Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Confession time. Other day at about 8 am had nice doe at 35 in thick stuff behind me. 10 minutes later she had circled to 25 in front of me. I tweened my 20 n 30 yard pin. Did everything routine wise and sent it. Ever so slightly quartering away but dang near broadside. Her head facing away . Never saw nocturnal light up. She scoot simply as if she was quickly scared. No haunch , no kick. Just ran off and lost sight of her in 25 yards. Waited 30 minutes or so and climbed down to retrieve arrow. Couldn’t find it and guessing it snaked under all the leaves. Found few good splashes of bright red blood , then only drips here and there , one decent clot like puddle , no bubbles . Found first small bed and dark coagulated blood. Then only a couple drops of watery blood. Then nothing. Grid searched for blood and her for a few more hours. Was a good wind and leaves kept flipping over and finding flood became impossible. Nothing. Upon texting a couple members on here pics we believe it was a superficial hit. I’ve only killed 2 deer with bow in 4 years of archery and both went 40-50 and crashed in sight. Have lost a great buck with slug gun years back and a big doe with ml. I know nobody’s perfect but man did I get a gut wrenching feeling from that day til now. Have a cam over there and hope to get her on it. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Confession time. Other day at about 8 am had nice doe at 35 in thick stuff behind me. 10 minutes later she had circled to 25 in front of me. I tweened my 20 n 30 yard pin. Did everything routine wise and sent it. Ever so slightly quartering away but dang near broadside. Her head facing away . Never saw nocturnal light up. She scoot simply as if she was quickly scared. No haunch , no kick. Just ran off and lost sight of her in 25 yards. Waited 30 minutes or so and climbed down to retrieve arrow. Couldn’t find it and guessing it snaked under all the leaves. Found few good splashes of bright red blood , then only drips here and there , one decent clot like puddle , no bubbles . Found first small bed and dark coagulated blood. Then only a couple drops of watery blood. Then nothing. Grid searched for blood and her for a few more hours. Was a good wind and leaves kept flipping over and finding flood became impossible. Nothing. Upon texting a couple members on here pics we believe it was a superficial hit. I’ve only killed 2 deer with bow in 4 years of archery and both went 40-50 and crashed in sight. Have lost a great buck with slug gun years back and a big doe with ml. I know nobody’s perfect but man did I get a gut wrenching feeling from that day til now. Have a cam over there and hope to get her on it. 

It is Sunday……..

Who knows what happened.  Sometimes I think I’m shooting with my eyes closed.  :)

Pick a spot and follow through!

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Refresh my memory, what are the Hunter Orange requirements these days?

Is a hat enough?  (I’m not trying to bust balls)

Hat or vest. I usually wear both but yesterday and today it was just a hat. Today is the ball cap because I'm facing east and it helps keep the sun out of my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Confession heard. Say 15 Fred Bears and get back out there.

Sucks , it happens to all long time hunters at some point. I always think these animals don't pass with their families next to them . Most pass from freezing or starvation or injury. It's part of it. And they are tough. If superficial she will prob be fine

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Had a good morning in the turkey wood.  Birds were sighted evening before. So we set out at 630 am and  had a good idea where they roosted. 

Got in under them kicking a few out as we set up. 

At dawn they lit up. Calls from all around. Fly down and 2 qick shots and 2 birds down. A few min later a 3rd shot missed  by the young hunter on his 1st fall hunt.

We reset after one hunter left and called about for an hour have 3 birds slip in unnoticed by young hunter  finally  it worked out and bird came in  where he was looking . And he connected on a young jake.

Forgot to get my pic till i got back to barn  but couple nice ones  in woods.

20221023_091202.thumb.jpg.4830194656001348cd00cb3ee1a12352.jpg20221023_083034.thumb.jpg.99e99b05ae4f7668c9a9e4cec6b621a8.jpg20221023_095633.thumb.jpg.f9e7359e7de15bd7dbb619188f87c8d1.jpg20221023_074514.thumb.jpg.cf61b261e30fee64c5f2e899b9ed1ff7.jpg

20221023_091202.jpg

• Like 35