Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

Nice fat doe 20 yards broadside… couldn’t do it. She had a bb and doe dawn with her. Just looked so happy grooming them and stuff lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect this but I've passed 3x this year with the same situation. Now I would like to make meat.  No more passes on my end.  She's going to leave them very shortly anyway.

• Like 1

I respect this but I've passed 3x this year with the same situation. Now I would like to make meat.  No more passes on my end.  She's going to leave them very shortly anyway.
My buddy in the stand just passed a doe with 2 fawns. I told him I get it but I'm gonna start sending it soon myself.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My buddy in the stand just passed a doe with 2 fawns. I told him I get it but I'm gonna start sending it soon myself.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm going to miss all next weekend so time is flying by.  I won't take a small buck yet but I'm really looking for a doe.

• Like 1

Had a doe and two fawns run in to me from my downwind side. Came in hot lol. She was not very big so did not try to move on her. She's buck bait right now. If she was a bit fatter I'd of made orphans no problem.
Only 1 adult doe here is safe and that's my triplet machine. Trips 3 outa last 4 years! If she busts and blows at me again that deal may be off too lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll settle for a good Adirondack fork-horn today, just to see how the 30/30 performs on a deer:

972ED981-D7A2-4190-BC97-E4DD1C643B29.thumb.jpeg.4eb5df0dca4f92b8ab4bb082820f3dcf.jpeg

I am right in the very spot where the largest Adirondack buck that I ever saw caught me  by surprise, 15 yards away, 2 years ago to the day.  I am also 50 yards from where I killed my last buck up here on Thanksgiving weekend of 2016.  

There was snow then, which is almost like cheating up here.  I killed a few bucks up here in the snow, but I blew my only snowless chance (2) years ago, in this very spot.  I am 50 yards from an intersection where 2 main deer trails come together.  I killed the 1.5 yr 6-point right at that intersection in 2016.  The big boy, in 2020, took the less traveled side cut, up the ravine, that I am watching down now.  

I’ll give forky till 11:00 to show up here, then off for lunch and a little more smallmouth bass fishing, before I come back up here for the evening sit.  Nothing but loads of red squirrels so far this morning. 

• Like 1

Nice fat doe 20 yards broadside… couldn’t do it. She had a bb and doe dawn with her. Just looked so happy grooming them and stuff lol

I did the same last week. After watching the doe clean one fawns face for 10 minutes I decided I wasn't going to break them up. Maybe I'm just getting softer...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think mistakes happen when your hearts not in it. And for the next 3 or so weeks she’s better bait than any food source.

But I wouldn’t fault anyone who didn’t pass. I’ve regretted passing sure freezer fillers in years past. You just never know.

• Like 1

Went out for birds this morning and came back empty handed. Dog tracked one for 60 yards and then slammed on a beautiful point. The hen was 30 yards away when I went in to flush it, but I only winged it. Dog tried hard to find it in the woods, but she couldnt. She either found it and didnt want to retrieve, or just plain old lost the scent. She doesn't like retrieving male pheasant because they spur her, but the hens are fine

She pointed one more in the woods, but crept too much and busted the bird while I was still 60 yards out. Never saw it, but heard the rooster cackle as it flew. She pointed a couple other times, but the birds must have ran on her.

Cant wait to get out for deer though. Weather is kind of crappy the next week or so, but ill be taking a couple days off around the first weekend of November to Focus on deer. First time I've ever waited so long to get out in the woods for deer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I’ll settle for a good Adirondack fork-horn today, just to see how the 30/30 performs on a deer:

972ED981-D7A2-4190-BC97-E4DD1C643B29.thumb.jpeg.4eb5df0dca4f92b8ab4bb082820f3dcf.jpeg

I am right in the very spot where the largest Adirondack buck that I ever saw caught me  by surprise, 15 yards away, 2 years ago to the day.  I am also 50 yards from where I killed my last buck up here on Thanksgiving weekend of 2016.  

There was snow then, which is almost like cheating up here.  I killed a few bucks up here in the snow, but I blew my only snowless chance (2) years ago, in this very spot.  I am 50 yards from an intersection where 2 main deer trails come together.  I killed the 1.5 yr 6-point right at that intersection in 2016.  The big boy, in 2020, took the less traveled side cut, up the ravine, that I am watching down now.  

I’ll give forky till 11:00 to show up here, then off for lunch and a little more smallmouth bass fishing, before I come back up here for the evening sit.  Nothing but loads of red squirrels so far this morning. 

How the 30 30 performs on deer? That round has probably killed more deer then all other rounds combined. It's the perfect whitetail round.

• Like 6

Had some work to do up here at the farm, and moved a cell cam. Will head up in the back in a bit to sit till almost dark. A spot from the ground where I can see a good ways. Not expecting a shot. But ya just never know? I killed a bow buck here a few years ago.

• Like 6

4 bucks this morning at from 8:15 to 10:15 all 60 yards downwind ,3 moving S-N , 1 N-S .couple decent 8s together, one was pretty fat I’d shot him so I can take a 3 1/2 weeks break till gun . Getting up at 5AM a couple times a week is getting old.

Raked a path on way out , this one is a a good 150 yard walk through woods with lots of sticks .

i think I’m at 15 buck and zero doe this year , the zero doe I’m positive of . Buck has an error of plus or minus a couple . Next hunt maybe Friday . 

68CC1473-3F2C-4EE2-B600-79076A67C4DA.jpeg

ED133C6C-07F6-470B-B80F-513D768C1CCF.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

How the 30 30 performs on deer? That round has probably killed more deer then all other rounds combined. It's the perfect whitetail round.

I heard that, which is why I use it, but I never got to butcher one that was by killed with it.  I have killed (3) with my 30/06 and butchered them, but I am still waiting (impatiently) for the first shot at one with a 30/30.

Each buck with my 30/06 was DRT and the meat damage was reasonable (2 NY white tails and a CO mule deer).  My scoped Ruger M77 30/06  is simply too big and heavy to lug around comfortably in the terrain that I hunt up here.  The 30/30 scoped Marlin 336, and fiber-optic sighted 336BL, that I use now, carry much better up here.