Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Another shower just came through.  Archery equipment is getting a good wash today. Still no bucks seen this morning. 

Good luck. The rain is what kept me out. I don’t mind cold, wind or warm, but archery hunting in the rain just kinda sucks. And in real heavy rains can be risky with anything but a great shot and blood tracking. In 8F it’s slowed down and I’d call it safe hunting, just a pain lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Warm or not he’s making the rounds he’s the little cro magnon buck from last year.  Turned into light patch on snout so now cro magnon lite   But he gets pass til next year. Pretty sure he knows I’m here and is getting more comfortable walking by.  He circled me and pushed a doe past.  Fun to watch him chase and grunt he was loud this morning. 

630D34DD-6CD7-4306-8F6F-61188F923795.png

80E64B9D-401F-4E86-8855-9195EFE3FAC1.png

E30976E5-F945-4E05-9F38-B35D283A0D6D.png

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

scar from getting thrashed by another buck IMO

I been watching a lot of TikTok while on stand and their brainwashing has me believing it’s due to wearing masks and the the early booster batches…ha.    

In reality he probably got kicked in the face last year by a dry socket sniffing where he shouldn’t have been 

• Haha 6

Again, I’m not saying that bucks aren’t rutting. I’m saying that their activity is affected. To completely discount the affect that record heat has on buck activity is moronic, even you know that. How much does it affect them is up for debate sure.

This isn’t some wild opinion Belo holds

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/warm-weather-rut-hunting-tactics#:~:text=Although%20the%20rut%20will%20still,to%20maximize%20your%20daytime%20sits.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/weather-conditions-affect-rut/272796

Argue with biologists and experts if you want, we know that’s your MO. Somehow the deer industry is paying these guys to tell you deer move more at night when it’s warm to get more research dollars.

So is it your contention that if we have a warm November the whitetails wont breed, causing a huge population crash?! I dont know man...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So is it your contention that if we have a warm November the whitetails wont breed, causing a huge population crash?! I dont know man...

I believe he’s saying the same thing the Full Moon guys say , more activity during the night , less during the day .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Again, I’m not saying that bucks aren’t rutting. I’m saying that their activity is affected. To completely discount the affect that record heat has on buck activity is moronic, even you know that. How much does it affect them is up for debate sure.

This isn’t some wild opinion Belo holds

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/warm-weather-rut-hunting-tactics#:~:text=Although%20the%20rut%20will%20still,to%20maximize%20your%20daytime%20sits.

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/weather-conditions-affect-rut/272796

Argue with biologists and experts if you want, we know that’s your MO. Somehow the deer industry is paying these guys to tell you deer move more at night when it’s warm to get more research dollars.

No argument needed. This says just what I said. The show will go on regardless. Heat will effect some movement just as everything else that could in the Whitetail’s world. 

440AB32D-C302-47C1-A6DE-10A11D228EA3.png

• Like 3

Against my better judgement I went out for a sit this morning.

Got in a tree by 530, sun was already rising. Saw a skunk, tricked me for a second as I thought the white flash was a deer.

And then this happened. I saw a bobcat, had my bow on him, drew back, then let down. I guess the cat lover in me just couldn't do it. I'm pretty sure seeing a bobcat during light hours is very very very rare. They also aren't as big as I thought they were.

Anyway, no deer, decided to leave at 9:30. 

Good luck to all that are still out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Against my better judgement I went out for a sit this morning.

Got in a tree by 530, sun was already rising. Saw a skunk, tricked me for a second as I thought the white flash was a deer.

And then this happened. I saw a bobcat, had my bow on him, drew back, then let down. I guess the cat lover in me just couldn't do it. I'm pretty sure seeing a bobcat during light hours is very very very rare. They also aren't as big as I thought they were.

Anyway, no deer, decided to leave at 9:30. 

Good luck to all that are still out.

had a bobcat at 11-12 yards for a good 10 minutes last day of archery 2 years ago. Grooming itself. Took pics and video. Never saw one before so did not send it either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I know i was kidding

We need a sarcasm emoji ! 

Which actually hurt  me as ,its kinda my thing .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

How has your experience been with the hay wagon/blind setup?  I've thought of trying this myself.
It's worked and not worked. I don't think they mind it but activity fell off in that spot to move up into woods and hit the acorns. Plus we keep getting a south wind that doesn't work for the spot. Blows right into where they'd be coming from. I pulled the blind off the wagon. Might move the wagon somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

About 2 miles deep on the point of my property right now.  Not much sign to speak of on the hillside right now.  Some prints, no scrapes rubs or browsing activity on the top ledge where the logger cut.  Surprising!  Killed about 30 chiggers so far.  Not looking forward to the walk back to the cabin.  If I was smart I'd just go home and watch football.