Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

24 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The mind over matter thing is too strong for me when it comes to food diseases! I swear I get a headache every time I eat a Hudson Striped bass just because of the "only 1 fish meal a month" warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just freeze the meat.  Less than 6" thick requires 5°f for 3 weeks to kill the disease. 

41 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It does in my book lol. If I am shooting a bear it will be one of those blueberry bears with blue fat! Bears taste like what they eat and garbage bears taste like garbage. I wouldn't shoot one I wouldn't eat no matter how big.

but it's very hard to know what a bear has been feeding on. You can't just be like "hey bear! what you been eating?" before dropping the hammer.

I do know what you mean though. But guys who hunt bear in alaska will tell you it's hard to know if they've been eating fresh blueberrier or salmon carcasses. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Really......wth. it hasn't rained all day. Dunno if going now. I'm off for the next 5 days so dunno if I want to start this by going after work into a soaking.....hmmm. game time decision in the next hour988ca3cf905f62cdbb16e311100802c9.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Lake Effect!

Decided to hunt a ground blind today. Perfect wind.  Unfortunately there were 6 does and fawns 60 yrds from the blind.  Had to wait for them to feed through.  That's a apple tree of some kind on the left.  Little apples just a tad bigger than a nickel, but the deer love em.  Not many left.  Might bring the zturn in tomorrow a cut some of the taller grasses down.

IMG_20221020_161222120_HDR.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Nomad said:

Good luck . I’m sitting out till Friday AM, then it’ll be a few more days till next hunt . Bought a light for my pins ,never knew such things existed , so they’re brighter in low light now , trouble is there’s now two green,two yellow, and two red ones ,and they’re all bigger and blurry …

So if I get lucky and can actually draw the bow, I now have a choice of  three more pins that aren’t really there . 

Don’t worry… you’ll leave it on and the battery will die.  Problem solved.  At least that’s what I always do. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

Decided to hunt a ground blind today. Perfect wind.  Unfortunately there were 6 does and fawns 60 yrds from the blind.  Had to wait for them to feed through.  That's a apple tree of some kind on the left.  Little apples just a tad bigger than a nickel, but the deer love em.  Not many left.  Might bring the zturn in tomorrow a cut some of the taller grasses down.

IMG_20221020_161222120_HDR.jpg

Thorn apple?

It feels pretty deery here up in the adk’s, but I have only seen them from this particular spot, when there has been a little snow.  It’s colder tonight, than it’s supposed to be for the rest of the week, so I figured I’d give it one last shot.  

I have seen loads of doe from here, when they are off-limits, on Thanksgiving weekend.  They feed on the grassy browse, on the power line cut, in front of the red posted sign 50 yards out.  

The guy who posts the land beyond the sign lives in Florida but comes back to NY to hunt occasionally.  I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if I tracked one into his land, but I’ll still aim for the shoulder blade if I get a shot at one, so I don’t have to.  

There’s definitely been lots of nocturnal deer (and bear) activity in this area recently.  There were fresh deer tracks in the beach volleyball court sand, 500 yards to my left, again this morning.  Yesterday morning there were also a set of bear tracks.

I stayed out until 1/2 hour past sunset last night, and I could still make out the crosshairs on the old Redfield 2-7 on my ML. The deer didn’t come from the East last night.  I will see if they come from the West tonight.  There is a steady light drizzle, so I have the umbrella up.  
06E046E4-1E5C-430A-8FDE-56A1F674F5DE.thumb.jpeg.5eca25e7dfab94eef098147a7a7766f1.jpeg

I’m in for the last hour - 90 min. Buddy wasn’t hunting so he was going to pick me up here in UTV since I’m on a field edge, hedge row funnel, at the corner of a block of timber. Def going to have deer in field at dark, so…I guess the pressure is on to shoot a target buck. He got stuck on a drive back home and is almost three hours away still. LOL. Otherwise I’ll be blowing this spot up bad getting down and out.

Happy to be out to clear my head. Been a long few days at work. Got headhunted after 15 years and got the formal offer letter and deal done. Was hoping to let my boss know before I left but he headed out early. I get to sit on it overnight. Going to be tough day tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll get a counter inquiry but I’m not going to consider it. It’ll result in me getting a few more days of stand time during rut. Maybe a week more. I’m nervous and I don’t typically get so in work scenarios. Where’s the deer?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Did some more scouting today, rearranged one of my cams and setup my tree stand on that spot in my last post. 
Looks like he is indeed a buck.
c7acae21-fa70-4cac-9478-ee25f4bea86c.thumb.jpg.620f34d5df7da206dbfd53622e168d1b.jpg

Maybe one of you can help me, in the video below you can see he is smelling the air. Do you think he caught my scent from 3ish hours beforehand?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N9pGKhzX69xWypxu5

This was left for me the very next day, I'm assuming its the same buck.
20221018_125524.thumb.jpg.041b730c71377268ab151226c0f3811b.jpg

Stay out of there till you are ready to hunt it

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Don’t worry… you’ll leave it on and the battery will die.  Problem solved.  At least that’s what I always do. 

I did some research and bought a good one lol, but it seems one flaw is bumping it often turns it on . I just dropped my 30,40 yards pins to bottom of the sight to get them out of the way , then staged bow ,pack ,harness and boots in garage . Yep it was on …

47 minutes ago, phade said:

I’m in for the last hour - 90 min. Buddy wasn’t hunting so he was going to pick me up here in UTV since I’m on a field edge, hedge row funnel, at the corner of a block of timber. Def going to have deer in field at dark, so…I guess the pressure is on to shoot a target buck. He got stuck on a drive back home and is almost three hours away still. LOL. Otherwise I’ll be blowing this spot up bad getting down and out.

Happy to be out to clear my head. Been a long few days at work. Got headhunted after 15 years and got the formal offer letter and deal done. Was hoping to let my boss know before I left but he headed out early. I get to sit on it overnight. Going to be tough day tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll get a counter inquiry but I’m not going to consider it. It’ll result in me getting a few more days of stand time during rut. Maybe a week more. I’m nervous and I don’t typically get so in work scenarios. Where’s the deer?

Congrats Phade, getting headhunted must feel really good.  Any good boss knows their best people are subject to leave or get better offers at some point.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Congrats!!!just recently made a switch myself after 10 years in and got the counter offer that would have been nice at $6 more an hr but got tired of the bullshit I put up with,money wasn't buying my happiness.best o luck!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Stay out of there till you are ready to hunt it

100%

He came back the day after that pic was taken.... this time at 9:30pm last night. On my first cam he wasn't showing up until 3:30am which makes sense as my second cam that got him at 6pm was about a half mile away.

He knows ....

I think I found another area he is at, gna put up another camera and see what happens. I'm just glad I've been able to find him repeatedly on different cams.

I've finally got it out of my head that deer go nocturnal. I now believe that is a bunch of false news. You just have to find where their current bed is if you want to see them move during daylight.