Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

10 minutes ago, mowin said:

Last post was 9hrs ago... 

Anyone out this morning?  

This warm weather definitely has lessened my enthusiasm.  Supposed to have higher than normal temperature for the next 10 days. Highs in the low to mid 60s, and most nights in the 50s.  

Still need to get out IMO or make moves that prep you for the weeks ahead. We hunted Friday and Saturday PM and Sunday AM. Sunday PM we set a new stand and re-positioned and cleaned up a few after hunting there that AM. We noticed alot of fresh sign in a specific shaded area which makes sense.

Had a good 2 yr old up on his feet at 10 yards Saturday PM. A good 3 year old 80 yards away at 7:45 AM Sunday. Plus more turkey than I wanted to see lol. My partner had alot of does around him this weekend but no bucks - hunting only a short distance away. I think in PMs you really need to be close to bedding and shady or low lying spots, which is not easy. Or, use this time to observe from afar - maybe low/no chance of scoring but at least you are getting intel.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mowin said:

Last post was 9hrs ago... 

Anyone out this morning?  

This warm weather definitely has lessened my enthusiasm.  Supposed to have higher than normal temperature for the next 10 days. Highs in the low to mid 60s, and most nights in the 50s.  

Thur/Fri/Sat look pretty good here. mid 50s, lows in upper 30s, high pressure and sun. I expect that will break some real action loose. It warms up on back end for early Nov. Seems to happen every year - those first few days of Nov are indeed above avg/warm.

Edited by phade

17 hours ago, rob-c said:

As others have said it’s the same time every year , But the biggest driver of the rut intensity is the weather. If the cool day time temps come back we should see good activity . 

I think you see it more when it's cool, I think it happens in smaller areas when it's hot but on the same days imo.

2 hours ago, phade said:

Still need to get out IMO or make moves that prep you for the weeks ahead. We hunted Friday and Saturday PM and Sunday AM. Sunday PM we set a new stand and re-positioned and cleaned up a few after hunting there that AM. We noticed alot of fresh sign in a specific shaded area which makes sense.

Had a good 2 yr old up on his feet at 10 yards Saturday PM. A good 3 year old 80 yards away at 7:45 AM Sunday. Plus more turkey than I wanted to see lol. My partner had alot of does around him this weekend but no bucks - hunting only a short distance away. I think in PMs you really need to be close to bedding and shady or low lying spots, which is not easy. Or, use this time to observe from afar - maybe low/no chance of scoring but at least you are getting intel.

Oh I agree. 

They are going to rut regardless of the temps. Happens every year within a day or two. I've got several spots that are pushing the comfort zone as far as being close to or in the fringe of bedding areas. Haven't touched those yet. This weekend on we'll see the activity increase.  Just hate swatting mosquitos while deer hunting, lol

17 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I think you see it more when it's cool, I think it happens in smaller areas when it's hot but on the same days imo.

Right , if its cool during the day we will see more activity during the day. Where’s if it’s higher than normal temps the deer tend to be more active at night . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marion said:

Went out Saturday afternoon. Saw zero deer on whole property. However did see a cottontail in the hardwoods when I was in my stand so that was a first. Hoping to get back out Saturday again

welcome back!

• Like 1

Light rain is supposed to stop, but I decided to go in the ground blind.  Walked over the hill and there is 8 doe and fawn already feeding.  The gardener was running around with the gator, so I flagged him down and had him run me to the blind. Deer are so used to the gator that they didn't even leave the field. 

• Like 6

They say insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Well I'm back in roadkill stand for another afternoon.

Going here cause it's low impact on the land for spooking deer and a good early season doe spot. And in 70 degree weather not getting sweated up getting there.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

20 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Shot a doe this morning.  30 yards. Slightly quartering.  Shot looked, sounded good. Waited 25 minutes and got down. Couldn't find blood right away, but I saw where she left the overgrown pasture and went into the woods. Headed that way and it sounded like a herd of deer took off.  I was confident in the shot.  Found fantastic blood in the woods.  40 yards later I found a huge pool of blood and then a bloody bed.  I didn't think I had kicked her up, but thought I chose to play it safe and backed out.  My buddy came over to hang out and catch up.  We went back in an hour and a half later.  Blood trail was sparse, but pretty easy to follow.

Coyotes beat me to her.  Tore up both hind quarters, ate the liver and tore the stomach apart.  I think backing out was the smart move, but it may have cost me the deer in the end.  She ran another 100+ yards, more or less dead on her feet and dropped.  No sign of a struggle.  Entrance was 5" behind the shoulder and half way up.  Exit was lower and 3 or 4 ribs from the back of the ribcage.  Mad I lost the deer, but can't really say what I should have done differently.  Ravens were having a field day carrying away meat and fat.

Between work and weather I probably won't get out until next weekend. I have permission on 120 acres in that area, but I won't hunt it with a bow again.  

Congrats to everyone who scored.  

you lost a deer to yotes in 90 minutes? Holy shit man... that sucks. Sounds like you need to call a trapper...

Sweating sitting in a tree
Wondering when a bear i will see?
Squirrels, rabbits , grouse stroll by
But is a bear i want to spy with my eye.
The leaves have all fallen
Noise is all they can make
When footfalls crush them
And rustling at the winds fate
But all is silent in the woods
Making any noise wouldn't be good
Only a chickadee chirps out its name
Then another answers with the same
Perhaps they are just laughing at me
Me Sweating ...Sitting in a tree ...

• Like 10

6 hours ago, mowin said:

Oh I agree. 

They are going to rut regardless of the temps. Happens every year within a day or two. I've got several spots that are pushing the comfort zone as far as being close to or in the fringe of bedding areas. Haven't touched those yet. This weekend on we'll see the activity increase.  Just hate swatting mosquitos while deer hunting, lol

sure but think about physical activity in the summer. They will rut more at night if it's hot out too. 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

sure but think about physical activity in the summer. They will rut more at night if it's hot out too. 

There's no rut in the summer.  But I do agree, somewhat. 

A doe can't shut things off and wait a couple days because it's warm out. She going to be pestered and chased. 

It's more about me not liking hunting in warmer weather this time of year, then about wether or not the bucks will be moving, because they will, regardless of the warmer temps.