Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My friend is having the same eye problem, and said the same thing about them . I don’t bow hunt in the rain for the most part . Next year if I’m still bow hunting , I’ll try a single pin,and perhaps a larger one so I can see it better . I never shoot past 20 yards anyways ,  so 30 and 40 yard pins go unused even in practice . 

I can see them if it’s bright out , low light I loose them fast , the light made another whole problem .

I have a single pin with adjustable brightness. Works great. There is some product to keep lenses from fogging up,I read about it when I had a sight that had a clear lens.

Not sure how well it works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

If I'm walking around on any public land the orange vest is on . Usually if I'm sitting as well. You hunt private land so you won't have anyone else around. I don't care if there was a law or not, orange is on when I hunt public land.

I don't blame you.

If I hunted public land, I'd have bells, whistles, sirens and strobe lights. No way I'd be mistaken for a deer, but I'd probably be shot for scaring every deer in the county, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Merlot said:

First thought of the picture with the glove was of a crime scene photo...lol

No crimes committed yet.  I sat last night, watching where that bear trail led into the swamp, until 1/2 hour past sunset.  At that time, I could still just make out the crosshairs on my old Redfield scope.  No bear or deer showed up though.

If the wind stays blowing from the south, as it had been all week, I am going to try getting up in there 1/2 hour before sunrise tomorrow morning.  It’s real close to my in-laws house. The weather is supposed to be dry and warmer tomorrow and there are a few tasks they want me to help complete, so I won’t stay out long in the morning.  

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

Yep, I’ve heard of them , if I can find a local shop with them ,that  may be something for next week . Can they install them right then and there ?

Larry, I had mine installed at Nick's Archery in Buffalo years ago. I have had it fog up once when I accidentally breathed on it waiting for a buck to give me a shot. Like @heavusersaid they can fog up in the rain but I don't usually hunt in the rain and/ never had a shot in the rain. I  also have  a single pin adjustable site so only 1 pin to get blurry. There's pros and cons to everything, go with what works best for you.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

There is some product to keep lenses from fogging up,I read about it when I had a sight that had a clear lens.

Ya used to dive, we would spit on the inside of the mask, some would rub a potato on it, but there also is a commercial product to,prevent them from fogging . Im leaning towards single pin , all these other add ons come with their own issues .

Back to the woods !

• Like 2

Getting a little bit of on and off rain, up here on the nw corner of the adk park.   No deer, bear , or grouse have showed up yet.  Umbrella and gutting-glove finger condom are deployed.  I’ll probably hang out here on the ridge top until 11:00, then go help my father in law fix a tractor tire chain that fell off yesterday, in his barn.  

Maybe I will do some reading this early afternoon, then go back out for deer, at one of my hot spots close to their house. I brought up a book on Confederate general A.P. Hill.  It’s getting pretty interesting, where I man at now in it, at day 2 of the Gettysburg battle.

7ADA73A0-D222-46CC-B8BD-816F958A00E8.thumb.jpeg.023d8b4ca6b3fd8753dc13caad4c0649.jpeg

BE975CDA-7093-4400-8137-6E58A5EA0060.thumb.jpeg.733946c54bc63c0cea797b22b7ec455b.jpeg

• Like 2

Been out of town for work for a few days and catching up. I'm amazed to still see a 3.5, if not 4.5 show up during shooting hours during the last few days, but the furry of activity I saw over the weekend has for sure slowed. This is what I normally come to expect this time of year, but I've killed some very nice deer in the 20's of October, so excited for a few sits this weekend. Out of town another 2 weeks, including the first week of november which is a little heartbreaking. Maybe I'll score before that and it wont matter.

good luck all. seems like it's been quiet for those who are out, but you just never know!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

Been out of town for work for a few days and catching up. I'm amazed to still see a 3.5, if not 4.5 show up during shooting hours during the last few days, but the furry of activity I saw over the weekend has for sure slowed. This is what I normally come to expect this time of year, but I've killed some very nice deer in the 20's of October, so excited for a few sits this weekend. Out of town another 2 weeks, including the first week of november which is a little heartbreaking. Maybe I'll score before that and it wont matter.

good luck all. seems like it's been quiet for those who are out, but you just never know!

I'm in the same boat, I will be in SLC the first week of Nov. and it's killing me.

I took a slow still hunt, down and around the north end of the ridge.  There is a beaver pond down there, and that’s the last place that my father in law seen any deer.  He saw (3) in the water there about a week and a half ago.  

I kicked one out down there, just getting a glimpse of its white tail up thru the heavy cover, maybe 100 yards away when it bolted off.  It ran to the south.  There are more fresh deer tracks in the volleyball court by the in-laws house this morning, but no more bear tracks.

I helped him get the tire chain back on his tractor, and bungied them all up good. The  sky is clearing, so I’ll probably go out for a little fishing after lunch, then sit for deer and bear until 1/2 hour past dark, in my “rainy day” spot near the house.  (3) more chances at a doe with the ML, tonight, and tomorrow morning and evening, then it’s all bucks and bears with the 30/30’s on Saturday and Sunday.  

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, Belo said:

doesn't mean you don't shoot it if it walks buy. Anything tastes good if you make it into sausage. Plus, think of all that bear grease!

I would love to a shoot a bear NY or CT (if they ever open it). Zero interest the meat regardless of weight. 

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

No crimes committed yet.  I sat last night, watching where that bear trail led into the swamp, until 1/2 hour past sunset.  At that time, I could still just make out the crosshairs on my old Redfield scope.  No bear or deer showed up though.

If the wind stays blowing from the south, as it had been all week, I am going to try getting up in there 1/2 hour before sunrise tomorrow morning.  It’s real close to my in-laws house. The weather is supposed to be dry and warmer tomorrow and there are a few tasks they want me to help complete, so I won’t stay out long in the morning.  

Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

why? have you ever had it? You can get it tested pretty easily as well.

No, but I'm just saying I'd love to shoot a bear locally. Meat from a bear would be an afterthought. I'd want the skull for sure.

Edited by BizCT

4 minutes ago, BizCT said:

No, but I'm just saying I'd love to shoot a bear locally. Meat from a bear would be an afterthought. I'd want the skull for sure.

gotcha. I too am after a nice rug, but wouldn't discount the meat, especially the backstraps unless they tested positive, and yes I know you can cook it out, but I would still pass on that. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

gotcha. I too am after a nice rug, but wouldn't discount the meat, especially the backstraps unless they tested positive, and yes I know you can cook it out, but I would still pass on that. 

I'd probably do a shoulder mount if it had a good dome. Im not a rug fan since they take up so much room.

Edited by BizCT

39 minutes ago, Belo said:

ugh, warming up this weekend. low 60's tomorrow afternoon and 70's saturday. Might be a waste of a PM hunt tomorrow, but going to try it anyhow. Morning in the 40's on saturday should be good.

As you know, it's getting to that time of the year where it doesn't matter that much.  I understand to a degree (no pun intended), but they'll start moving soon.  Might be good this weekend!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

doesn't mean you don't shoot it if it walks buy. Anything tastes good if you make it into sausage. Plus, think of all that bear grease!

It does in my book lol. If I am shooting a bear it will be one of those blueberry bears with blue fat! Bears taste like what they eat and garbage bears taste like garbage. I wouldn't shoot one I wouldn't eat no matter how big.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

As you know, it's getting to that time of the year where it doesn't matter that much.  I understand to a degree (no pun intended), but they'll start moving soon.  Might be good this weekend!

And the pressure front coming looks good. I think Phade pointed that out as well.

why? have you ever had it? You can get it tested pretty easily as well.

The mind over matter thing is too strong for me when it comes to food diseases! I swear I get a headache every time I eat a Hudson Striped bass just because of the "only 1 fish meal a month" warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The mind over matter thing is too strong for me when it comes to food diseases! I swear I get a headache every time I eat a Hudson Striped bass just because of the "only 1 fish meal a month" warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, the sturgeon tasted great

• Haha 2

i am 2.5 hours from being in a stand.  Wind changed a bit so its gonna change my spot unfortunelty.  Was looking forward to hunting one of my stands in particular , but have another to go to where the wind is way better.  
Really......wth. it hasn't rained all day. Dunno if going now. I'm off for the next 5 days so dunno if I want to start this by going after work into a soaking.....hmmm. game time decision in the next hour988ca3cf905f62cdbb16e311100802c9.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk