Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

8 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Corn is amazing at bringing in wildlife. Security cover and food. I have a cam on an apple tree in a hedgerow facing a corn field last year. Non-stop action. Bears, bobcats, turkeys, endless deer with a couple of mature studs. No corn this year. Thought the apple tree would bring them in but it has for the most part been dormant. 

Did they plant something else? One big field is corn, and the other is alfalfa.  Both bring deer in practically every night.  Even many weeks after the corn is picked and it seems like nothing is left in the field, deer are out there. 

54 minutes ago, First-light said:

I'm catching a world of shit for this one. As you know I missed that giant buck last week. Since then I have run into a few really nice bucks. I have passed on them hoping to get a shot at the big one again. This guy was hard to pass this morning but I did. Had a spike pissing around with him also. Had him 10 yards broadway! Nice 2.5 year old. If you double click on the youtube video it enlarges the video, fyi. Back at it this afternoon. 

FL

WTF is wrong with you... 

Just kidding.  Kinda.  Hopefully it works out for you and that monster gives you another chance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Otto said:

The corn fields where I hunt a finally being picked today.  I imagine they will follow up with injected manure.  Every time time they do that, I never see anything in the fields for weeks.  

This is the third year they have been doing this , the farm that boarders me to the South , doesn’t so that’s one route to and from the thicket and woods that may pay off .

Used to be a field here and there now they do them all it seems . 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

This is the third year they have been doing this , the farm that boarders me to the South , doesn’t so that’s one route to and from the thicket and woods that may pay off .

Used to be a field here and there now they do them all it seems . 

New environmental laws and larger dairy farms are making the liquid manure use standard practice.  Up close it smells pretty bad, but they inject it into the soil so it is not too bad at some distance.  But it does seem to turn off the game for quite a while.......I don't even see crows picking away at the field. 

• Like 1

I was doing a leaf cleanup and was cleaning up a large garden area with my backpack leaf blower, when out of the corner of my eye, I see a deer running directly at me.  Doe stops 20 yards away, looks back, and sure enough, here comes a 4pt. He chased her through the lawn and across the field to the back woods. 

Neither of them cared I was there with a leaf blower running only 20y away.   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Otto said:

New environmental laws and larger dairy farms are making the liquid manure use standard practice.  Up close it smells pretty bad, but they inject it into the soil so it is not too bad at some distance.  But it does seem to turn off the game for quite a while.......I don't even see crows picking away at the field. 

If it's the grey sludge stuff the neighboring farmer to my parents said it's literally human $hit from treatment facilities downstate. I have to say it smells nor looks anything like cow manure.

Starting to pack. Even the long range forecast doesn’t instill confidence I’ll need my heavier clothes. Low 50s for highs even out a week. I’m gonna get showered up and going here in another 30 min and force myself to hunt the PM. I could almost do a base layer and a leafy suit lol. My hunting partner is tapping out opting to do some work stuff since he will be off for two weeks, too.

Hearing cams are slowing down from a few friends who are 12-24 hours ahead of us weather wise. Still have to get at it. Some buck will slip up at some point.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bhunterED said:

If it's the grey sludge stuff the neighboring farmer to my parents said it's literally human $hit from treatment facilities downstate. I have to say it smells nor looks anything like cow manure.

No it's the regular brown cow shit.  I lease the land to one of NY's largest dairy farmers.  He (they, large family business) has manure lagoons all over and is planning one for a mile or so down the road from me.  Not looking forward to that and a lot of people are trying to put a stop to it. 

I'm only out cause it's the last day with the compound for me and I had a lot of action this morn and I have the day off.

Kept my eye out for rattlesnakes on the way in as I am fairly certain I was abducted to Texas at this point. 72 on Nov 3. Yuck.

Hunting xbow sat and it's supposed to be 75. Gonna hunt that morn til like 11. 7e02bbf63ed8dd45bd9369fdd5815fd7.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I am out over the swamp and still battling mosquitoes. This weather is crap. Half dozen scrapes on way in. One track looks huge. I have no cams here as it's state land theftorama. I know there are dandy's in here though. Always is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5