Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

I used to try to pin it down but I started to feel it happens at the same time every year.
being on this forum for a few years helped me with this thought. If you look historically the ny harvests thread seems to be most active november 5-15, with most of them 7-11. So I no longer see a better time. I have however seen breeding behavior from 10/25 til January, and sometimes  the weather influences the sightings durring rut but I don't see it later or earlier anymore. Dec 1-5 can be pretty interesting also in low presure areas.

I agree. I’m a believer in the daylight theory. But the chase phase starting around Halloween is fun. Hunting food early is also fun.

Seeing only doe and very small bucks in this heat doesn’t surprise me at all. Most hunters would do better to maybe give the woods a break. However if your time is limited, do what you need to do.

I will traveling for the 2nd of 3 weeks in a row this week and that helps me stay away a little, but man missing 4 days the first week of November will be tough.

Late October has been good to me as well the last few years but only on cooler days or early morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Broadly speaking of course- If you’re talking 3 weeks. I meant the peak few days of mayhem chasing that sometimes occurs in gun season. 19th is a late opener. Not a 15th year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If a hot doe is in your area you will experience that but peak breeding is the same few days every year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Did you carry a saw on your car?

Ax, machete,shovel,  floor Jack , Jack stands , rope ,flares .ems stuff including tourniquets, spare magazines, tow straps , I honestly can’t list it all . 

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I agree. I’m a believer in the daylight theory. But the chase phase starting around Halloween is fun. Hunting food early is also fun.

Seeing only doe and very small bucks in this heat doesn’t surprise me at all. Most hunters would do better to maybe give the woods a break. However if your time is limited, do what you need to do.

I will traveling for the 2nd of 3 weeks in a row this week and that helps me stay away a little, but man missing 4 days the first week of November will be tough.

Late October has been good to me as well the last few years but only on cooler days or early morning.

Exactly why I don’t hit the woods until Halloween. Not interested in the little guys and not showing any cards to the ladies in the woods tips the game for the biggest in the area in my favor. All depends on a persons desires I guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Playboy magazines? You ARE prepared!

Do they still publish those  ??  I still remember the ones I had hidden under my mattress when I was 14...The ones that had the pages all stuck together...

I think the difference from year to year isn’t the time, it’s if it’s a long slower rut or am intense quick one. That’s the variable I see. Both have benefits.

I feel like I see more bucks on their feet around Halloween, which usually coincides with daylight savings.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Do they still publish those  ??  I still remember the ones I had hidden under my mattress when I was 14...The ones that had the pages all stuck together...

Playboy Magazine "Entertainment For Men"............and boys.   Damn straight!!

Shot a doe this morning.  30 yards. Slightly quartering.  Shot looked, sounded good. Waited 25 minutes and got down. Couldn't find blood right away, but I saw where she left the overgrown pasture and went into the woods. Headed that way and it sounded like a herd of deer took off.  I was confident in the shot.  Found fantastic blood in the woods.  40 yards later I found a huge pool of blood and then a bloody bed.  I didn't think I had kicked her up, but thought I chose to play it safe and backed out.  My buddy came over to hang out and catch up.  We went back in an hour and a half later.  Blood trail was sparse, but pretty easy to follow.

Coyotes beat me to her.  Tore up both hind quarters, ate the liver and tore the stomach apart.  I think backing out was the smart move, but it may have cost me the deer in the end.  She ran another 100+ yards, more or less dead on her feet and dropped.  No sign of a struggle.  Entrance was 5" behind the shoulder and half way up.  Exit was lower and 3 or 4 ribs from the back of the ribcage.  Mad I lost the deer, but can't really say what I should have done differently.  Ravens were having a field day carrying away meat and fat.

Between work and weather I probably won't get out until next weekend. I have permission on 120 acres in that area, but I won't hunt it with a bow again.  

Congrats to everyone who scored.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Shot a doe this morning.  30 yards. Slightly quartering.  Shot looked, sounded good. Waited 25 minutes and got down. Couldn't find blood right away, but I saw where she left the overgrown pasture and went into the woods. Headed that way and it sounded like a herd of deer took off.  I was confident in the shot.  Found fantastic blood in the woods.  40 yards later I found a huge pool of blood and then a bloody bed.  I didn't think I had kicked her up, but thought I chose to play it safe and backed out.  My buddy came over to hang out and catch up.  We went back in an hour and a half later.  Blood trail was sparse, but pretty easy to follow.

Coyotes beat me to her.  Tore up both hind quarters, ate the liver and tore the stomach apart.  I think backing out was the smart move, but it may have cost me the deer in the end.  She ran another 100+ yards, more or less dead on her feet and dropped.  No sign of a struggle.  Entrance was 5" behind the shoulder and half way up.  Exit was lower and 3 or 4 ribs from the back of the ribcage.  Mad I lost the deer, but can't really say what I should have done differently.  Ravens were having a field day carrying away meat and fat.

Between work and weather I probably won't get out until next weekend. I have permission on 120 acres in that area, but I won't hunt it with a bow again.  

Tough deal....

Playboy Magazine "Entertainment For Men"............and boys.   Damn straight!!

Playboy was always just meh. Spice ch 97 on the illegal black boxes was better. Especially when it was came in clear

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

End of the week looks good. 70 Wednesday and then the next 2 days is 55 for a high with  mornings in the 30&40s.  I’ll be on the ridge I was last year when I killed my bow buck. Hoping that big 7 sticks to his routine from last year and comes by around 10am or one of his counter parts.  Will only change my plan if cameras start showing day time activity in those spots. 

40 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Playboy was always just meh. Spice ch 97 on the illegal black boxes was better. Especially when it was came in clear

It never came in clear. Had to time jumping on a trampoline just right and it was perfectly unscrambled 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

End of the week looks good. 70 Wednesday and then the next 2 days is 55 for a high with  mornings in the 30&40s.  I’ll be on the ridge I was last year when I killed my bow buck. Hoping that big 7 sticks to his routine from last year and comes by around 10am or one of his counter parts.  Will only change my plan if cameras start showing day time activity in those spots. 

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Sometimes, even when you do everything right, it all goes wrong. It happens to us all if you hunt long enough. Tough deal on this one for you. Wish you better luck next time out. And for the rest of the season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last post was 9hrs ago... 

Anyone out this morning?  

This warm weather definitely has lessened my enthusiasm.  Supposed to have higher than normal temperature for the next 10 days. Highs in the low to mid 60s, and most nights in the 50s.  

10 hours ago, BizCT said:

Such an accurate generational statement.

• Thanks 1