wind is intense and the rain comes in sideways.  

If it is raining that hard I always believed that the deer aren't  out moving around like they usually do unless it peak rut or a hot doe is in the area. I think we are out there for us more than the deer at that point!!  Lol. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

If it is raining that hard I always believed that the deer aren't  out moving around like they usually do unless it peak rut or a hot doe is in the area. I think we are out there for us more than the deer at that point!!  Lol. 

That’s true, but often that rain stops quickly, and the deer activity picks up immediately, to make up for the lost time.  It’s great being in position when that happens, and that umbrella lets you be there right then. 

That was the case for me on New Year’s Day.  It had been pouring for about my whole second hour in the stand that day.  Fortunately it was clear when I walked in so I could get set up without getting wet.  It let up a little bit towards sunset, and the buck came out for an evening bite of clover.  

It was still raining when he came out, but not pounding on the canvas like a snare drum, as it was 1 minute before he stepped out of the heavy cover, almost right below my stand.  It’s all about being in the right place at the right time.  Why not be dry, warm, and comfortable while you wait ?

Edited by wolc123

It was brisk this morning...hoping to get out and sit for the last 90 minutes this evening.

Yesterday was the single slowest day of cams I've had all season - across a geographic area of about an hour's drive here in NY. Slowest by far. This AM, I saw piles of deer on the drive into work. I think this might be a bigger day for movement.

Good Luck all.

1 hour ago, phade said:

It was brisk this morning...hoping to get out and sit for the last 90 minutes this evening.

Yesterday was the single slowest day of cams I've had all season - across a geographic area of about an hour's drive here in NY. Slowest by far. This AM, I saw piles of deer on the drive into work. I think this might be a bigger day for movement.

Good Luck all.

You're pretty far east? Weather changes probably run behind us a bit.