Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

9 hours ago, Belo said:

There’s a lot of this going around this year.

Bucks don’t care, does warm temp bother you in the summer, etc etc.

Can you get a buck on a doe in this heat? Of course. But heat absolutely DOES affect their daytime rutting activity. How much hard work do you do on the hot days in august or do you wait for cool fall weather or evening?

Bucks will still rut, but they’ll wait till night. That’s the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they will do a lot more in the cooler night temps. But to say it shuts off completely, like some people say is wrong. Buck catches scent of a doe he is investigating. I shouldn't of said they don't care. Looks like we have some good hunting coming up, good luck!

• Like 1

At 7:22, a 1.5 yr 4-Point crossed slowly by,  offering a 15 yard standing broadside shot, which I passed. Hopefully, that was the scout and big brother will show up soon.  That’s happened twice before from this same stand.  

I didn’t try and take his picture , because I didn’t want to spook him, like I did with a spike up in the adk’s a few weeks ago. 

Out in 8j, south wind at this point in the year means all the stands I have for rut activity are no good.  We setup the pop up in a corner just to try something different.  Also it was supposed to rain and be windy but the rain missed and it's calmer than I thought.

Like someone else said I would have stayed in bed if it weren't for my kid being so excited for xbow.

We have seen so far this morning:

A trash panda

Four doe

A frog that literally hopped by the blind

Giant hawk in the tree in front of us

Trophy Tom

20221105_164813.jpg

20221106_072657.jpg

20221105_141638.jpg

• Like 8

Feels like spring turkey season but not as cold at sunrise. Can't kill them from the couch during bow though. Over grown pasture at 2 o'clock, natural hardwood funnel to my left, thick brushy hole out front, and open hardwoods downwind at 4 oclock up the hill. This is always a mid morning activity spot. 7 bald heads so far.
20221106_072712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Feels like spring turkey season but not as cold at sunrise. Can't kill them from the couch during bow though. Over grown pasture at 2 o'clock, natural hardwood funnel to my left, thick brushy hole out front, and open hardwoods downwind at 4 oclock up the hill. This is always a mid morning activity spot. 7 bald heads so far.
20221106_072712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

How has your experience been with the hay wagon/blind setup?  I've thought of trying this myself.

I mostly agree but... Comparing how much work we do when it's hot out vs cool is not what happens in nature. Nature has a time clock, the does NEED to be bred in a short window in order to ensure good fawn survival in the spring. Deer cannot simply wait until it's cool enough for their comfort level. Bucks do not know what "waiting" is this time of year, they know one thing. I had bucks cruising at 3PM today, alone, at what was likely the warmest part of the day. I'm sure it does slow some does down more than it does bucks. I've seen as many bucks cruising mid day at 65-70° than at 40° this time of year. I think it matters more to the hunter than the deer. My .02...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

To be clear, it’s not an absolute, I didn’t mean that. The rut is still on. They’re just humping more at night and around 8pm than what we would normally see during the day.

I had one of the biggest bucks I’ve ever seen on camera at 2pm during the day this week lol. But I’m not seeing the typical 4 or 5 in the afternoon that you’d expect. Mostly mornings is when they’re moving and afternoons have been quiet.

• Like 1

Exactly. It’s all about the amount and time of daylight in their eyes. A poor hunter will base their rut judgements on the youngest of the species and that’s the  poorest measuring stick. That show will go on but the mature breeders in the herds tell the true story. 

Again, I’m not saying that bucks aren’t rutting. I’m saying that their activity is affected. To completely discount the affect that record heat has on buck activity is moronic, even you know that. How much does it affect them is up for debate sure.

This isn’t some wild opinion Belo holds

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/warm-weather-rut-hunting-tactics#:~:text=Although%20the%20rut%20will%20still,to%20maximize%20your%20daytime%20sits.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/weather-conditions-affect-rut/272796

Argue with biologists and experts if you want, we know that’s your MO. Somehow the deer industry is paying these guys to tell you deer move more at night when it’s warm to get more research dollars.

• Like 1

I'm sure they will do a lot more in the cooler night temps. But to say it shuts off completely, like some people say is wrong. Buck catches scent of a doe he is investigating. I shouldn't of said they don't care. Looks like we have some good hunting coming up, good luck!

We’re on the same page. Good luck to you too!