Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

37 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Wish us luck, son hit a buck little before 6. Shot was liverish area, it spun on the shot but was quartering  away on impact. Heading out in an hour to check were i saw it last before it went into thick cover.

Fingers crossed , looking forward to the trophy photos . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Belo said:

There was that cold snap in early October where a bunch of deer dropped and action was good. The rut will always be there, but those were good days to hunt if you could.

Tough part of life I’d you’re not retired is trying to plan that vacation around weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year I traveled to help family. Hunting is great for me, morning hunts have been great last 3 days and a few nights ago was bonkers.  

50 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Wish us luck, son hit a buck little before 6. Shot was liverish area, it spun on the shot but was quartering  away on impact. Heading out in an hour to check were i saw it last before it went into thick cover.

Hit a deer like this 3 yrs ago. Waited 6 hrs and snuck back to where I saw him last. He was laying there dead. Lol

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

It’s illegal year round on most state forests and DEp lands in SENY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent my concerns to the forest ranger responsible for the land. He said he would look into it. State troopers use to patrol it. Got some dummy up there once with an AK and a bunch of 30 rd mags. Not that I'm against but the exact  opposite.  But pretty dumb to take them to state land and blast away. Lol

• Like 2

Seeing a lot more activity in past 36 hours. A few day walking checking scrapes. Also seeing signs of bucks starting to really go after a few single does on cam.

We tied into one of our target bucks Sat evening but just past shooting/legal light for my partner and he had to wait quite some time for the buck to clear out. This morning was a bust short of three does I saw. We went to the south side of our farm due to a change in wind that didn’t pan out. North was where we wanted to go and glad we didn’t because the smallest of the target bucks was walking around for the first two hours. Hard to turn down a really good buck like that but our regular cams showed that BOTH of the bucks I saw get into a brawl last season and were the 1 and 2 on that farm made it through and showed up this week. Thought both were gone/dead. Super pumped because they blew up even more.

Here in NY we had a good buck go by pretty late in AM to hit a scrape in cover. A stand we set is in the background. I’ll likely be there Thursday AM. See what it brings.

DF801841-04EA-415E-8CE2-28AA986798D3.jpeg

021C0110-AAEC-412A-9E2E-96CBA1772442.jpeg

• Like 12

Got back at 2am from my brothers wedding last night, so I knew going deer hunting today wasn't in the cards. Felt bad for the dog since she was alone for like 16 hours last night, so I took her out bird hunting again. She did great with pointing the first bird and I did a bad job shooting again. I did hit it and it went down, but it ran when it hit the ground. She did a great job tracking it down...but the retrieve on pheasant is something we'll have to work on. The second bird I actually saw flush wild about 70 yards away when we crested the hill in the field. It flew into a dried up creek bed, so I went to the other side and pushed it back to the field edge. Wind switched when I got back in the field, so the dog had no way of finding it, but this time she flushed in range and I shot it.

I really need to get into the deer woods. This weekend is looking pretty shitty though

View recent photos.png

• Like 16

No deer...no blood at the hit site. found half the arrow in a path, no trees around, looks like the buck jumped some downed trees and the arrow snapped. Close enough to his shoulder when he jumped he snapped it...not sure. Hair in that area, 2 pin drop size spots of blood. Theres 14"-16" of arrow in the deer. Left a msg with deer search, we'll see if i get a call back tomorrow.

20221030_204012.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

No deer...no blood at the hit site. found half the arrow in a path, no trees around, looks like the buck jumped some downed trees and the arrow snapped. Close enough to his shoulder when he jumped he snapped it...not sure. Hair in that area, 2 pin drop size spots of blood. Theres 14"-16" of arrow in the deer. Left a msg with deer search, we'll see if i get a call back tomorrow.

20221030_204012.jpg

That hair looks long. I'm thinking forward of the shoulder/brisket. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Hair was around 2", brown and black tipped. From what i looked up it appears high shoulder/back area.

Possible upper brisket, forward of shoulder. 

Would explain only a few drops of blood. Solid brisket hit should have some fat on the shaft.

Just now, Fletch said:

I agree! As soon as I put the boat up 3 - 70 degree weekends in a row, wtf!

this season i couldve bagged the entire bow season for the most part and just fished.  Then started hunting first weekend of Xbow.  Next year i am taking 0 time off til halloween.  Then pound it for 3 weeks which are the best anyway 

• Like 5