Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Dry leaves and no wind made paths to five stands and one additional path to lead them passed a stand , a fast job .

Found 3 frogs a few old shotgun shells , part of a grunt call and a lens from someone’s glasses !

A74134F6-4583-4E2B-8CE2-4157474658CE.png

9FAD8812-25B8-4B1B-96F6-B395B504CBEA.jpeg

ECEC367A-690C-4169-A6F2-46A5DB91A6F9.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Show the body and shot but not the head. I would take the bet it’s not a wall hanger. But like Crappy says. It’s meat in the freezer regardless 

And this is exactly why I haven't shown a pic of a dead deer in at least 4 or 5 years. Don't care about others judgment. Maybe I haven't shot a wall hanger in 5 years, maybe I shot a doe this last weekend. I share with my family and close friends and have no need to "brag".

Thanks for proving my point though, maybe the others will understand a little better now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Sent my concerns to the forest ranger responsible for the land. He said he would look into it. State troopers use to patrol it. Got some dummy up there once with an AK and a bunch of 30 rd mags. Not that I'm against but the exact  opposite.  But pretty dumb to take them to state land and blast away. Lol

it's a tough one for me. I'm a gun guy and have donated money to state org's trying to get some of our freedoms back or save the ones we have left. I also understand public land. I can be equally annoyed at mountain bikers as I can be at shooters, although only 1 can be a safety issue. 

Ultimately, similar to small game hunters, a little courtesy goes a long way on shared land. At the end of the day, what's legal is legal and we have to accept that and it's also totally ok to be annoyed haha.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

My dad and I are both running multiple cams on our properties and if I'm honest I've had several recent hunts with shooters in range and never on cam. Both our properties have been a little dead lately on cams, but in the woods it's shown otherwise. 

Just a word of caution to all the cam users out there, to not just rely solely on them for activity indicators. 

No I don’t just trying to narrow down a direction of travel for a particular deer and hoping he shows up at the scrape. I watched a buck earlier in the week walk just out of range of my camera by a couple feet and go the opposite way.   

im 90% sure I know where this buck is bedding and it’s on private. one camera has kinda told me that info so just hoping this second one confirms it.  Sign is there of a big buck so I’m guessing it’s from him. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

My dad and I are both running multiple cams on our properties and if I'm honest I've had several recent hunts with shooters in range and never on cam. Both our properties have been a little dead lately on cams, but in the woods it's shown otherwise. 

Just a word of caution to all the cam users out there, to not just rely solely on them for activity indicators. 

I just pulled a standard cam thats 50 yards from the cell cam thats gotten two pics in two weeks, its absolutely covered up in bucks lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

told ya!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

this season i couldve bagged the entire bow season for the most part and just fished.  Then started hunting first weekend of Xbow.  Next year i am taking 0 time off til halloween.  Then pound it for 3 weeks which are the best anyway 

I wouldn't sleep on the first week of october if you have plots or food. Unpressured deer and food early on can be instant success if you can pattern them. Also this year we had a good cold snap early and activity was crazy. Now we're getting that warm weather that we usually get in early to mid-october. I remember 2 years ago I think we had crazy rain and wind, we just can't predict the weather and it does affect hunting.

I'll stick to my belief thought that hunting or hunting moderate to hard from 10/10-10/20ish is not a great idea. I think you're doing more harm than good with scent and pressure. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't sleep on the first week of october if you have plots or food. Unpressured deer and food early on can be instant success if you can pattern them. Also this year we had a good cold snap early and activity was crazy. Now we're getting that warm weather that we usually get in early to mid-october. I remember 2 years ago I think we had crazy rain and wind, we just can't predict the weather and it does affect hunting.
I'll stick to my belief thought that hunting or hunting moderate to hard from 10/10-10/20ish is not a great idea. I think you're doing more harm than good with scent and pressure. 
We didn't even have a decent buck on cam til 10/16 and only at night last year 10/23. And I know everyone was just talking about don't rely on cams but a deer can't step foot in my plots without being on film. Lol

But this property has been the same every year for the 8 years I've hunted it. 1-2 local small bucks then about Halloween it blows up.

I do hunt early for a doe and prob will still do that some but am saving my time for prime time.

And I haven't seen any cold snap here or any increased activity til now. Think a lot depends on the property.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

That’s what I did this year Rob. I took off four 1/2 vacation days in Oct, but I’m off for the next 4 weeks. Well, I’m sure I’ll have to pop into a Teams meeting here and there, but I’d feel better keeping up with things anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking forward to hopefully see you drop one early and not see the grind you went through last year :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

As i drive right by horse farm I turned into their long driveway through a nice gate with video survailence camera signs on either side. Got about half way down driveway and wussed out to ask permission to roam about their 10-12 horses to retrieve. I really wanted to skin and stretch the pelt and send to Moyles minkery to get garment tanned too. But if per chance a deer gets in there I'm definately going to ask. 

Jay, I know a guy who would be happy to help you put up the coyote ;-)  …although it might be getting a bit ripe by now…I could also help you clean the skull…I’ll be in skull prep mode soon for someone else…keep me posted!   (Hopefully any deer you stick don’t run that way)

Good luck!!

Edited by dinorocks
  • Like 1

As i drive right by horse farm I turned into their long driveway through a nice gate with video survailence camera signs on either side. Got about half way down driveway and wussed out to ask permission to roam about their 10-12 horses to retrieve. I really wanted to skin and stretch the pelt and send to Moyles minkery to get garment tanned too. But if per chance a deer gets in there I'm definately going to ask. 

162f85fc630665437b5381431f929c81.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

My cams are popping all day.  Most of the pics are does running by. Probably getting harassed.  

I know it's warm, but the bucks are getting ramped up, and I seen several bucks yesterday afternoon and it was mid 60's. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Live from the home office 2022. I was on a conference call at 7:30 when my wife came in and said there was a buck out in the field. I jumped up grabbed the bino's and head out. It was a nice 8-point that followed a path the doe normally use.

I'm glad my camera was off for while I was on the Teams meeting!!

So, while I was eating lunch and staring out the window, I noticed this. That buck must have made it this morning.

My wife finds it amazing that I can spot a rub from 150 yrds away but can't seem to see the crumbs I left on the counter.

20221031_124118.thumb.jpg.8f0b8aa7d74e9ac618a6860cf4669cde.jpg20221031_124221.thumb.jpg.35fdc5e924dc110e5c3cb550b49e89b5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

So, while I was eating lunch and staring out the window, I noticed this. That buck must have made it this morning.

My wife finds it amazing that I can spot a rub from 150 yrds away but can't seem to see the crumbs I left on the counter.

20221031_124118.thumb.jpg.8f0b8aa7d74e9ac618a6860cf4669cde.jpg20221031_124221.thumb.jpg.35fdc5e924dc110e5c3cb550b49e89b5.jpg

Yup. I know the feeling…..

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

No I don’t just trying to narrow down a direction of travel for a particular deer and hoping he shows up at the scrape. I watched a buck earlier in the week walk just out of range of my camera by a couple feet and go the opposite way.   

im 90% sure I know where this buck is bedding and it’s on private. one camera has kinda told me that info so just hoping this second one confirms it.  Sign is there of a big buck so I’m guessing it’s from him. 

I know. My post wasn't meant to be directed at you. Just an observation as a fellow cell cam guy for others to think about and consider. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We didn't even have a decent buck on cam til 10/16 and only at night last year 10/23. And I know everyone was just talking about don't rely on cams but a deer can't step foot in my plots without being on film. Lol

But this property has been the same every year for the 8 years I've hunted it. 1-2 local small bucks then about Halloween it blows up.

I do hunt early for a doe and prob will still do that some but am saving my time for prime time.

And I haven't seen any cold snap here or any increased activity til now. Think a lot depends on the property.

do you have cams on runs and off the plot? I have 2 bucks that I've not captured once in a plot but going through the woods and skirting them.

do you have cams on runs and off the plot? I have 2 bucks that I've not captured once in a plot but going through the woods and skirting them.
I have 14 cams on 117 acres. 3 on video. Lol. Sneaky SoBs.

I have that many cause I had another spot I hunted that I used cams on but no longer hunt there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I know. My post wasn't meant to be directed at you. Just an observation as a fellow cell cam guy for others to think about and consider. 

Your good.  It’s always good to have those reminders in my opinion.  Get caught up to much on the camera when it’s only pointed at one small area. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

My cams are popping all day.  Most of the pics are does running by. Probably getting harassed.  

I know it's warm, but the bucks are getting ramped up, and I seen several bucks yesterday afternoon and it was mid 60's. 

Same thing here in 3M

I have 10 cell cams out and I’ve had little to no deer activity on cam over the past couple of weeks. Last night, not 1 deer! The night before that, a doe. At most, over the past 2 weeks, I’ve gotten 2-3 does and 2-3 small bucks on cam each night. Pretty much correlates with what I’ve been seeing it the woods! They cut the corn next to me on 10/10 and the deer have all but vacated the area. I walked through the cornfield, and I bet I didn’t find a handful of corn left on the ground!

I haven’t gotten a pic of a shooter during daylight hours since 9/26. One new shooter has shown up recently, but only in the middle of the night. Last year, my cams were dead until ~11/9. Kind of expecting the same thing this year….

Edited by Cabin Fever

2 hours ago, Belo said:

looking forward to hopefully see you drop one early and not see the grind you went through last year :)

From your lips to Gods ears Belo!! :rolleyes:  I'm not blessed with having a good deer population around the property I hunt, so it's always a grind for me! So few that I won't consider shooting a doe. Being selective about the bucks I shoot makes it even harder and more frustrating. I'm certainly envious of guys that see multiple deer on most hunts... 

• Like 2