Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

It's late.... would've posted earlier but I had to hurry up and get her in the deer fridge. Yearling doe. I thought it was a fawn but nope. Just a runt. Rage heads still work fine. Big cut when they go in at an angle. That was the exit. Had to really make sure it wasn't a button buck.
20221025_183700.jpg20221025_185240.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 40

52* when the alarm went off. 71* for a high today. No, thanks. Might head out to swap a sim card, but that's about it. Tomorrow back in the low 50's for a high and far more like hunting weather.

Good luck to anyone going out, don't forget the little battery operated electric fan.

9 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

52* when the alarm went off. 71* for a high today. No, thanks. Might head out to swap a sim card, but that's about it. Tomorrow back in the low 50's for a high and far more like hunting weather.

Good luck to anyone going out, don't forget the little battery operated electric fan.

Oh stop ,Just go hunt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

It's late.... would've posted earlier but I had to hurry up and get her in the deer fridge. Yearling doe. I thought it was a fawn but nope. Just a runt. Rage heads still work fine. Big cut when they go in at an angle. That was the exit. Had to really make sure it wasn't a button buck.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Holy helical  ....

Nice deer!

Edited by heavuser

Congrats on the doe! My son is in for a morning sit up on hill behind house. Cloudy and mild. Glad I took off three weeks in November lol. Good luck to those out today. I’ll sit in up a tree this afternoon. First sit this year. Saw a fisher cross in front of car last night . Really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well that was an exciting hunt.  I saw this buck in a cut cornfield about 250 yards away.  I made a move, guessed right, got set up and ended up passing on a quartering-to shot through some brush.  He made it to this field and was headed away.  I turned him around with some calling, he came back towards me, but stayed just out of range and then slowly worked away from me.  He’s not the biggest one around but now I have a bit of a grudge. Definitely had my blood pumping.

Edit:  This was the third buck I saw on it's feet between 7 and 8AM... apparently no one told them they shouldn't be moving in warm weather.   

1092FDD3-4DE8-4565-AA9A-767EF373B07D.png

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, heavuser said:

Holy helical  ....

Nice deer!

not going to stuff the freezer but she'll be delicious and the farmer wants the deer gone. Max helical on all my arrows for years now. They don't drop off enough trajectory wise at distance to cause concern. I even shot that same max helical and won in a 3D league/championship that was unmarked out to 80+ yards and they did fine. They spin hard and fly like they're guided missiles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Nice John ! 
Sometimes for me it’s the hunt that decides if I shoot not the antlers .

Passing on deer builds character!  And I agree, today was fun whether I shot him or not.  And now I can still target bucks for the next 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Otto said:

John sounds like an awesome hunt, and "from the ground" excitement!  Good for you for passing on that shot, he will be back with his big brother! 

I had enough of the from the ground excitement.  We don't have a stand on the travel route he took... but Ill be up there tonight in my climber.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BizCT said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. How many times do we all hunt and see nice bucks and they aren’t on camera that particular day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sure plenty of deer not in camera range. But with 7 cams out covering major runs and food sources, you can get a general feel. I by no means meant to imply there was zero activity, just not what I saw early in the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Well that was an exciting hunt.  I saw this buck in a cut cornfield about 250 yards away.  I made a move, guessed right, got set up and ended up passing on a quartering-to shot through some brush.  He made it to this field and was headed away.  I turned him around with some calling, he came back towards me, but stayed just out of range and then slowly worked away from me.  He’s not the biggest one around but now I have a bit of a grudge. Definitely had my blood pumping.

Edit:  This was the third buck I saw on it's feet between 7 and 8AM... apparently no one told them they shouldn't be moving in warm weather.   

1092FDD3-4DE8-4565-AA9A-767EF373B07D.png

the first 90 minutes of a morning on warm weeks is always still good hunting. 

• Like 1

I guess my point is that 70’s are summer like weather and they’re not going to be as active in the heat. When I lived down south I would run at dusk to avoid the heat. Deer will breed at night to do the same.

Guy in PA did a study with 150 trail cameras.. 2 years ago it was really warm early Nov and there was hardly any movement. Soon as a cooler day came, boom daytime movement.

Ive taken the last week off strictly because of the high temps.. tomorrow is going to be 18 degrees cooler than today, I will be in 6K with my rifle and a doe tag in my pocket.

• Like 2

A "crisp" 71 degree afternoon sit in 3S management property. Somebody didn't like that I cleared a little scrape and pissed on a pretty active run - it's all tore it up right now and I haven't been here in weeks.
No cameras allowed so I've sent the prints to Biz for age and rack analysis.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

A "crisp" 71 degree afternoon sit in 3S management property. Somebody didn't like that I cleared a little scrape and pissed on a pretty active run - it's all tore it up right now and I haven't been here in weeks.
No cameras allowed so I've sent the prints to Biz for age and rack analysis.

Biz Piss works again! Shoot a monster! Ideally, a 5.5 year old 6pt with no brows. 87" gross P&Y, 84" NET

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 1

First sit of year , have my compound feels good. Weather is crazy 70 cloudy then rain then sun n repeat. I shot a nice 8 pt with my xbow here in 2020 . It was 73 that day. So right place right time. My son in stand overlooking a large pasture. So good luck to all out.

• Like 2

Laying low until tomorrow when this rain passes. Going to put together a stand for a new 20 acres a buddy and I were just granted permission to hunt. He is new to hunting so this is huge for him. He is going to put boots on the ground Fri after work....hang 2 cell cams and get out. With the Intel he gathers we will set a stand early next week and hopefully be hunting by the weekend right when things start to heat up!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1