Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Agreed.  Been there myself.  I actually laughed when he walked over and sniffed the knock. 
I'll hopefully get another crack at him.  Things are really heating up fast.  
Hopefully I can figure out what happened this morning.  Took a couple shots Friday afternoon with no issues, and there was nothing between him and I except air. 

Time for a new bow… that old bow I gave your “ nephew” has gotta be 10 years old at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chef said:

Time for a new bow… that old bow I gave your “ nephew” has gotta be 10 years old at this point

My pse stinger x is about 7 yrs old and kills fine.  

And my nephew is still using the bow you gave him.  

If you choose to believe otherwise, that's on you. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

My weather app lied to me I was surprised to find that it was only 28 degrees and not 42. I didn’t see a single deer on the drive in this morning.

I’m sitting over a large field with a food plot right in front of me hoping they come out for a late breakfast. Haven’t seen anything yet

What a fantastic hunt this afternoon.  Until I missed...  Had 8 doe and fawn coming walking by at 15y.  Finally a nice 8pt followed. Have no clue what happened, but my arrow hit 5' to his left.  He then proceeded to walk over and snif my green lighted knock.  Got a second arrow knocked, and was about half draw when he decided to vacate the area.  

5’ left? That’s crazy, best to check the site which I know you will. Check for a sapling deflection maybe?

Feel like it's getting western out here.  Hunting the land backwards.... looks like few days with westerly wind coming but very unorthodox season so far.

There was that cold snap in early October where a bunch of deer dropped and action was good. The rut will always be there, but those were good days to hunt if you could.

Tough part of life I’d you’re not retired is trying to plan that vacation around weather.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

5’ left? That’s crazy, best to check the site which I know you will. Check for a sapling deflection maybe?

Surprised the hell out of me.  Possible string caught my binoculars, but I think I would have felt that.  The lighted knock isn't super tight and easy to twist when arrow is knocked, so also possible my vanes hit the cable. And there wasn't a twig between him and I. 

heading out to shoot in a few. I'll put my harness and jacket on and see if I figured it out. 

• Like 1

8A 31deg, very slight N wind. Been in stand since 6. Really exciting morning to be in the woods. Had a doe walk behind at 40yds on neighbors property at 7:15. At 7:30 i heard thrashing and the loud clack clack as two solid bucks went at it. That was 200ish yds away near another stand. They were loud and big enough that I could see them pushing corn around even from that far away. Then around 7:45 three doe moved from woods to corn about 60 yds to my right, feeding away. Shortly after that I heard the bucks square off again from the same spot. I made the decision to move stands to get a little closer to the action. Didn't bump anything on the way over. Now I'm in that other stand. Cool morning so far.

• Like 3

Farmer friends, help me out. I was walking the property line from stand A to stand B. The neighbor has an orchard. Why would they take their crop, literally tons of apples, and pile them up on the ground? Not coincidentally they moved a ladder stand into the hedgerow overlooking the piles..

IMG_20221030_081649825.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

Surprised the hell out of me.  Possible string caught my binoculars, but I think I would have felt that.  The lighted knock isn't super tight and easy to twist when arrow is knocked, so also possible my vanes hit the cable. And there wasn't a twig between him and I. 

heading out to shoot in a few. I'll put my harness and jacket on and see if I figured it out. 

Use a plastic grocery bag to put nocks in tight, cut off excess.

Farmer friends, help me out. I was walking the property line from stand A to stand B. The neighbor has an orchard. Why would they take their crop, literally tons of apples, and pile them up on the ground? Not coincidentally they moved a ladder stand into the hedgerow overlooking the piles..
IMG_20221030_081649825.thumb.jpg.5381a81695427d641d3b1ab3d544fce3.jpg

Holy shit. I grew up with an apple farmer and all around orchards and have never seen anything like that.

I did hear this year was a boom for apples and the sale price is real low as a result, but don’t understand why they’d take the time to pile them all up. Always thought dropped apples were good fert for the tree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Probably not enough market to sell them this year. Record size crops for most and many dont have enough bins to pick into. Ive heard some folks are doing that then piling hay on them to try and sell for juice in the winter. Our crop is huge as well. Working dark to dark seven days a week and were still 10 days from being done. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Farmer may have picked those earlier hoping to get rid of them for juice apples but there is some much juice this year the movement is pretty slow. They may have needed the empty bins to finish their harvest.

• Like 1