Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Sitting another 1.5 and leaving my stand for the night just going to reposition it and I’ll be back to hunt it tomorrow morning. That is unless a shooter comes past.  

sent my wife a picture of the buck I passed and she asked me if I was dumb. Lol
At least she asked... : )

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

So now that I'm home I can type this out. At the end of the day it was a good morning, not a snoozer by any means.

So around 7:30 I hear what I think is a grunt about 50 to 60 yards SE of me, upwind. It's super quiet and I hear it again. I know that sound, but I'm honestly a little shocked. Over the next few minutes I hear at least another dozen short, what sound like tending grunts. They're a short and higher pitched, not the deep bull frog of a mature buck that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. For the non-deer hunters think jake gobble over tom. I give a couple very short, non aggressive grunts on the tube thinking this lone buck might need to be coaxed my way. 

Anyhow, I'm for sure expecting to see a 1.5 or maybe 2.5 come through and I'm excited for the action regardless. Then some crashing starts and I can see a doe moving in and out of the thick cover. Now I'm really sort of taken aback. This is like full rut behavior. She's spooked, he's grunting and they're doing the dance. Finally she comes running north, and I mean running. She stops and he stays in the thick stuff at about 45 yards. It's here where I get a first look at his head gear. He is no 2.5. He's an easy 120, maybe 130 class buck. Que the knees shaking. 

Doe then does an about face at the corn/field edge and goes bolting back south actually down a run I have a lane to, but the buck has never left the cover. She's now gone and he's just chilling. In the thick stuff. I grunt some more, a little more aggressive. He couldn't care less lol. He turns to head east, not the direction of the doe and away from me. So I hail mary snort wheeze. He stops but then continues on. sigh.

Around 8:15 my heart has settled and I'm thinking well that wasn't a bad hunt I guess. 3 deer and some cool action, despite the frustration of no shot at a shooter. Well who do we have here headed east towards me? Ole shooter buck again. fwiw he's #3 on the hit list but again a wall hanger for most. He gets to about 45 yards behind some brush, but with a scope I'd have taken the shot with a gun. He has a choice, go right on the run and probably broadside at 20 or go left. Well you know how this story ends and i watch him take a run to the left and skirt me at like 50-60. Again grunt and snort and he gives zero F's. Even rattled a bit when he got out of site. Fun morning. It's only 10/28, but frustrating none the less. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 13

I'm dying to get out, this has been the least I've hunted in October in over 10 years.  Be out in the morning.  Haven't touched the cams in almost 3 weeks too.  Wish I could get out and scout this afternoon while the wind is up but have to do Halloween stuff with the kids and drop my daughter off at her drama class.  It's making me antsy.

• Like 1

I’ll be out all day Sunday for sure. Boss told me to take some me time as I have been working pretty hard this past month. But of course they are calling for rain Monday. Maybe I’ll take the boss up on that during second week of crossbow.

• Like 2

Was just made aware a potential 150-170”is day lighting on my FIL if his co owner of the property isn’t going Monday I’m going to try to sneak on and get it.  

I have seen the trail camera picture of him and he is pushing that all day. 

0C710C87-95B2-4B42-8F49-783168A24A09.png

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Congrats @turkeyfeathers! What BH are you using? Looks like it got the job done.

Seems like a LOT more activity over the past day or two. A buddy of mine took a decent little 6 in 8A yesterday. I'll be back on my normal property tomorrow and possibly Sunday. Can't wait.

Slick trick wicked trick ss fixed. 100 grains. That’s the entrance hole too. 

• Like 3

On 10/26/2022 at 8:54 PM, crappyice said:

Just Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot was <10 yards from my climber... hit a little bit low, but luckily the Rage's 2.3" cut did its job.  She went maybe 15 yards and some of that was sliding down a hill.  Tracking doesn't get any easier than that.

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

• Like 13

Was just made aware a potential 150-170”is day lighting on my FIL if his co owner of the property isn’t going Monday I’m going to try to sneak on and get it.  

I have seen the trail camera picture of him and he is pushing that all day. 
0C710C87-95B2-4B42-8F49-783168A24A09.thumb.png.95a150ea493dd004f375804d04175d9f.png
That's a lot of antler right there! Good luck with him!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Shot was <10 yards from my climber... hit a little bit low, but luckily the Rage's 2.3" cut did its job.  She went maybe 15 yards and some of that was sliding down a hill.  Tracking doesn't get any easier than that.

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

I love love mechanicals. 

Congrats on your kill.