Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

26 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

The answer was not to rattle. Barely caught a glimpse through the trees of 2 does (maybe fawns) feeding in the field... 15 minutes later see them again further away and headed away from me. Figured I'd hit the rattles a little and hope they had a buck nearby. Hit them together a couple times and see 2 flags go up and high tail it directly away from me. Thought they would either come to it or ignore it all together. Didn't expect to spook them like that

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This time of year does are in hiding. Dont care for bucks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BizCT said:

Agree the time is now/soon regardless of temps. I'll be hunting full days on the 3rd, 8th, 12th, 14th, 19th and 20th and sprinkle in some additional quick sits before or after work. But i'll also be losing 2 travel days if heading to and from WNY. 

Leave after dark. Hunt AM. No lost hunting time.

• Like 2

Just now, Versatile_Hunter said:

Wishing her a speedy recovery 

Thanks. This her second go around she just got her smell back end of august when she had it back in January.  She’ll sleep for the next 2 or 3 days and act like nothing happened. Just how she is whenever she gets sick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

Good luck out there everyone!  I’m stuck at work for a long day so I won’t be hunting until tomorrow AM.  But on a good note… venison Reubens for dinner tonight!! 

5A4FA7CE-ED9E-406C-9FAC-A1FDEDFC2D5A.jpeg

Good lord.. I looked quick and thought it was something else in a toilet bowl. 

Did you brine/cure? 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wondering if the does are laying low right now, to avoid being harassed by small bucks? I saw 4 small bucks yesterday zig-zagging along a thicket looking for a doe. It’s been dead for days now. Cams have been dead too. That light switch has to be flipped soon…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love the smell of manure in the morning !

It’s that time of year they’re injecting the fields that surround my woods ,this is an equipment and labor intensive operation . The fields within a mile or so from the lagoon they lay hoses that connect to the equipment,with relay pumps the size of cars staged in route .

Farther away they use these tankers ( stock photos ) .

I got to feel it blocks movement across the fields , which one could take as good or bad, as it may lock the deer in the woods to staying in the woods . Idk

Ive got one stand farthest away from the operation I plan on sitting in for the first time tonight .

2312B0E2-106A-4AF7-BB41-A50A854A28E8.png

F1FD28F9-B796-4C70-92E0-51ADE9B04F4A.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

I’m going to sit til 1030 I think. Super slow after first hour. Have had bucks in here 9-10 2x this week so bummer on that not being today.

I expect a few photobomb selfies from the does in front of the scrape cam though lol

35 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I love the smell of manure in the morning !

It’s that time of year they’re injecting the fields that surround my woods ,this is an equipment and labor intensive operation . The fields within a mile or so from the lagoon they lay hoses that connect to the equipment,with relay pumps the size of cars staged in route .

Farther away they use these tankers ( stock photos ) .

I got to feel it blocks movement across the fields , which one could take as good or bad, as it may lock the deer in the woods to staying in the woods . Idk

Ive got one stand farthest away from the operation I plan on sitting in for the first time tonight .

2312B0E2-106A-4AF7-BB41-A50A854A28E8.png

F1FD28F9-B796-4C70-92E0-51ADE9B04F4A.png

The corn fields where I hunt a finally being picked today.  I imagine they will follow up with injected manure.  Every time time they do that, I never see anything in the fields for weeks.  

6 minutes ago, Otto said:

The corn fields where I hunt a finally being picked today.  I imagine they will follow up with injected manure.  Every time time they do that, I never see anything in the fields for weeks.  

Corn is amazing at bringing in wildlife. Security cover and food. I have a cam on an apple tree in a hedgerow facing a corn field last year. Non-stop action. Bears, bobcats, turkeys, endless deer with a couple of mature studs. No corn this year. Thought the apple tree would bring them in but it has for the most part been dormant. 

I'm catching a world of shit for this one. As you know I missed that giant buck last week. Since then I have run into a few really nice bucks. I have passed on them hoping to get a shot at the big one again. This guy was hard to pass this morning but I did. Had a spike pissing around with him also. Had him 10 yards broadway! Nice 2.5 year old. If you double click on the youtube video it enlarges the video, fyi. Back at it this afternoon. 

FL

• Like 13