Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

49 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Weather says 10-12 mph , it’s rocking on rolling outside my window right now at least double that , I’d bag it but I’ll take neighbor as his days to hunt are limited .

I shoot most my bucks in windy days like this. Good luck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hock3y24 said:

I shoot most my bucks in windy days like this. Good luck.

I 100% agree.  Do you know how many days I've said to myself, "yes, 5mph wind, sunny calm and I see little to nothing".  I actually have been taking mental note for about 5 years.  The windy days seen to increase buck activity, especially during the day.  Until my personal observations change while in the woods, I'll be convinced of this. We have been taught to believe otherwise and IMO isn't accurate.

• Like 1

Getting crazy ! First light a doe ran by me , my neighbor had two young bucks under his stand pic of one below .

Then I heard blowing and a young buck chased a doe behind me . Then some crashing sounds in center of woods . I actually stood up !

0925B82E-7672-4982-B75F-A2EA15211550.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, E J said:

8F here and my cameras have been dead tonight after dark. I had a 2 yr old buck walking a few minutes after a doe earlier today though. 

interestingly enough they've been dead all morning. Cell cams are the worst. Sometimes you're seeing them blow up and kicking yourself, but in reality you should be happy to have action. And then if you're stuck in meetings it's nice because there's nothing going on lol.

I should note my active hours have mostly been 7pm-10pm and then 4am-7am. To me that's a temp thing and also means they're getting closer and closer to those daylight hours. 

I should have also said #2 buck, not buck #2 in my earlier post. Another thing I would change if I bought the site lol. Stop locking the damn edit button lol.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I always base the start of daytime activity, seeking, doe entering estrous on deer/car collisions.  I haven't heard of much yet. I drive the 400 every weekend and haven't seen but a doe or two dead.  I think we are a week out.

I notice a lot more bucks getting hit when the rut hits. 

Side note: check out Bee Spit meadery where the 400 ends and 16 starts in new plaza that has machias surplus and Tim hortons. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Side note: check out Bee Spit meadery where the 400 ends and 16 starts in new plaza that has machias surplus and Tim hortons. 

@turkeyfeathersthere was an interesting article about this in NYON a few years ago, if I’m not mistaken it was written by a fellow hunter who also owns a body shop. I’m going to try and search it up and put in here 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've been to that plaza every weekend.  I stop for a coffee and then Machias outdoor store. I saw that place, what is it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I've been to that plaza every weekend.  I stop for a coffee and then Machias outdoor store. I saw that place, what is it?

Meadery. Mead is a fermented honey alcoholic beverage, opened a couple weeks ago. Excellent meads of all different flavors. They have Mortalis brewing sours in fridge too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I always base the start of daytime activity, seeking, doe entering estrous on deer/car collisions.  I haven't heard of much yet. I drive the 400 every weekend and haven't seen but a doe or two dead.  I think we are a week out.

we are for sure a week or so out from rut. But I've been more successful at hunting the chase and that's pretty much here. Also might be because it's hard for me to pass on a 2.5 sometimes lol.

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Meadery. Mead is a fermented honey alcoholic beverage, opened a couple weeks ago. Excellent meads of all different flavors. They have Mortalis brewing sours in fridge too. 

Very interesting.  I'll definitely stop.  I'm skipping this weekend for Halloween weekend with wife and kids.  Then I'll head back to camp.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

we are for sure a week or so out from rut. But I've been more successful at hunting the chase and that's pretty much here. Also might be because it's hard for me to pass on a 2.5 sometimes lol.

I think the chase is the most difficult.  Seeking is my favorite time.   Bucks walking through the woods, they'll still respond to calls and scents.  Once they are on a hot doe, you can pretty much forget about it.  It's going to be a great two weeks....

4 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

I think the chase is the most difficult.  Seeking is my favorite time.   Bucks walking through the woods, they'll still respond to calls and scents.  Once they are on a hot doe, you can pretty much forget about it.  It's going to be a great two weeks....

I think most people combo the seek/chase phase. Pre-rut is what I'm after.

• Like 3