Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Whole lotta nothing going on . Corn in the immediate area was cut , beans all gone and green fields covered in manure .

Movement fizzled , maybe one will come back to visit.

Squirrels still like it here 

edit :and now one is walking in the woods ….

Edited by Nomad

Live from the home office 2022. I was on a conference call at 7:30 when my wife came in and said there was a buck out in the field. I jumped up grabbed the bino's and head out. It was a nice 8-point that followed a path the doe normally use.

I'm glad my camera was off for while I was on the Teams meeting!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last two day I saw a few bucks and doe. Jumped a big one bedded with a doe. Shooter for sure. Cool incident yesterday morning.  Biggest flock of Turkey Ive seen in a long time. A fisherCat came through and stirred up the Turkeys that were rooted or coming of of roost. He heads my way and sets up in some thick brush. The flock of Turkey start coming my way. Im saying he is going to catch one. The flock was about 25. They get to me and start scratching all around some drifting off too far. This one bird is heading right for the Fisher. Closing the distance the bird is warned by one of the older hens. I see these hens watching out for the group by jumping up on logs and looking around. She must of saw movement and sounded the alarm. The woods lit up with Turkey chatter and the Fisher took off. It was pretty cool. Turkey 1 Fisher 0!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, biggamefish said:

Wind, what wind? 

I hate hunting with it so quite. You can hear them coming but they pick you off at the slightest sound.

Yeah the wind has been tough this year - odd directions from norm and alot of low to no wind hunts in October. 

• Like 1

this season i couldve bagged the entire bow season for the most part and just fished.  Then started hunting first weekend of Xbow.  Next year i am taking 0 time off til halloween.  Then pound it for 3 weeks which are the best anyway 

That’s what I did this year Rob. I took off four 1/2 vacation days in Oct, but I’m off for the next 4 weeks. Well, I’m sure I’ll have to pop into a Teams meeting here and there, but I’d feel better keeping up with things anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It's funny you mention that @Robhuntandfish. I was actually thinking the same thing. Going forward, I think I'll hunt that early antlerless season, take most of October off, then pick up around halloween. That'll give me time for other things during the fall that are probably time better spent than sitting in a tree counting squirrels.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

That’s what I did this year Rob. I took off four 1/2 vacation days in Oct, but I’m off for the next 4 weeks. Well, I’m sure I’ll have to pop into a Teams meeting here and there, but I’d feel better keeping up with things anyways.

Just now, Bolt action said:

It's funny you mention that @Robhuntandfish. I was actually thinking the same thing. Going forward, I think I'll hunt that early antlerless season, take most of October off, then pick up around halloween. That'll give me time for other things during the fall that are probably time better spent than sitting in a tree counting squirrels.

My favorite is Xbow season anyway so it kinda works out. and its the best time of year.  I moved some days around this week and still have W,Th off but next week i am off everyday but W.  the week after i work three days and then took the whole week of Thanksgiving for gun.  I sure missed out on an insane fall bite on the lake for some lackluster hunting this year.  Wont make that mistake again.  

12 hours ago, Chef said:

Did you recover the coyote? What happened there

As i drive right by horse farm I turned into their long driveway through a nice gate with video survailence camera signs on either side. Got about half way down driveway and wussed out to ask permission to roam about their 10-12 horses to retrieve. I really wanted to skin and stretch the pelt and send to Moyles minkery to get garment tanned too. But if per chance a deer gets in there I'm definately going to ask. 

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

As i drive right by horse farm I turned into their long driveway through a nice gate with video survailence camera signs on either side. Got about half way down driveway and wussed out to ask permission to roam about their 10-12 horses to retrieve. I really wanted to skin and stretch the pelt and send to Moyles minkery to get garment tanned too. But if per chance a deer gets in there I'm definately going to ask. 

Dude, WTF?

Go now, you could grab the skull and have it cleaned.

Show up with the bunny suit, who could say no, it’s halloween.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

As the owner of a horse farm, I would be glad to know you were successful in taking out a coyote.   I would also prefer that you asked for permission to retrieve it to prevent me from finding in 10 days from now in a state of decay that I would prefer not to deal with..  

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

WTF. Worst case they say no. They aren't going to confiscate your stout beers! They already saw you and your plate # on video surveillance anyway

Edited by BizCT

On 10/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Probably not enough market to sell them this year. Record size crops for most and many dont have enough bins to pick into. Ive heard some folks are doing that then piling hay on them to try and sell for juice in the winter. Our crop is huge as well. Working dark to dark seven days a week and were still 10 days from being done. 

From what I've heard that is true, but why spend the gas to pick and pile them?

21 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Scouting went well.  Pulled my cell camera and swung past a ridge about 60yrds the opposite way the camera was facing found a bunch of scrapes and rubs so I put up a different trail camera.  Went to the spot where the g2 buck lives and found a bunch of huge rubs and a very fresh scrape.  Has 6 rubs all the way around the scrapes. So cell camera is at that location. Freshened all the scrapes with doe estrous.  

playing it simple. Cell camera goes off I’ll hunt there in the morning if not I’ll hunt the big scrape line. 

7F548D30-A268-453A-9473-65447F815174.jpeg

448FA54D-E693-47F8-948A-A8A776F8BDDC.jpeg

My dad and I are both running multiple cams on our properties and if I'm honest I've had several recent hunts with shooters in range and never on cam. Both our properties have been a little dead lately on cams, but in the woods it's shown otherwise. 

Just a word of caution to all the cam users out there, to not just rely solely on them for activity indicators. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

My dad and I are both running multiple cams on our properties and if I'm honest I've had several recent hunts with shooters in range and never on cam. Both our properties have been a little dead lately on cams, but in the woods it's shown otherwise. 

Just a word of caution to all the cam users out there, to not just rely solely on them for activity indicators. 

Took a 10 point in 2015 on second day of gun season.  Saw him twice before that in bow season and within range one time but he wouldn't stop (chasing does).  Never had a picture of him on cam.

Just go ask… worst they can say is no

On 10/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Probably not enough market to sell them this year. Record size crops for most and many dont have enough bins to pick into. Ive heard some folks are doing that then piling hay on them to try and sell for juice in the winter. Our crop is huge as well. Working dark to dark seven days a week and were still 10 days from being done. 

I've heard the same thing about there being a shortage of bins for the apples. My wife works for a farm market and the owners have stopped picking because they ran out of space and could not get additional bins and many of the pickers are leaving.

On a side note, I have plenty of room in my field if anyone is looking for a place to dump a few 10-wheeler loads of apples..

Edited by Judoka95

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

No I don’t just trying to narrow down a direction of travel for a particular deer and hoping he shows up at the scrape. I watched a buck earlier in the week walk just out of range of my camera by a couple feet and go the opposite way.   

im 90% sure I know where this buck is bedding and it’s on private. one camera has kinda told me that info so just hoping this second one confirms it.  Sign is there of a big buck so I’m guessing it’s from him. 

My phone started exploding just prior to having to leave the stand, so I figured why not, and took a look at the video of the huge suburban buck my buddy filmed in his back yard this morning. Only to look down and see a nice eight point staring up at me, wondering what the commotion was all about. He snuck in through some thick stuff while I was playing on my phone. I think there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere.

• Like 5