Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Just a few scattered clouds, out here near the nw corner of wmu 9F.  It’s about 70 F and the wind is 5-10 mph from the sw.  I am in a fairly comfortable, 10 ft high double ladder, on the ne corner of my woods, from which I have never seen a deer.  I have hunted from it 3 or 4 times, since I put it up (2) years ago, after a former site member sold it to me at a good price.  It’s about time that I got my $ 20 worth out of it.  

I guess maybe I already did, during the early antlerless season this year. I killed a big doe off an old boat dock platform, lagged to a dead ash tree, that I accessed with the bottom section of the ladder.  I can see that poison ivy shielded “natural blind” from where I am right now, exactly 220 yards down the gas line (Laser range finders are great).  

I removed the bottom ladder section, before I put it up, because 15 ft would have been too high for me.  I am not even comfortable at 10, but at least this thing has a good solid rail all around.  I could rest my Marlin 512 on it, in 2-weeks, and shoot a deer almost all the way to that natural blind.  I think that is what they call “enfilading” fire.  

I passed a freshly-cleaned scrape on the walk back here, next to a thick cover area, about 75 yards to my north.  I made it up the tree at noon.  If I stay until 15 minutes past sunset, it will be my longest sit of the season so far.  I hope a mid-afternoon cruiser (buck with 3 or more on a side or a mature doe) shows up before that.  

My next hunt will probably be Friday afternoon.  That will be my last crossbow hunt of this season, where I am “selective” with my buck tag.  If I get another chance at the solid 130 ish pound field-dressed 4-point, that I passed at 15 yards on this mornings hunt, he’s going to be in trouble next weekend.  I’ll even “settle” for a scrawny 3-1/32” unicorn, on those last 4 hunts, next weekend.   

I’ve read a lot about mid-day peak-rut deer activities, but I have never seen much of it. We shall see.  At least its easy to sit out here, in these weather conditions.  E433F30E-7F1F-4395-BCFC-5F2AF3D2200C.thumb.jpeg.ff3ccf3231d03a59a9102bb2e03113c3.jpeg

17 minutes ago, E J said:

Nice buck.  Any obvious injury on opposite side? I currently have a buck on my place with one goofy side that on the opposite side is missing his foot on his rear leg.

Nope.  And was a horse last year.   I didnt see him this year but its a big ole boy.   

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was out of town but the buck i almost killed last year was killed yesterday frim the same stand.   Interesting to see how his left funky side grew this year.  Congrats to the forum member.  

93509744-6553-49F9-B695-61502B0022AC.jpeg

A1EB427F-283A-47BB-B616-57F4B8D87E79.png

2189AC6E-59DB-4AB0-A982-3D81648A44AC.png

Cool buck!

I was over to some family property yesterday checking cameras and had this big buck come across a cornfield. As he came up the bank to cross the road in front of me I noticed that one of his sides was a little funky with twisted looking tines.  He ran past my truck and I saw that one of his hind legs was deformed above the tarsal area (obviously shot last year) and he couldn't lower it at all. He had no problem jumping the ditch and making it up the steep bank. It's amazing how tough those things are...

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I was out of town but the buck i almost killed last year was killed yesterday frim the same stand.   Interesting to see how his left funky side grew this year.  Congrats to the forum member.  

93509744-6553-49F9-B695-61502B0022AC.jpeg

A1EB427F-283A-47BB-B616-57F4B8D87E79.png

2189AC6E-59DB-4AB0-A982-3D81648A44AC.png

Looks like he got 1/2 his genes from that monster 4 point you had there a couple years ago.  That was a cool buck as well 

• Haha 1

Cool buck!
I was over to some family property yesterday checking cameras and had this big buck come across a cornfield. As he came up the bank to cross the road in front of me I noticed that one of his sides was a little funky with twisted looking tines.  He ran past my truck and I saw that one of his hind legs was deformed above the tarsal area (obviously shot last year) and he couldn't lower it at all. He had no problem jumping the ditch and making it up the steep bank. It's amazing how tough those things are...

One of my top targets from last year either got shot in his rear leg or hit by a car and his entire rack shrank with one side now looking like a trident. He’s still covering ground and hitting scrapes but looks awkward as hell moving around. Such tough creatures

66f4e5ac4da95c523a5fea3ac993ed70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

93509744-6553-49F9-B695-61502B0022AC.thumb.jpeg.835339f0beca829a06bb872191963902.jpeg
A1EB427F-283A-47BB-B616-57F4B8D87E79.thumb.png.39beba346fdfaef23c1ee7a3acb78a66.png
2189AC6E-59DB-4AB0-A982-3D81648A44AC.thumb.png.ed946c45cd96a7bea9edfbc12cc7168a.png
Congrats to him. I saw. Is he going to post anything about it though? Well deserved.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

TheHornHunter, that's quite a transformation!

I had a guy call me today about a deer he shot that was in need of some repair work. It was a really cool triple beamed buck but was missing his left side at the base. Between that and a new cape, I warned him that it was probably more of an undertaking that he wanted to get himself into. Crappy deal, it was a really cool looking deer.

Screenshot_20221106-114000.png

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 3

Not sure what to do with this crazy wind and 70+ degree temps. Not heading into a either thick swamp to shoot a deer on a Sunday night.

Hardwood oak ridge. Marginal wind sending scent down over mountain behind me. Pond and green hay field down in front of me. Last time i hunted here I shot a 178lb dressed buck that I could sit down in it's rack. Pretty windy tonight though.20221106_142712.jpg20221106_142730.jpg

18 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Congrats to him. I saw. Is he going to post anything about it though? Well deserved.

It was Culver.  No idea if he will post the story.   Like GMan i just enjoy when someone kills a good one at my place.  I happened to have history with this buck and got the cell cam live pic minutes before the kill.  I knew Bob was going to kill him before i even texted bob last night.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It was Culver.  No idea if he will post the story.   Like GMan i just enjoy when someone kills a good one at my place.  I happened to have history with this buck and got the cell cam live pic minutes before the kill.  I knew Bob was going to kill him before i even texted bob last night.  
Yea I saw him post pictures on facebook.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

One of my top targets from last year either got shot in his rear leg or hit by a car and his entire rack shrank with one side now looking like a trident. He’s still covering ground and hitting scrapes but looks awkward as hell moving around. Such tough creatures

66f4e5ac4da95c523a5fea3ac993ed70.jpg

Man thats a big bodied buck! 

• Like 2

TheHornHunter, that's quite a transformation!
I had a guy call me today about a deer he shot that was in need of some repair work. It was a really cool triple beamed buck but was missing his left side at the base. Between that and a new cape, I warned him that it was probably more of an undertaking that he wanted to get himself into. Crappy deal, it was a really cool looking deer.
Screenshot_20221106-114000.thumb.png.d37632e22ef36333c12427971246188a.png

Damn that’s too bad, that’s a really unique buck! Don’t come around triple beamed bucks too often

8 hours ago, Zag said:

Just saw an albino weasel. Weird and cool right?!

8 hours ago, First-light said:

I was told they change color when we get close to snow. I found a dead white on in my shed. 

I'm not a small game expert.  Many years ago while deer hunting in the Catskills I saw a white weasel?/martin?/ermine? (no idea what it was) that was definitely not albino.  

• Like 1