Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

5 hours walking around up north. Jumped two and never got a shot. Bumped the rifle on a tree almost falling, so I took a couple shots at an Altoids tin I set up at the base of a dead tree stump to make sure everything was still good. All good didn't jar the rifle enough to knock the scope out of wack.

Didn't get to hunt this morning. Daughter has bball try outs and I had to load a tractor trailer up with hay.

Out this evening. deer 1 : me 0 so far. At a hay wagon blind out in the field. Several deer, no bucks out in the adjacent field. It wouldn't mean much but yea.... it's right where I parked the truck!
20221029_174038.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Goofy sit.  I set up in the hedgerow to cover the log road that leads into the plot.  Doe, fawn and an unknown came out behind me and fed in front of the permanent blind I use for rifle.  Three minutes of legal light left and I was packing up and the doe caught me moving in the brush, 75 yards away, through a strip of field corn.  Never winded me, but I hate spooking deer.  Ah well.  If I had sat the blind they would have come out the log road 135 yards away.  I love my crossbow, but I'm starting to miss my magnum.

Saw 1 smallish buck that never came close enough to count points, not that it matters much....would have probably gotten a pass. Did not come to a grunt, but it made a scrape before leaving. I freshened the scrape on my way out. Only deer seen this PM.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Was out there for 14 hours today, dark to dark. Did not see a single thing the entire time. 

All 3 of my cams were showing movement Friday. Today, not a single thing on the cams or in my blind. Can send me buddy out tomorrow allow in the am and see if I can push something his way around 9ish. 

Got in late and decided to clear a few lanes before I sat. 15 minutes after I got situated my target 8 point walked in just out of range. I grunted it in twice but he just wouldn't come in the last 10 yards I needed. Tonight really recharged my motivation.  And I found some fresh rubs and scrapes.

Good luck to everyone going out in the am. I'm on Dad patrol until the afternoon. Maybe I get the kids to help plant my last few apple trees for the woods orchard.20221029_182445.thumb.jpg.2af600d6880bc0c07f44c173b94ec60c.jpg

• Like 3

8N

Two sits (last night and tonight). First time in trees this year. No deer seen.  Surprising.  Pulled a card today and had 3 cruising last night.  One nice one and another 2.5 and one yearling buck.  Scrape not too far from camera was hit last night.  No daytime action right now.