Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

13 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I'll be out tomorrow all day, family stuff today.  Cold front coming Monday, Tuesday looks good.  Check out next weekend!

Screenshot_20221105-073228.png

Can’t wait for those cold temps to get here. Done with summer weather.  I’d be happy if the temperature didn’t get above 35 degrees for the rest of hunting season. 

• Like 2

Had two big bucks chasing a doe this morning at 8. It was 60 degrees out. They don't care. 

There’s a lot of this going around this year.

Bucks don’t care, does warm temp bother you in the summer, etc etc.

Can you get a buck on a doe in this heat? Of course. But heat absolutely DOES affect their daytime rutting activity. How much hard work do you do on the hot days in august or do you wait for cool fall weather or evening?

Bucks will still rut, but they’ll wait till night. That’s the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulled cams from spot I hunted tonite.  Several small bucks wandering at night. But nothing big.  Gotta think M,T is gonna be killer. 
I agree, Tuesday/Wednesday looks prime, and I'm off both days. I did have a couple of cruisers today at 3PM though, I'm surprised but not...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There’s a lot of this going around this year.

Bucks don’t care, does warm temp bother you in the summer, etc etc.

Can you get a buck on a doe in this heat? Of course. But heat absolutely DOES affect their daytime rutting activity. How much hard work do you do on the hot days in august or do you wait for cool fall weather or evening?

Bucks will still rut, but they’ll wait till night. That’s the problem.

I mostly agree but... Comparing how much work we do when it's hot out vs cool is not what happens in nature. Nature has a time clock, the does NEED to be bred in a short window in order to ensure good fawn survival in the spring. Deer cannot simply wait until it's cool enough for their comfort level. Bucks do not know what "waiting" is this time of year, they know one thing. I had bucks cruising at 3PM today, alone, at what was likely the warmest part of the day. I'm sure it does slow some does down more than it does bucks. I've seen as many bucks cruising mid day at 65-70° than at 40° this time of year. I think it matters more to the hunter than the deer. My .02...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I mostly agree but... Comparing how much work we do when it's hot out vs cool is not what happens in nature. Nature has a time clock, the does NEED to be bred in a short window in order to ensure good fawn survival in the spring. Deer cannot simply wait until it's cool enough for their comfort level. Bucks do not know what "waiting" is this time of year, they know one thing. I had bucks cruising at 3PM today, alone, at what was likely the warmest part of the day. I'm sure it does slow some does down more than it does bucks. I've seen as many bucks cruising mid day at 65-70° than at 40° this time of year. I think it matters more to the hunter than the deer. My .02...

Exactly. It’s all about the amount and time of daylight in their eyes. A poor hunter will base their rut judgements on the youngest of the species and that’s the  poorest measuring stick. That show will go on but the mature breeders in the herds tell the true story. 

• Like 2

So I 100% agree with you that is slows the does down more than the bucks. The only effect I think it has on us as hunters is if the does stay put later into the day you will have less travel out of the wandering bucks. As far as bucks go they were absolutely making the rounds scent checking bedding areas this afternoon

Bleh.  Wine party last night isn't sitting right with me, got maybe 2 hours of sleep and I've been up for 3 hours now.  Might as well get spun up with a decent breakfast and get in a stand real early.  Sit for a couple hours, then use the wind for cover and just scout/spot/stalk.  If I can find some red hot scrapes + a run line maybe move a stand for Tuesday.  I think I know where a big one is bedding and it's a good wind to scout it.  Sleeping bag is in the truck for the inevitable crash!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. It’s all about the amount and time of daylight in their eyes. A poor hunter will base their rut judgements on the youngest of the species and that’s the  poorest measuring stick. That show will go on but the mature breeders in the herds tell the true story. 

That's why guys think rut is starting in october....

Some big deer moving mid day 11 to 3pm..  full moon and early moon rise has deer active middle of night and mid day. We may not like the heat but deer are looking for that 1 hot doe that comes in early.  Many are just crusing.. young bucks are chasing but does arent stoppiñg to be bred like the start and stop run they do when they are ready to breed. They are on  full out runs to get away from the harassment.  

Yes there are always a few early doe in oct and that is why october is fun. 

I really have no motivation for this morning. If it wasn’t for my daughter being able to hunt I think I’d go back to bed. But My daughter and I are getting ready. Raining now but that’s suppose to end between 6-7. Worst case is we will sit in one of the ground blinds but I’d really prefer if we could go sit in a natural blind I worked on that’s in a heavy traffic area.

• Like 2

The final decision here is bailing.  Got rest of the week off except for W.  All I need is to shoot one in 70 degree temps and it doesn't go right down. Rain coming in and hopefully bigger bucks on the move tomorrow.  Going to keep my stink out of the woods today for what looks like a great day tomorrow.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The final decision here is bailing.  Got rest of the week off except for W.  All I need is to shoot one in 70 degree temps and it doesn't go right down. Rain coming in and hopefully bigger bucks on the move tomorrow.  Going to keep my stink out of the woods today for what looks like a great day tomorrow.  

I’m off Wed. to next Monday and am doing the same . 

• Like 1

Watching the sun rise on my deck in my underwear and a t shirt. Think today I will finish a project for Mrs grampy and get the ankle deep leaves out of my driveway and yard. Last two days haven't even seen a deer. But still showing up on the cams at night. Tomorrow looks like the wind swings around from the NNW. I'll be ready for that. Haven't used those stands yet all season!

• Like 1

Up and in.  Warm one but figured they will need to move early and maybe a little flurry of action before storms hit midday. Sometimes they move a bit before a cold front pushes thru. At least that’s what I am telling myself 

D0AC56E8-3685-49EC-A6A0-B79D5374F8A3.jpeg

I hunted the first hour yesterday (at home) and the last two over at my parents place.  I did not see anything, not even a squirrel, at either spot.

I am up in my two story blind at home, for the first two hours today, and I’ll likely hit a big ladder stand, at the front corner of my woods, for the last (5) hours.  

It’s about 65 degrees now, with a 5-10 mph south wind, cloudy but no more rain in the forecast for the rest of the day, here on the nw corner of wmu 9F.

Hopefully, a “cruiser”, with (3) or more points on a side or a mature doe, will offer up a shot.  At this point, I’d be happy to just see a deer.  
C0E2B055-6811-4F0F-AF7C-6688873E5C38.thumb.jpeg.c48a0aa57f43cf4644851447177ab66e.jpeg

• Like 2