Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Good luck . I’m sitting out till Friday AM, then it’ll be a few more days till next hunt . Bought a light for my pins ,never knew such things existed , so they’re brighter in low light now , trouble is there’s now two green,two yellow, and two red ones ,and they’re all bigger and blurry …

So if I get lucky and can actually draw the bow, I now have a choice of  three more pins that aren’t really there . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Good luck . I’m sitting out till Friday AM, then it’ll be a few more days till next hunt . Bought a light for my pins ,never knew such things existed , so they’re brighter in low light now , trouble is there’s now two green,two yellow, and two red ones ,and they’re all bigger and blurry …

So if I get lucky and can actually draw the bow, I now have a choice of  three more pins that aren’t really there . 

Larry they make a clarifier peep site with different magnification available.  I had to try several to get the right one but it clears up the pins and I can still see the target pretty good. Best move I ever made! 

• Like 2

Day 5 up here for me.  I had run      ins with multiple unidentified deer on two evening hunts, but no morning action yet.  No deer seen or heard the last two days.  

Right now, I am near an old, long-abandoned camp, in a spot that always gets real heavy deer activity, after there is snow on the ground.  It’s a heck of a lot tougher up here with no snow, but hopefully one will will show up a little early. 
The first three mornings, I sat in the spot where I killed a doe up here last year at this time.  The wind was right for it all three mornings.  I gave it a break yesterday and today, but will probably go back there again tomorrow or Friday.  

There are young hardwoods, up on that end of the ridge, with nut-producing trees that have often held deer at this time of year.  
62D7FCDE-ECBA-4F50-8E4D-C25B9FE073D0.thumb.jpeg.ef03638b93c00961323b2c9b856c9f9c.jpeg

I guess we should be doing deer drives at your place here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Larry they make a clarifier peep site with different magnification available.  I had to try several to get the right one but it clears up the pins and I can still see the target pretty good. Best move I ever made! 

Yep, I’ve heard of them , if I can find a local shop with them ,that  may be something for next week . Can they install them right then and there ?

20 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

First time it rained my clarifier fogged up, immediately took it out when I got home.

Great for target shooting, would never ever hunt with one again.

I know you weren't talking to me, I just wanted to throw my experience out there as it was pretty negative. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Why the orange hat and vest ? Only one is required by law.  Is hunter density high where you are at ?   Yesterday afternoon, I hunted an unfamiliar state forrest across the road, and there were other hunters around, so that would have been a very good idea.  I couldn’t locate any deer sign over there, so I won’t be going back this week.  I might, if I had remembered my orange vest, but I know that I left it home.  

It is highly unlikely that there are any other hunters within 4 miles of where I am right now though, so I feel fine in just the orange hat.  I always take it off and place it on top of my tree umbrella, when it is raining.  No more of that predicted till Thursday, then clear Friday thru Sunday. 

Are you staying thru opening week of rifle ?  I checked out my opening day spot yesterday  morning.  Two years ago, I blew a great chance at a monster buck, because of my damn smartphone, from that spot on opening day.  I’ll be ready for him this year, if he shows up there again.  

If I'm walking around on any public land the orange vest is on . Usually if I'm sitting as well. You hunt private land so you won't have anyone else around. I don't care if there was a law or not, orange is on when I hunt public land. 

Been sitting here for 40 minutes waiting for the rain to stop. Looks like I'm getting wet.

• Like 6

I haven't been out once this fall.

My hunting partner had a knee replacement, so I'm waiting for him to be back in gear. I think it's not fair for me to go hunt the land and stands we both put so much work into without him. He should be good to go by early November.

Also, I got into traditional archery this year. I practice a lot, but still don't feel I'm consistent enough to be ethically hunting yet.

I'll sit archery out this year. 

Waiting for crossbow to open. Maybe that's a good thing, because my land has had no pressure on it yet. 

Til then, I'm happy trout fishing. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

If I'm walking around on any public land the orange vest is on . Usually if I'm sitting as well. You hunt private land so you won't have anyone else around. I don't care if there was a law or not, orange is on when I hunt public land. 

Been sitting here for 40 minutes waiting for the rain to stop. Looks like I'm getting wet.

No rain yet this morning up here on the nw corner of the park. The wind is from the sw and it is predicted 50 % chance all day long.  I brought my tree umbrella and I suppose I will be needing it at some point.

I am back up here on the north end of the ridge where I sat the first (3) mornings, after a (2) day break.  Hopefully a doe will show today, or at least a grouse.  Just today and tomorrow for an antlerless deer, then it’s bucks only with rifle Saturday and Sunday.  

Good luck to you. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The wind is in my face and I’m loaded for bear (and deer).  I just hope that he shows up before 6:41 pm for beach volleyball.  I am watching the trail that he used going back home over the ridge last night:15263C61-BFED-41CA-B0B2-6C5E4865CD3E.thumb.jpeg.477574f1cddfa2f0095c19df1ce80816.jpeg

Hopefully, I can get 240 gr of lead into “the middle of his middle”, then finish him off with my razor sharp Buck 110 if need be.  154522DA-5CAB-4A73-AF5C-277639086D50.thumb.jpeg.f3717b05ee8f6de1621f62c3430c844f.jpeg

175C1588-6BAF-4B62-9C92-65673253D65B.thumb.jpeg.cf7c149e3caaa95f43565f1680822079.jpeg

First thought of the picture with the glove was of a crime scene photo...lol

12 hours ago, heavuser said:

First time it rained my clarifier fogged up, immediately took it out when I got home.

My friend is having the same eye problem, and said the same thing about them . I don’t bow hunt in the rain for the most part . Next year if I’m still bow hunting , I’ll try a single pin,and perhaps a larger one so I can see it better . I never shoot past 20 yards anyways ,  so 30 and 40 yard pins go unused even in practice . 

I can see them if it’s bright out , low light I loose them fast , the light made another whole problem .

• Like 1