Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Anyone use one of these ? First year using it yesterday and it worked great. Rechargeable hand warmer.

Headed out to hunt in about 15. Good luck alld7599d66cbb15c7822a6d98b45735a70.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

yep, bought one last year and liked it so much I got one for my dad for christams. Cool thing too is that you can use them as a backup emergency phone charger if you bring a cable in your pack. A lot less noise, mess and waste than the disposable hand warmers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Lovely, one more thing to charge.  

haha I have a powerstrip dedicated to hunting that I bring out this time a year. I have my boot warmer/dryer, hand warmer, heated socks and heated insoles all plugged in. I don't care what anyone thinks of me, if I'm comfortable, I'm in the woods longer and being in the woods is where one can kill deer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XTB71BR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YC8CVWV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Belo said:

yep, bought one last year and liked it so much I got one for my dad for christams. Cool thing too is that you can use them as a backup emergency phone charger if you bring a cable in your pack. A lot less noise, mess and waste than the disposable hand warmers. 

I've been using these for a few years - there is a BIG difference in these with the exterior material. I bought the ones originally like Rob shows but they are metal sheeting and then plastic edging.

I found a few that are rubberized/coated - where this make a big difference is when they are NOT being used and in your pocket. I found that the metal ones conduct cold through that and you can really feel it if they're off for a while. 

37 minutes ago, grampy said:

Living through you guys while at work. Been awhile since we've had one down on this thread. Make it happen out there!

I'll be out tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, BizCT said:

someone shoot a monster!

6 minutes ago, phade said:

Someone please get one down - this is a slow season here!

I'll be out this evening. Last night I sat in one of my best stand spots and didn't see a single deer, barely a squirrel or two. Super slow evening. 

I've always said it and I stand buy it. The 10th or so through the 20th is the worst week or so of the season. Now people get them during this time and I'd have eaten my own words if I chose different stands, but it's this weekend and on when we should start seeing the boys hit the ground.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BizCT said:

Congrats @phade

More $ & flexibility = more time in the Midwest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, and for sure. Converted present variable/incentive pay opportunity into my base, plus tacked on a 20% incentive on top of that...on the backside, out of pocket costs for benefits went down nearly $600 per month at the family level. Double-dip city. Best part re: comp though is getting away from RSUs / Golden Handcuffs. I feel like that pay strategy was invented by the devil himself. All that said, pay really wasn't the driver. I'm looking forward to feeling valued. Sounds dumb at my career stage, but it's the truth.

I'll be fully loaded on PTO come next season, too. I hate doing it around hunting season, but this threaded the needle like Allen to Diggs/Davis. We'll see how this goes at 10:30. Bittersweet cause the people here are really good people.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

My neighbor is in my best stand , which he found himself this morning !

He just had four unknowns cross beans and into thicket that’s 8 deer for us between 8 and 9:15 . 

we’ll sit as long as he wants , it’s his third hunt ever , and he goes back to work tomorrow night 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, phade said:

Thanks, and for sure. Converted present variable/incentive pay opportunity into my base, plus tacked on a 20% incentive on top of that...on the backside, out of pocket costs for benefits went down nearly $600 per month at the family level. Double-dip city. Best part re: comp though is getting away from RSUs / Golden Handcuffs. I feel like that pay strategy was invented by the devil himself. All that said, pay really wasn't the driver. I'm looking forward to feeling valued. Sounds dumb at my career stage, but it's the truth.

I'll be fully loaded on PTO come next season, too. I hate doing it around hunting season, but this threaded the needle like Allen to Diggs/Davis. We'll see how this goes at 10:30. Bittersweet cause the people here are really good people.

I freaking hate RSU's. I gave up so much when I left and baked a little of that into my signing bonus to account for it, but damn it's sick how they do that.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtTime said:

We definitely hunt the Dacks very differently. I don't hunt any volleyball courts.

20221021_080127.thumb.jpg.236cab8823c35b6c82782aa94aa084ab.jpg

The local girls must have been hosting some out of town teams for the section championships last night or something.  I have never seen as many deer at one time up here,  as the herd that I stumbled into in the dark this morning.  

It could be because I took out the old boss doe last year, who was driving off all the rivals.  I have seen a ratio of 5 does per antlered buck up here thru the last 10 years, so there ought to be a buck or two in the group.  

If the south west wind holds, I am going circle around the back side of the ridge Sunday morning and try and catch one of them on the way out with my 30/30.  I’d probably settle for a good fork horn with that, because I am dying to see how that caliber performs on a deer.  

No more real need to see that with my ML, because I have killed (3) of my last (4) deer with it, including (2) already this year. 

I learned this morning that it’s not really the sand of the volleyball court that the deer are after.  They are stuffing themselves in the tender grass in the meadow that my father in law has been keeping mowed all summer.  I dropped off this little 3-point mower for him last year, and he’s been making good use of it:

36E47E91-0C66-4129-BD40-02B61B8F0D8F.thumb.jpeg.2bfd0b4c7d65c7ea0c4e71798f3c3a39.jpeg

1D123F30-0F38-4A8A-A905-07F7E9EE47C0.thumb.jpeg.d82a62c64be046390e69efc5b575ceac.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Just had the coolest thing happen.. had an otter come out of the swamp across trail and right under my stand. 100 % an otter and not a fisher. Super cool. There is 2 little ponds over here too. Haven't seen one of those in years.

Way cool, Rob....In all of my adventures hunting and fishing all over North America, I have never seen a river otter...

Lots of sea otters in Alaska, which one of my hunting partners dubbed "backward swimming weasels"..Hehehehe..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Nice, but you mean Jimmy G to Christian McCaffrey? the new SB favorites

Way cool, Rob....In all of my adventures hunting and fishing all over North America, I have never seen a river otter...
Lots of sea otters in Alaska, which one of my hunting partners dubbed "backward swimming weasels"..Hehehehe..
I thought Fisher but knew as soon as it was running across the trail it wasn't. Had that awkward hop run and little ears. It def made the day. I saw one cross the road at a culvert about a mile from my house a couple years ago but haven't seen one out in the wild in a long time. Def was neat to see.

• Like 1