Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

An interesting end. So as most know, part of my spot is an orchard. A perk is that I almost always pick an apple to eat on the way in and out in early season. So today I ate most of one and tossed it as I got within about 20 yards of my stand. Now mind you where I tossed this there is a row of apple trees with apples on the ground.

So around 6:20, 2 doe came out downwind of me but not spooked and feed in front of me. They were smaller doe but not fawns. Some guys here would classify them as delicious and shooters, but not for bow for me so they got a pass. The one proceeded to finish off my mostly eaten apple it was funny to watch. Had another doe show up as light was fading too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Belo said:

An interesting end. So as most know, part of my spot is an orchard. A perk is that I almost always pick an apple to eat on the way in and out in early season. So today I ate most of one and tossed it as I got within about 20 yards of my stand. Now mind you where I tossed this there is a row of apple trees with apples on the ground.

So around 6:20, 2 doe came out downwind of me but not spooked and feed in front of me. They were smaller doe but not fawns. Some guys here would classify them as delicious and shooters, but not for bow for me so they got a pass. The one proceeded to finish off my mostly eaten apple it was funny to watch. Had another doe show up as light was fading too.

I shit you not, a few years ago I ate half of my apple and tried to set it on my bag, it fell off and a deer trotted outa the woods and ate it in the pitch black before sunrise. 

• Like 3

Funny story about apples and deer eating them. Stand I was in this evening a few years ago I had a button that wouldn’t leave and I wanted to get down. He was bedded so I chucked my Apple core at him. Hit him in his head and the dang thing proceeded to eat the apple. I can’t throw a baseball accurately to save my life but somehow zinged him. 

Ive heard of deer eating apples or cores from hunters before but it’s pretty funny when it happens for real in front of you. I would think they’d smell you and alert to it but I guess not.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Finishing up these last cpl hrs of work then heading up on the Tug for the northern tier gun opener. Meeting some friends and family up there should be a good time. Temps are warmer than desired but there is enough of us to put on some drives. Good luck to everyone going out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Congratulations!

Is that a CVA Wolf v2? How do you guys like it?

Cva hunter, bought on clearance at dicks probably 5 years ago for under $200. The perfect youth, small frame person gun imo.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

Much warmer already than I thought. Also a little breezier than forecasted, but not the hurricane of last weekend. I guess it’s ok because I dropped my first glove of the year.

Bumped what I think was a single buck in the field it my east and what I think was 2 doe on the West. There’s a few field edge scrapes near my approach and wow. Smelled like some rookie hunter dumped a whole bottle of scrape mate lol. Still seems early for that.

Lone doe just came flying at me. She didn’t wind me or she would have gone the other way, not upwind. Have seen that script so I got up and ready and nothing following, not even a yote. Another week or 2 and there’s been a longer pursuit I think lol.

Good 8 is out making the rounds. Might be just a morning move with rising temps coming. Perhaps the decreasing daylight will continue to drive the rut in spite of the higher temps. We shall see but mornings are improving. 

DDA75972-99DF-4374-BC35-5606158DEB71.png

B14DFD17-D558-49BD-BADF-C31C793F8BA0.png

• Like 6

10 hours ago, phade said:

Funny story about apples and deer eating them. Stand I was in this evening a few years ago I had a button that wouldn’t leave and I wanted to get down. He was bedded so I chucked my Apple core at him. Hit him in his head and the dang thing proceeded to eat the apple. I can’t throw a baseball accurately to save my life but somehow zinged him. 

Ive heard of deer eating apples or cores from hunters before but it’s pretty funny when it happens for real in front of you. I would think they’d smell you and alert to it but I guess not.

Hope you named that button buck Sir Isaac Newton! :rofl:

Friend saw two decent bucks sparring in 1C last night.  May be time to try rattling.