Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

What a fantastic hunt this afternoon.  Until I missed...  Had 8 doe and fawn coming walking by at 15y.  Finally a nice 8pt followed. Have no clue what happened, but my arrow hit 5' to his left.  He then proceeded to walk over and snif my green lighted knock.  Got a second arrow knocked, and was about half draw when he decided to vacate the area.  

• Like 5

What a fantastic hunt this afternoon.  Until I missed...  Had 8 doe and fawn coming walking by at 15y.  Finally a nice 8pt followed. Have no clue what happened, but my arrow hit 5' to his left.  He then proceeded to walk over and snif my green lighted knock.  Got a second arrow knocked, and was about half draw when he decided to vacate the area.  
Clean miss beats a bad shot every time... don't ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Winds are more steady out of the south this am, 34F. I sat till noon yesterday, had does and fawns going by early, then a nice 2.5 came by at 20 yds. Maybe 100 ", no brow tines.  He was grunting and following the does who had no interest.  I was on public and had another guy a couple hundred yards to my south. Oh well.  Can't hunt this am, but will get back out later today at some point. 

All day sits start now, things should be picking up. The weather shows mid to high 60's the next 10 days though, so that will have them moving mostly at night and early morning.

• Like 1

Slow start for myself this morning. Not super motivated. Todays weather will be like all the other days I’ve hunted and haven’t seen anything. 42 degrees right now and only getting warmer with a high of 65. If I had more days to hunt I’d probably skip today but when time is limited you hunt when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not liking the temps coming up. Mornings should still be decent and they are going to chase regardless but 60-70s first week of November sucks. 
I was looking at the forecast and said the same. Next weekend back to 70. This is crazy. I know the rut comes around regardless but geeze it's going into Nov. And we haven't hardly seen a west wind in weeks . That is just almost weird at this point. 1d3f4762a64f745259455c39e24feb94.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ya, I'm on deercation from work 11/2-11/9 and not too thrilled about those warm temps. Packed in for 2nd all day sit today. Some good chasing by my stand yesterday in the dark before light and passed on a 2.5 yr old 7pt chasing and trailing some does by my stand at 10:15. He stood still at 10yds watching the does for over 5 minutes, then off chasing again. Long sit till dark after that with no more deer seen the rest of the sit. We'll see what happens today. Good luck all. 

30 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I was looking at the forecast and said the same. Next weekend back to 70. This is crazy. I know the rut comes around regardless but geeze it's going into Nov. And we haven't hardly seen a west wind in weeks . That is just almost weird at this point. 1d3f4762a64f745259455c39e24feb94.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Feel like it's getting western out here.  Hunting the land backwards.... looks like few days with westerly wind coming but very unorthodox season so far.

I’ll be hitting it hard the next 2 weeks every morning.  Have stuff to do this morning and doing my scouting I wanted and then Monday I start the every morning grind until I can get something on the ground. 

on the bright side I have seen next to no hunting pressure on all the stateland I hunt. One atv one day somewhat close to where I hunt and then 1 guy walk under my stand opening week 15mins before shooting light ended but that’s been it.   I have yet to ever see crossbow make that much of a difference on stateland near me so I don’t worry once that starts. 

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

Clean miss beats a bad shot every time... don't ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Been there myself.  I actually laughed when he walked over and sniffed the knock. 

I'll hopefully get another crack at him.  Things are really heating up fast.  

Hopefully I can figure out what happened this morning.  Took a couple shots Friday afternoon with no issues, and there was nothing between him and I except air. 

• Like 1