Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Well i finally got out last night for 3rd sit of the season.  I had a decent 8pt come to food plot and I missed at 32 yds!  He was a little spooked and  jumped the string. Back in this morning for a while, nothing so far, feels like a great day.  Good luck all.

I don’t want to be that guy, but it’s highly unlikely he jumped the string enough for a complete miss. More likely the shot was a little off too, typically low at distance and jumping the string would have helped.

In my experience it’s not great to shoot an alert deer, but it can be done. Just normally see it end in wounds, not a total miss.

You got it next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

I don’t want to be that guy, but it’s highly unlikely he jumped the string enough for a complete miss. More likely the shot was a little off too, typically low at distance and jumping the string would have helped.

In my experience it’s not great to shoot an alert deer, but it can be done. Just normally see it end in wounds, not a total miss.

You got it next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it's a better situation if the deer is not alert.  But depending on the distance, shot angle (uphill or downhill), I have seen deer duck an arrow for a clean miss.  That is their first reaction to the twang usually, to crouch before taking off.  I certainly don't believe they are purposely ducking the arrow, it's just what they do.  For that reason my aim point with my bow is a bit lower than with the thunder stick.

• Like 2

Spooked a deer on the way to the stand this afternoon, haven't seen much in the last few hours.  

Last night I saw a spike get bagged by a suv, so they're getting more active, just not near me.  

Strangely, I'm hearing a lot of shots off in the distance- it's still bow season here so must be good turkey?

Dead buck mania on the thruway across the Rochester exits, at least four and one big one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zero dead bucks on route 84 between Fairfield, Putnam and Dutchess counties. Still a week away here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Scouting tomorrow around noon after pulling a cell camera that’s not getting  anything on it.  I’m trying to focus on a split g2 buck in a thick nasty swamp. There’s one clearing in it that’s maybe 25yrds by 10yrds.  Issue I’m going to have is getting into it because it’s just a wall of brush before it thins out.  There’s also stateland on the other side of the road that had a huge scrape last year so going to check that first. 

I have the split g2 buck I’ve been watching all summer and he was in there on camera on the 20th in daylight and another small 8pt who’s been on it almost every other day. 

67689A65-BC47-4D34-AAF5-FE1B6068FA8E.jpeg

07BEDF91-0F42-42D2-B457-FD5640CF9EF5.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm in . Out of the last 14 days we've had one day of west wind. Crazy. It's supposed to switch N and E here so this is prob the stand to be in. Last night didn't get here early enough already does in front of it at 4. So of course should be nothing tonight 556f4cdba383be01f2b00c04e8cb2733.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2