Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Father in law just shot a spike and I'm stuck at work. He thinks he gut shot it so I told him to back out. Hopefully I get out of work early enough to help. Don't want to wait too long in this heat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He found him! Saw his buck laying down with his head up right on the path he walks back home to. So he just stood there from a distance and watched him. Said the buck got up at least 10 times and would stumble a couple yards and lay back down for a while. He calls me to tell me this and I tell him I'll be there in half an hour. Said as soon as he hung up the phone the buck put his head down, kicked around a little and died. When i get down there I'm trying to walk as quietly as I can and he yells to me "it's ok, he's f'n dead" Straight up gut shot. Had to toss the tenderloins and ribs but everything else is perfectly fine. 120lb spike. So happy for him. He's been struggling these past few seasonsc05cd25780909ef37aacdc95ee41276a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 24

Had my doubts bucks would move much today, or at least that’s the excuse/reasoning I used to justify leaving the woods at 9:30 this morning. I was 2 miles down the road this morning when a nice buck sprinted across the road in front of me at 10:30am! Don’t know how the guy coming in the opposite direction avoided hitting him! My son has sent me 4 cell cam pics throughout the day of nice bucks cruising through a funnel property that he hunts 2 miles from my place! 75 degrees or not, I decided I better get my ass to the stand this afternoon….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Had a close encounter with a shooter yesterday morning, but unfortunately not close enough. I need to suck them out of the neighbors field (non-hunter and doesn’t give permission). Thought if I had my decoy, that would have sealed the deal. Pulled her out this morning, but she blew over. I have to put her up on a log to give her more height to be seen better from the field (She wasn’t blessed with nice long legs). With the gusty wind, I needed to prop her up, but I think she’ll pass…
1e164c129159dea0ec85daec7110c2da.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Had a close encounter with a shooter yesterday morning, but unfortunately not close enough. I need to suck them out of the neighbors field (non-hunter and doesn’t give permission). Thought if I had my decoy, that would have sealed the deal. Pulled her out this morning, but she blew over. I have to put her up on a log to give her more height to be seen better from the field (She wasn’t blessed with nice long legs). With the gusty wind, I needed to prop her up, but I think she’ll pass…
1e164c129159dea0ec85daec7110c2da.jpg

Screw a real tail on her that can blow in the wind

So I will give an update full in my journal later but just wanted to update
Hit a big ass buck shoulder last night. Dog tracked today and had good blood for a while. Dog tracker for 8-900 yards and deer never bedded. We both think he has a high chance of making it. I did 5 more miles after the tracker left. Beat but not knocked out.

• Like 6

So I will give an update full in my journal later but just wanted to update
Hit a big ass buck shoulder last night. Dog tracked today and had good blood for a while. Dog tracker for 8-900 yards and deer never bedded. We both think he has a high chance of making it. I did 5 more miles after the tracker left. Beat but not knocked out.

That sucks but sure sounds like he made it which is some consolation. Hope you see him again

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Had my doubts bucks would move much today, or at least that’s the excuse/reasoning I used to justify leaving the woods at 9:30 this morning. I was 2 miles down the road this morning when a nice buck sprinted across the road in front of me at 10:30am! Don’t know how the guy coming in the opposite direction avoided hitting him! My son has sent me 4 cell cam pics throughout the day of nice bucks cruising through a funnel property that he hunts 2 miles from my place! 75 degrees or not, I decided I better get my ass to the stand this afternoon….

Most buck activity has been after 10 and before 3..  near full moon active and midnight and mid day.. 

I headed to the rye plot a little after 4:00 and bumped one out and all I saw was a tail. Just before 6:00 I saw deer headed to the plot led by a doe and fawn. I saw a hind quarter which turned out to be a buck rubbing and scraping. Another doe ran into the plot and eventually the buck, which I believe was a seven. He fed at 60 yards away and when the does started to leave he started chasing and grunting. He never got closer than 50yards. Action anyway!   

• Like 2

Playing the game with the bucks today. This morning I was on the other side of the farm when this young guy shows up ten yards from my natural ground blind on the oak ridge.

18ddc9b2-8f0a-48aa-908f-232b414b8e57.jpg.78e6e17fa6ed79bb22e4a236e3ba397f.jpg

So this afternoon I move over to that spot and see a couple doe's with fawns in tow. While a little spike harasses them. Then I get a picture of this shooter from where I was this morning!

8a332a96-.jpg.fcd65fab662b004ed657676ca4cb29d9.jpg

I guess that's why we call it hunting!

But good thing is, they are out and about, even in these warm temps. I may just stumble into one at some point? Who knows?

• Like 6